Trouble finding, remembering words

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Friends I see regularly at our masjid or some that I've known since before the complex partials began, I usually have no problem with. The issue is more with people I've met recently, or my husband's friend's wives who I rarely see.

I Signed to my Wife, "what is concussion" and she answered out loud "concussions?"
Just for clarity: "Concussion" in Sign is: You touch the side of your head, then make that hand into a fist and SLAM it into your apposing palm. So that is why ASL works sometimes (if I know the Sign; I have a fairly -well, kind of- good ASL vocabulary just can't form sentences with it) and I mean SOMETIMES, if I don't recall the word in English.

It's why I have to take my Wife into exams with me, if I can't lipread because they're talking too fast, have a mustache covering their mouth, keep their back to me, keep covering their face, have a thick accent, etc... she provides the translation of the significant parts. Usually after I tell them that I'm deaf, show them my T-shirt that says that I'm deaf, show them my HAT that says that I'm deaf, when they forget and they forget a LOT, I just say in what I hope is a smiling voice "Still deaf..."

What I **HATE** are the apologies. I always respond with something like "Oh now come on. How many deaf people do you see in a day? NO NEED to apologize".
Anyway sorry that the explanation of the Sign for "concussion" became a rant. Thanks for reading, though. This truly IS the nicest, most understanding Forum that I've ever joined and with I have had the genuine pleasure of membership.

To be honest I don't even ask for names anymore. Give someone a chance to talk about themselves and they will

If I run into someone that I know but don't remember their name I'll also give them some time to talk about themselves to see if I remember it. If I still don't remember I'll flat out ask them what their name is, I'm not afraid to do it anymore. I joke with people telling them that everyone should have to wear nametags so we know who they are.

The only reason I had to remember my sister-in-laws mother's name is because the family was together doing something. When I needed to get her attention then I had to say her name. It just wouldn't stick up there until my mom told me how to remember it.

Back
Top Bottom