Valentine's Day—Not Just for Lovers!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Cint

VIP
Supporter
Reaction score

As stores fill to bursting with bright red Mylar balloons, heart-shaped boxes of chocolates and mountains of envelope-encased sentiments in honor of the patron saint of lovers, St. Valentine, remember that he is also the patron saint of epilepsy.

Medicine and religion have long been intertwined, however medical practitioners were sometimes regarded skeptically in medieval times causing people to seek spiritual intervention for their illnesses. In addition, brain disorders in the 14th and 15th centuries were widely regarded as supernatural phenomena incited by evil spirits or the devil.

Because many people believed their symptoms were the work of dark spiritual forces, it made sense for them to combat their perceived tormenters with an antidote to evil in the form of saints—in particular patron saints, who were believed to have restorative abilities for specific ailments.

Information on the origins of St. Valentine's connection to epilepsy differs. Some accounts suggest he is connected to epilepsy because the name Valentine is similar to the German word for "fallen." Epilepsy was once known as the "falling sickness" because some seizures caused a person to lose consciousness and fall. Still other legends propose that a 3rd century bishop named Valentine von Terni freed the son of a Roman orator from an epileptic seizure.

The good news is, medical research and an increasing variety of scientifically proven therapies have improved the lives of the over 3 million people living with epilepsy in the United States, significantly diminishing the need to turn to supernatural forces for respite!

So this Valentine's Day, amid all the sugar-coated, floral-scented hype, remember that Valentine's Day is not just for lovers, it's for people with epilepsy too.

from epilepsyfoundation.org / newsroom

Hmmmm....

:? And here I thought my hubby picked Valentine's Day to get married on so that he had no way of forgetting.... :):bigsmile:

Thanks Cint - Do ya think I can get my wife to take me out to dinner for St Valentine's Day?

Maybe she will buy mine for epilepsy and I can buy hers for that love thing (just remembered, this is our 30th Valentine's together).

Hawke? Would you be my Valentine?

<--- inserts Card in Hawke's Valentine's
Day Box --- just like in grade school days!

:D

valentine_funny_picture_04.jpg

:bump:
Thought this thread could use a bump for today.

Thanks Eric for the reminder that I am single :eek:)

Wahoooo I received a mysterious bottle of wine and box of choc's at work yesterday for today. I wonder who they were from????????

I am so excited, maybe I have a secret admirer :rock:

Only brain remembered me. Everyone else forgot me today. Sure will brain. I will be your Valentine.

Thanks Eric for the reminder that I am single :eek:)

Wahoooo I received a mysterious bottle of wine and box of choc's at work yesterday for today. I wonder who they were from????????

I am so excited, maybe I have a secret admirer :rock:

You're welcome.

Keep us informed if anything becomes of the wine & chocolate.

Good luck

No one remembered ME!! :crying::crying:
Who's my Valentine? :ponder:

No one remembered ME!! :crying::crying:
Who's my Valentine? :ponder:

I'll be yours Cint if you'll be mine - I didn't get anything either, apart from MAN-FLU :D

Come and rub something into my chest....you know you want too :rock:

Back
Top Bottom