Vimpat? Talk to me...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

qtowngirl

CWE Supporter/E Hater
Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone who is or has been on Vimpat - speak away.
Side effects, did it lower seizures, anything you'd like to share. All I've been told is that it's a good adjunctive (add-on) therapy (I currently take 1000mg/day Carbamazepine), and am working my way up to 400mg/day if it's deemed necessary.

I tried Vimpat in March/April 2011. I was on Keppra XR with it. I'll have to look back, but if I recall right, I was on it for about a month. My dr gave me some trial packets. I got up to 100mgs a day. But the thing I couldnt handle was being depressed, having crying spells everyday, all day long. I hated my life. I remember my aunt coming over and walking in to ask where I was? My husband told her that I havnt been myself, and I was in our bed crying my eyes out, not wanting to go on anymore. She said to call my drs office. I spoke with another neuro there, and was told to cut it in half for a week to see if things improve. But they didnt change. One serious side effect of Vimpat is having depression or suicidal thoughts. Being a stay at home mom, I had to make sure I was feeling ok to take care of the kids. I had to get off and within days of being off, I was back to myself again.

Qtowngirl... I'm on it right now, as an add-on to Dilantin. I started at 50mg twice/day, and increased each dose by another 50mg every week, until I hit 200mg. Some side effects, but I've come to expect it with these meds.

A week after being on 200mg each dose, I felt numbness in my lips in the morning, but didn't much of it. Took my evening dose, and about 30 minutes later, I was numb from my nose to my chest, couldn't breathe or swallow, and my heartbeat felt like it was pumping out of my chest. My dad brought me to the hospital, was eventually given benadryl after the ER doc googled Vimpat because he had never heard of it. My Neurologist's nurse informed me the next morning when I called her that it was not an allergic reaction, but rather that my body couldn't tolerate it that high. Told to reduce it to 150mg per dose, but I talked to the nurse again today, because I'm having a hard time with the side effects while working during the day. Tomorrow I'm to start 100mg during the day, 150mg in the evening, and to call her back on Monday to follow-up.

I don't write this to scare you, but just to share what I'm feeling. I'm generally dizzy, drowsy, still a bit of numbness in my lips. I'm not a fan, but yes, they are helping in reducing my seizures some. Oh, and between the Dilantin and Vimpat, I seem to be losing some weight! YAY!!

Given the amount of time I need to wait to get into the Epilepsy Monitoring Unit, I might as well try something.

Oh, and if you haven't filled the prescription yet, be warned, it's expensive. I just paid $88, would have been $450 for a month if I didn't have insurance coverage through work. :(

I'd be curious to hear how Vimpat works for you! I hope you have much more luck on this than I! Good luck, and let me know :)

Last edited:
qtowngirl

I am after being put on vimpat, it started of good and it does seem to help with the seizures or at lest that is the impression I get from it. Then you have the fast heart rate, this is not good, it can make healing of a cut difficult, your balance does not seem quite right and being breathless. It seemed to be working but the side effects are not worth it.

I was on Vimpat for 4 months, it was working great, but suddenly stopped working but I think that is an issue I seem to have I seem to growing out of my meds. I was taking it as an add on.

Moongal,
mind if i ask what it was an add-on to, and what dosages you were on?

Love vimpat. It reduced my seizures. Just vimpat all by itself. Just 3 months on it so far.
No noted side effects. Maybe some dizziness. I have said goodbye to most little seizures but bigger ones tend to sneak through.

Love vimpat. It reduced my seizures. Just vimpat all by itself. Just 3 months on it so far.
No noted side effects. Maybe some dizziness. I have said goodbye to most little seizures but bigger ones tend to sneak through.
Great news LJ-Bain!! Happy to hear that you're having good success with it! I know that you and I have the same neurologist, and he's pretty adamant about keeping me on it, despite the side effects I've been notifying him about.. so we'll see. How much are you taking?

I'm on 150mg twice daily. Yes, I think it is a drug that he loves. It's funny how neurologist find something they like then run with it. I guess it's a good thing!

Back
Top Bottom