Visual Triggers?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Heavy Kevy

Stalwart
Reaction score
I possibly had strobe lights cause a seizure. I’ve never had a visual trigger issue. I’ve been tested for it I can’t count how many times. I went to a concert in a theater and they had intense strobe lights. I closed my eyes a few times and remembered thinking it felt like a test.
After the show we waited outside for about a half hour before getting picked up. Thankfully the seizure didn’t occur until I had gotten in the car. Apparently I unbuckled and started getting out of the moving car. 😬 But that’s a different story.

Can there be a “delay” to visual triggers?

I think if the frame rate of any strobe light is too high it could cause seizures in anyone to be honest as it aggravates the mind. I do believe delay to visual triggers are possible, too, because it takes the mind time to readjust to light changes.

I haven't been diagnosed with photosensitive epilepsy, either, but I walked into a grocery store here after they upgraded and added the most intense fluorescents I've ever seen. felt like staring at the sun - ridiculous. Within 10 minutes in the store, I start feeling like I'm having some out of body experience or something, my mind becomes super foggy. I think I had forgotten my sunglasses at home that day, because I know I would've been wearing them otherwise. I start feeling nauseated and my husband is trying to ask me questions and I was struggling with my speech and thoughts. He got the kids and we went to the checkout line to get out of there. It was nighttime so at least it was dark outside. A few minutes in the dark car, I felt horrible still, but fully recovered after about 10 - 20 minutes. My husband said, "I think you almost had a seizure in there." I agreed. I haven't been back in that store.

I also start feeling like I'm not in my own body around certain strobe lights as well - especially if they're going on for an extended period of time. When I'm away from them, I get better. I feel like I must be photosensitive to a degree.

Never hurts to bring it up to your neurologist since I'm not a doctor or anything.

Colors and rates produce different wavelengths. I think I grew a tolerance from months working in a night club and learning when to go have a seizure quietly in the bathroom. But now any loud noises and I am dead

Back
Top Bottom