Voice/auditory issues

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

gnault

New
Reaction score
Does anybody find that they have issues with vocal or auditory? My wife says my voice is so quiet sometimes that she can hardly hear me at times. I read in a few articles that temporal lobe epilepsy or some AEDS can cause issues with auditory control.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

I have left temporal lobe epilepsy and had surgery in 2011. I started having focal seizures again in 2013. When I have a funny feeling /seizure my aura is that I hear a strange noise.
Most of my seizures are when I'm at home on my own or when I do have them at work & feel an aura coming I go down the back away from my co workers so not many people have seen them. But I once had a seizure in front of my hairdresser and she said my voice was high pitched and I was talking really fast.

A couple of years ago not long after I started having the funny feelings one of the neuros said it made sense I heard noise as the area of my brain where the scarring was and which was removed is close to the area of brain where sound comes from.

Last edited:
You might want to consider that your wife is the one with the problem - ie. development of hearing loss. You might want to encourage her to get her hearing tested to see if this is an issue.

Good Suggestion! I didn't know I was going severely deaf until my roommates at the time, all but dragged me to get a hearing test. Up 'til then I was sure a LOT of people were just mumbling. When the loss comes on slowly, it can be very difficult to notice. People also got angry at me, thinking I was't listening, or paying attention to them.

Another point on this: As we age I read it is not uncommon for our speech processing in the brain to slow down, which can also affect hearing and communication.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom