[News] We Can Predict A Seizure 20 min. Before It Happens

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

acshuman

New
Reaction score
I can only say that I read an article in the Epilepsy News section of the site that said some Spanish doctors think they have developed a new algorithm that can predict when a person is going to have a seizure and let the person know 20 minutes before the seizure is supposed to happen.
WHAT A JOKE!!!! :roflmao: If these quacks think that they can predict when a person is going to have a seizure, it isn't going to be long before they are going to be saying that they can predict the exact minute a baby is going to have a heart attack decades in the future!
Seizure are NOT something that can be predicted. They happen at any time for many reasons. There are so many variables that it would take all of infinity to even attempt to figure out when a seizure may happen!
This is nothing but an attempt to scam people with some kind of prediction of when something may happen that the person lives in fear of. JUST A MONEY-MAKING SCAM! :rolleyes:

ACsHuman

Last edited:
Why does this sound like a joke? The algorithm will interpret the data from the brain implant that is monitoring the conditions of the brain, there are obviously some pre-signals that the brain and body (controlled by the brain) give off before a seizure, seizure alert dogs recognize changes and alert why not a direct brain implant?

Neuropace monitors EEG and learns your brains patterns to better control seizures.
Without knowing the particulars of the implant and monitoring system one could imagine how this could work very well.
If the implant could directly monitor a seizure focal area then even the most minor excitation, the briefest ictal/inter-ictal discharges, would be observed and logged and used to help predict seizures and seizure patterns.

I would say the claim of 20 minute warning might be a stretch, maybe claiming "up to" a 20 minute warning but even a 30 second warning would be of assistance to someone with no aura/simple partial to warn of a bigger tonic clonic seizure.

Even a 30 second warning could be the difference between laying down before a seizure and falling down during a seizure, preventing some injury, giving time to call out for help.

Not sure why you would see it as a money making scam, if it comes from British Doctors, it'll likely be trialed under the NHS, which it free! xD

I think you need to step back and see this as a positive step forward, rather than home in on the negatives before you've even seen any results.
As Frink mentioned, why do you think people have seizure alert dogs? There is obviously some sort of change that will probably go unnoticed by the person having a seizure, just think of what a seizure does to your mind, how are we to judge whether or not somethings changed before a seizure when we're probably incapable of doing so.

I think it's brilliant that they're still trying to find ways of making people's lives who live with epilepsy easier and more tolerable.

But hey, obviously you know best. You've had years of extensive training, and get paid to treat people with epilepsy, so it's obvious that you're right and they're wrong - oh wait, no it's not!

Last edited:
I have the VNS and when I feel a seizure coming on, usually within a minute, I can use my magnet to stop the seizure or at least calm it. So maybe this article IS
s-t-r-e-t-c-h-i-n-g the truth somewhat, but there is some hope in the future that seizures could be predicted earlier, therefore stopped before a person is injured.

And as stated, why do you think there are seizure-alert dogs? And for some of us women, hormones tell us a lot!

Why would you find this a joke or a money making scam, do you not think this would be a good thing if it came to fruition. I presume you are refering to this article, "Computer scientists and mathematicians at the CEU Cardenal Herrera University in Valencia have developed a prediction model that can warn epileptic sufferers of an upcoming seizure with 20 minutes notice."

I think it would be very helpful if something like this was developed, it may help at lest one person, "Being able to predict the onset of a debilitating seizure would significantly improve the quality of life of epileptics. With this goal, scientists from around the world competed in the American Epilepsy Society Seizure Prediction Challenge in 2014."

I am sure you seen this old article in epilepsy news.

"Drug study on kids won't need consent: Seizure medications can be given without telling parents (USA Today)" from 2007, "The trial is expected to see how 240 children respond to two anti-seizure drugs, diazepam and lorazepam."

So you can do a drug study on kids.

Sorry, I don't Agree

I feel that something like this could be helpful IF it could ever be done.
With the huge number(trillions) of cells in the brain and the many different ways that each cell can transmit signals it would take light years to ever try to analyze these signals. The algorithm that would be needed would take the fastest computer ever made, yet it would take an amount of time that would go on into infinity.
I am not a researcher for E, but I have studied Mathematics and what how they can be used to figure things out. I am also a computer programmer(software)If a doctor figured out the algorithm that could do this, they would have to be smarter than all of the geniuses that have existed before them combined.
Every time that one of the 'predictors' has claimed to be the best there has been a large percentage of false warnings of a seizure. If a person is suppose to be able to put their confidence into one of these 'predictors', the person can't be given too many false warnings. This will cause a person to not pay attention to the 'predictor' or even shut the app off(they have to have a smart phone or computer to receive the signal from the implant).
How can a person feel confident about something if it is giving false warnings and at the same time it is sometimes not warning the person when a seizure actually happens? It would seem as though this would cause more stress and anxiety for a person.
Any person who would feel OK doing this is free to have this done. I just know that I would never believe in something like this! :twocents:

ACsHuman

The Spanish team of scientists was one of several who responding to a challenge to use "Big Data" (number-crunching of the available data) to improve the ability of technology to detect and predict seizures. See https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-epileptic-seizures-with-82-percent-accuracy/ for more about the challenge.

I think the idea is that the algorithms would be used in concert with RNS-type implants to improve their success rate. I agree that the technology is still far from perfect (and may never be). But for those with drug-refractory epilepsy, implants offer yet another treatment avenue. Making the implants more accurate is a worthwhile goal.

IBM is getting into the act as well: http://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/ibm-artificial-brain/

I think big data and algorythms might be useful to predict certain types of seizures under certain circumstances, perhaps (probably) not all types of seizures and seizures caused by all types of trigger. It's an interesting challenge and very worthy to examine further, certainly no research to laugh about IMO.

Myself good idea do it someone who not diagnosed with e maybe routine one on airline pilot
Something like that or use for the really abnormal type.For now still need use it with care and more than one country.
How many of us e come out of blue no aura or visa versa.Great idea but needs many more people and do people always want to know

Myself good idea do it someone who not diagnosed with e maybe routine one on airline pilot
Yes this does sound like a terrific idea for my ex, who is also an airline pilot! :clap: Let them try something like this on him and he would know in advance what the hell I go thru!!
Ha!

seagull said:
How many of us e come out of blue no aura or visa versa.Great idea but needs many more people and do people always want to know

IMO, it is a great idea and YES, I like to know when a seizure is coming on because mine have been known to be violent and I need time to get to a safe place.

Back
Top Bottom