weight gain vs no brain

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

music man

New
Reaction score
Hi music man here. Epival has taken me to 250 lbs and that is with me working out 4-5 days per week and doing some cycling, and watching what i eat.
So i ask for a change meds ergo Topomax the plan is to be on both until for approx 2 months then slowly taper off Epival.................. except . The Hero thats me, is losing his mind with the side affects paranoia , depression, confusion, can't formulate a sentence , have to stop colleages mid sentence and slow them down because i can't follow them. And i am a jazz musician and over the period of time i have been taking this med can't get through a tune that i have been playing for three months and recorded now without completeley screwing it up . I guess this little experiment is over .
Its cabbage soup and carrots and the treadmill.

That is horrible, i'm sorry you even have to have these compromises with the drugs. Your mind is so important. I wouldn't let yourself slip to far away mentally though. Once that happens it is really hard to come back. Is there anything else you can try?

Are there any other meds you could try?

HI

There are others of course and each has their own side affect mainly to do with memory loss . I guess the trade off here is that.... A... i am blessed that i have a med that is working, others are far less fortunate .Okay it slows down my metabolism . So now the new task at hand is to look to diet and nutrition and continue with exercise. I'll just be grateful to get my mind back and play again.
Thanks for listening folks.
Ed

I think i've lost my mind along with my figure on tegretol but so far it seems to be working pretty good for seizures.

A compromise would be nice lol.

*shares out the cabbage soup*

Dear Loopy Lou
All these wonderful side affects. All this aside nice to hear from kin from across the pond, mayhaps one day we will share a bowl of the dreaded cabbage gruel with trembling hands another side affect! .
Be well and enjoy the day.
Music man

Hi Music Man,

Topomax is one of those medications that plays havoc with one's mind/memory. That is why it is nicknamed Dopemax. When I initially started taking it years ago, I too, couldn't finish my sentences and had to stop mid-sentence because I forgot what I was talking about. I had trouble following conversations, also. I don't remember specifically how long I took that med, but I was taking it for several years and at least I did lose 20 lbs. while taking it.

better than keppera and the good old RAAGE!!!!!!

Hi i would love to lose the weight but couldn't afford to lose my mind in the process so i will really put an effort into getting an expert opinion around my diet and exercise routine. Even after a few days off the med i am beginning to brighten up. They tried Keppra in the beginning and i would just fall down go boom.
Ah well, forward ever forward.
Be well and one with your universe Cint person
Music Man

Zonegran? I know it also kills appetite but from the little I know doesn't kill the brain as much. Of course I could be wrong! Type 2 diabetes runs in my family and I'm close to borderline at only 110 pounds, so I know I would freak out (and probably try to figure out something else) if I was on something like that. I did some research when they were talking about putting me on depakote and that's how I learned about Zonegran.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Zonegran is often called the "Supermodel Med" -- because it can make you thin and dumb. (no offense to all the supermodels out there). It's the only med that gave me cognitive side effects. And I did lose weight on it but not in a good way, since the net result was was low blood sugar...

Zonegran is often called the "Supermodel Med" -- because it can make you thin and dumb. (no offense to all the supermodels out there). It's the only med that gave me cognitive side effects. And I did lose weight on it but not in a good way, since the net result was was low blood sugar...

Sounds like you and I would have opposite problems with these type of drugs! :) First T/C seizure

I guess just from what I read it seemed like Zonegran was the best of two evils when it came to drugs that helped you lose weight. However, with no experience of my own with either, I can only guess based on other experiences, and obviously everyone's experience is different!

Hi This is as your are aware a Journey where the big heads are tweaking the the meds and we ride the waves. Everyone is different and thusly at some point i think we come to accept this is as good as it gets ( if after ivestigation it is) and we move on and trudge the happy road to destiny .
Soldier on Soldier.
music man

Everyone is different and thusly at some point i think we come to accept this is as good as it gets ( if after ivestigation it is) and we move on and trudge the happy road to destiny .

:agree: For me, this is as good as it gets and I must trudge on to find my destiny. And happiness. :)

Back
Top Bottom