What do your family and friends call your seizures?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Uhura

Reaction score
I haven't been here in a while. My seizures have been controlled but that has changed. Personally, I wish they would call them seizures instead of other terms.
Do your family and friends seem to avoid the term seizure?

Does anyone else hate being asked 'What makes you think you had a seizure?' I know some mean 'What do you think caused your seizure?' but when asked that I often want to tell them: I don't think I had a seizure. I know I had a seizure.

I think my family always just called them seizures. But they don't like to talk about them for the most part...

Years ago my family called it epileptic seizures but as time went by and they heard my Dr. speak they
called it seizure disorder.

I have always preferred epilepsy versus seizure disorder. And the only time I like the term 'epileptic' is if they need to differentiate them from non-epileptic seizures. I used to have those. And it isn't anyone's business but the patient's and doctor's what type of seizure it is. I no longer have them but remember what it was like.

I never really thought about it. Now that you mention it, they do say the same thing.

"You had an 'episode' earlier."

Most of the time I confirm it before they tell me. Like you, I generally know I have one, but since I'm "not there" then it's somewhat nice to confirm.

As for the "What do you think caused your seizure?" I guess the most annoying part about that to me is I always wanna reply, "If I knew I would stop it so that I would stop having seizures!" That's the aggravating part for a lot of people (to me anyway). What do I have to do to make it go away?! I can't watch football anymore? FINE! If that's what it takes, then here, take your football and leave! šŸ˜‚

My family has always called them seizures.

The usually say "Do you think you had a seizure"? I usually don't feel a seizure coming on and unless someone is there to see me have it 9 times out of 10 I don't know that I had one.

Some ways that I think I might have one are: I have a VNS and my magnet might be sitting beside me and not be hooked onto my pants then there's a good chance that I've had one but didn't have enough time to use the magnet. Sometimes I'll get horrible migraines after seizures and if I get one then I might have had one. I walk around during seizures so if I'm in a room that I hadn't been in then. I pick things up and move them sometimes during seizures too.

My family might say "You didn't get much sleep yesterday", or "You had a lot of caffeine". These are both things that can cause my seizures. Usually they just come out of no were however.

I know when I had a seizure usually. The kind where I fall, I am aware that I had a seizure. And if I have especially bad coordination and shaking, I suspect I will have one. But I still don't like the question phrasing of why do I think I had one and still want to reply that I know I had one. Oh well, there are worse things in life that people using that phrasing.

Back
Top Bottom