What if you can't remember "did I take my meds?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Janus

Veteran
Reaction score
Some days I can't remember if i too my meds when its lunch time. Or I am falling asleep in bed, and think; did I take them or not? I can usually remember after a while of thinking, but if you can not remember, should you take another dose (potentially double dosing which can be trouble for your body.)????? What do people do to not forget?

Janus,
Do you have a pill box which you can keep your pills in?

I have a pill box which sits on my kitchen bench right near where I sit at the computer. The one I use is 7 separate boxes (1 for each day) with a section for AM & PM meds.
I usually find the best way to remember is to have my meds with my meal (eg breakfast/dinner).

Before I had my surgery I was on 3 lots of AEDs, one of them I took 3 times a day (Am, lunch, PM). I had a separate pillbox for the lunch meds which I kept in my bag because I was usually out during the day so would take the med when I had my lunch.
I'm now down to just one med (Keppra) which I take both AM & PM.

My doctor gave me a sheet that I have to tick off each dosage I take :) which can be made from an excel spread sheet. It has really helped me. Depends what you prefer to do. I have it on my fridge with a pen. As long as you remember to tick the sheet :)

I have a medication organizer with unit for every day of the week. Each one has a separate space for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and bedtime. If I didn't have it, I would definitely forget to take my meds. I bought it at my local Walgreens.

Attachments

• 450.jpg
    450.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 3
Like the others, I use a box...I constantly forget if I take them, so I just go to the box and look in to see if they're gone or not. Must be the Dopamax! lol

I too also use a seven day pill case and re-fill it when ive hit the last day. thats also when i check to see if i have more in stock or if i need to go into the store pharmacy to get more. Im also on automatic refill at the pharmacy to make sure that they NEVER run out of my meds. that could be a helpful tool if you forget and at the last minute realize your short on pills.

i keep my pill case next to my bed on my night stand and make sure to bring it with me if im going to be out passed my next dosage time. i also have an alarm set on my cell phone to go off at each dosage time. all the time. day and night.

((if you dont want to bring your pill case everywhere when you go out, try buying one of those small silver canisters that has a small screw in top and fits on your key chain)) i love mine for when i dont want to haul a whole pill case around.

Oh yes, i need a pill box (but can't i make one?) I also call the pharmacy on the day i am out because i forgot to call when getting low. That is always risky and they keep asking me to call sooner and i say, 'hey i am a busy guy! i'll try to remember.)

you could always try making one sure but what if you FORGET?? lol

i suggest just getting one from a 99 cent store. also the silver canisters that got on your key chain are only a buck maybe two at the most. their metal so they last FOREVER. = )

something to think about next time you go to get your pills or renew your prescription.

There is no "What if" but just a plain "I don't" when remembering to take my pills. Luckily I just take morning and evening and because I'm on Dilantin (with a 24 hour half-life) I don't have to remember every 12 hours. I have a friend who automatically knows when it is 6 AM & 6 PM to take her pills. She simply amazes me.

Like everyone else, I have a 7 day pill box - large compartments and only $1.25 at Walmart - to help me. There are those days - especially when I get stressed out - that I'll wake in the morning to find I hadn't taken last nights. I do what they say not to and take the forgotten dosage. Not advising that anyone else do that but it has worked for me with Dilantin.

Hoping you find a solution that works for you.

Janus, if you make one take a pic if you can... I'd love to see it! I would love to have an alternative to the cold and impersonal one I bought at Walgreens :)

Yeah Janus,i would like to see it to,hell i might even order one off you!!! But back to the question im 8am and 8pm and tend to get a dull ache in my head,it's hard to explain.But as soon as feel it i know i have forgotton to take my meds.

bah, i wish i was this organised!

i'm allways forgetting, well actually i'm allways remembering other times i've taken them instead- coz it's usually around the same time (12/12), and only in a few places- so even if i do remember taking them, i know i can't allways rely on that.

i'm lucky atm coz i have to split a lamacital 50 each day, so i know if there's a half by my bedside after lunch i haven't had them yet :)

i used to have one of those keychain devices- but can be hard to explain away if you're having your collar felt randomly and the tabs are just loose inside...

to get back to the main question though- if i'm really sure i missed them, i'll either wait till at least halfway through the cycle and do them then, but mainly will just take them as soon as i get up. (rather have a potential seizure than freak my body out with a double-drop)

I am working on a sculpture right now that is all a whole bunch of these empty, plastic pill bottles from my meds. They wont re-use them and i don't believe in 'disposable' so i save them for art. All my art is from found objects and used things that are re-assembled into sculpture. So, i could not buy a plastic one but i love the idea so i will have to think of some way to make one. If i weld a metal one that sounds impractical, i don't know yet.

that's so cool, there's quite a big 'found art' scene over here.

and of course to us, a sculpture out of med bottles will allways have a more profound effect :)

let us know tho, if you get a good idea for a pillbox- do you take commissions? :)

Thanks Slim. I live in a smallish, redneck town that claims to be progressive. My style of art is not welcome here because 'What the hell? that is junk.' and they only like water-colors of flower bouquets.

I have a feeling you would have quite a line of customers, me being one.

Back
Top Bottom