What would you tell your younger self?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Not to take those bloody magic mushrooms,im sure they triggered my epilepsy in some way.

Not to take those bloody magic mushrooms,im sure they triggered my epilepsy in some way.
hmmmm.... mmm hmmm. I must admit I'm nodding my head. Though I know for a fact that the 'fun things' did not bring the epilepsy on, there's no doubt they haven't helped. Tough though, I have a very hard time letting anything control me, and doubly so back in the day.

As for the rest of it, there's a few things I wouldn't have spent so much time on, one past relationship for sure, and more things for me that I'm trying to achieve right now (schooling) but due to other people's needs not really going anywhere. It's BS really.
So, I would have told myself to stop putting other people first, esp. if/as the e gets worse.

hmmmm.... mmm hmmm. I must admit I'm nodding my head. Though I know for a fact that the 'fun things' did not bring the epilepsy on, there's no doubt they haven't helped. Tough though, I have a very hard time letting anything control me, and doubly so back in the day

Im stickin with the mushrooms,took them saturday night,heading for a & e in an airambulance monday morning,what a great start to the week!!! Still the docs reckoned no WTF!!!

HAHA!!! Yes well the "fun things" as you have so eloquently put them,they certainly had me on my back unconcious a few times,lessons learned? never.There is this thing called maturity i have heard of,but im doubtful of its existence,then you never know.

I would have tried harder for my patents to understand and get me to a Dr.

I would have had children or a least adopt. ( I would be a grandmother by now)

I would have follow my dream of being a designer.

There is nothing that sais no now. I'm telling you I have the worse siezures in the world. You can do what ever you choose to do.There might be some red tape or people trying to stop you. But if you love it fly with it. Accept the fact that you are goona fail a few times. Those are learning times. Shake off and move on. Keep focused. Whrite it down every day what your goal is.Give it some time. Then stop talken about it and do it. We believe in you.

USE BIRTH CONTROL and don't get knocked up and married at 19 to someone just as abusive as my dad! I could have gone into the Air Force as planned and none of the horribly stressed events in my life that I believe started my seizures would have happened. I could have traveled the world and make good money instead of walking to the store and cashing in my change to buy a few groceries...I think about this almost daily. My kids deserve a better life with a real family and an energetic mom AND dad who can play with them and take them on playdates and buy them everything they need and put them in good schools...I don't feel good enough for them, oftentimes I find my 5 yr old asking me what he can do for me and comforting me while I'm sobbing and that is NOT fair to him. I would tell my younger self to stay focused on my air force dream and keep my damn legs closed.

(((HUGS))) Mela, I feel for you and really this E bs is all you needed. From the way you talk tho it sounds like you're a great mom. Kids are tougher than we think. I get it that you don't feel right your little guy comforting you, but from a person on the outside I think that is utterly adorable. You must be raising him right for him to be so sweet and thoughtful of others.

I know kids are tough, but I also know I remember terrible things happening when I was little, so I know this is what he will remember. I hate that my son won't remember Disney World or fun family trips, only mommy not feeling good and ER trips :-(

that's my biggest fear of having children or not being able to take care of them or my child themself getting E due to prior knowledge i had to stop it by not having any.sacrifice will have to make cause i wanted kids since i was young yes odd for a guy to want kids!

that's my biggest fear of having children or not being able to take care of them or my child themself getting E due to prior knowledge i had to stop it by not having any.sacrifice will have to make cause i wanted kids since i was young yes odd for a guy to want kids!

AC, I don't think it's odd at all, majority of the men in my life have either had kids and treated it as their favourite thing ever, or, for instance, my first serious bf (that's for boyfriend AND best friend), his life goal from the time he was about 10 was to have kids, kids, kids.

Hmmmmmm,its strange how diffrient people want diffirent things.Personally kids are a way down on my list,unless i met the woman off my dreams and was then going to spend the rest of my life with her.Then kids,maybe.But i can hardly look after myself let alone kids im afraid.

Last edited:
LOL,haha,you just never know whats round the corner eh?

Back
Top Bottom