Would you wear a skin patch over taking pills?

Would you wear a skin patch over taking pills?

• Yes - If it was equally as effective.

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • No - It would wash off and be too risky.

Votes: 9 9.9%
  • Maybe - I may give it a try.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • Never- My life is too complicated to try another thing!

Votes: 7 7.7%

• Total voters

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

If pills are taken properly, up to 99 percent effective. Many women take them for years with no side effects. But they do have downsides. Some studies have shown increases in the rates of certain types of cancer among women who have taken hormones. Many women experience a variety of side effects, including weight loss or gain, skin problems, cramping, menstrual problems, psychological issues, and other problems. Sometimes a woman experiencing side effects can switch brands to make the side effects go away. Sometimes, the side effects persist regardless of the brand or formulation. And sometimes, a person simply doesn't want to be on medication every day indefinitely.

Yes, I'm interested in anything that helps to better control my seizures!

I would because I hate taking 18 pills everyday and at a set time, (that works best for me and my dr.) Sometimes life gets in the way and I will forget to take them till a few hours after I should and my levels get all messed up. If I'm sick I seem to always forget to take my meds on time.

I think that the only reason that would get in the way of taking a patch would be the waterproof-ness (is that even a word? LOL) because if some of the med is washed away in the shower and the med. dose didn't get the same dose consistently then I'd be worried, though there is a clear tape called tegaderm to protect them and are totally waterproof. ;)

My memory is so bad, I really don't know if having a patch would be a good thing or a bad thing.

I would be willing to give anything a try especially if it meant just changing a patch one time a day instead of having to take 3 100g pills 4 times a day- my liver metabolises my gabapentin so quickly I have to take a dose every 6 hours, means I ALWAYS have broken sleep as if I don't take it every 6 hrs, I have a seizure. A patch might enable me to actually get a full nights sleep for the first time in years ( as soon as the kids started sleeping through the night, my neuro realised I needed the nocturnal dose of Gaba for any modicum of control, so not had a full nights unbroken sleep in 7 yrs). Where do I get it from!!! I would sell my soul to the devil if I thought it would help me get better control slapping a patch on is no-where near that!!

I couldn't use a patch of any sort. I'm absolutely terrified of things sticking to me. One of those irrational phobias i suppose. I'd rather bleed to death than use a plaster! (band-aid)

Believe it or not, until 6 yrs ago, I had a phobia of swallowing tablets, couldn't even take a paracetamol when I had a migraine. Soon had to get over that one!! :bigmouth:

Yes, I'd do the skin patch. Right now I'm hurling about every two hours, day and night. (thank you lamictal + diamox) I have to think a skin patch instead of pills might help prevent that.

Me too! Choking down ten pills a day gets pretty tedious...but then again, instead of swallowing ten pills, I would have to stick ten on ten patches :/ hmmm....

Last edited:
Wouldn't custom patches be great? One patch to contain all our meds, and be only 1"x1". And we'd only have to change it once a week. Heaven. We can dream....

I had HRT patches and they washed off really easily so I ended up using loads more than I should have, So that's a big fat NO from me lol.

I was given the patch for Alzheimer's Disease. I broke out in a bad rash. They usually give it if the pills upset the stomach. It upset my stomach anyway. I went back to my doctor and he told me that they put a special glue on it to make sure it stays on for 24 hours.

The answer is no. I will never use it for any health problem. They add glue to it. The neurologist told me after I got the rash.

One time, many decades ago, I was "having some fun" with a boyfriend who was trying to quit smoking via a patch. When all was said and done, I was feeling really weird, lightheaded and dizzy. Then he said, "Hey what are you doing wearing my patch?"
No clue as to how it got transferred.
Maybe the one Ruth had has a new and improved glue. If they could find something in between patches that slip and slide and ones that give you a rash from the strong glue, that would be nice.

hOT WEATHER. TERRIBLE,HIGH CLIMATES, TV,COMPUTER,EPILEPTOLOGITS COULD LIVE OFF OF ME ALONE.*/LOUD muSIC

stilldancing_98 have you ever been on a patch for epilepsy?

It seems good idea but it not your sweat make it slip off patches tent get forgotton there on or falls off another goes on it not cost effective.never work

Back
Top Bottom