H1n1

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

joan

Stalwart
Reaction score
so.. whats everyone doing? Getting the shot or not?

Ive been advised to get both my kids the shot. I'm petrified to do it and petrified not to.

Thoughts?
joan*

Joan, I have mixed feelings too. I feel I will be wrong either way I go. It will be the middle of November before we get the vaccine in CA. I should be able to tell by then.

I do not think that pregnant women should get the vaccine. What will it do to their babies?

Not getting it. But I never get the flu shot, and never get the flu. Since I work at home I'm not exposed to a big chunk o' the population, and I'm not in a vulnerable demographic (young, respiratory or other illness, etc.).

I am NOT getting the shot. Here's my reasons:

1) Everytime I get a flu shot, I end up getting the flu. When I don't get the shot, I don't get the flu. :)

2) It's too new. I don't want to get it and then 5 years down the road they discover some horrible side effect.

Not a chance

I am NOT getting the shot. Here's my reasons:

1) Everytime I get a flu shot, I end up getting the flu. When I don't get the shot, I don't get the flu. :)

2) It's too new. I don't want to get it and then 5 years down the road they discover some horrible side effect.

For the same reasons above. And mostly because of how new it is, I am sre they didnt test it with people who have epilepsy and the mixtures of drugs we have in our system. Let alone test it with any other sort of disabilty or disease.

I am less afraid of getting H1N1 than I am of getting the shot. Mostly because they had to manipulate that strain to get it be fightable in our system.

They said it is most harmful to pregnant women and people with severe respiratory and heat conditions. I have neither.

We have had an ongoing discussion, with articles etc. You might take a look at this:

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com...c-officially-named-h1n1-flu-apr-29-09-a-6444/

I am sure you can tell from what I post on that thread how I feel. However, if there is any question.... I am absolutely NOT going to get this shot or any other that they try to push on me. What I am doing is working to improve our immune system, and if we get the flu... so be it. I am not afraid of the flu.

My granddaughters, age 5 & 10, both have had H1N1, both were very ill especially the oldest. The cough is horrible. The vaccines are not available for H1N1 or common flu where they live as they keep running out. This is NC. So this is a tough decision. I've no children at home, but I'll not be getting the vac. I did receive the reg.flu vacc. I have e. & asthma. With all of the younger people being hit the hardest, I might take my chances with the vaccine.

I'm getting both...got the regular flu shot and I'm fine with that one..just a little sore in the arm. The H1N1 shot isn't available here yet, so I'm forced to wait it out. There are people already in this area who have swine flu. I just take a lot of hand sanitizer with me and wear rubber gloves when handling dirty dishes or wash.

All of canada (all hospitals) recieved the H1N1 shots on monday. They have enough for the entire population of canada supposedly. They give you a shot, and a number. just so they can track how many got the shot and how many didnt.

I got the "seasonal flu" shot but I am not getting the H1N1 shot I just have mixed emotions about it especially hearing on the news about this perfectly healthy 20 something year old cheerleader becoming "disabled" after receiving the H1N1 shot and they said she apparently received a rare reaction to it and the after effects for her is irreversible. She cant walk without pain and she cannot speak well, Very sad story.

If the shot was for me, its easy, Im NOT taking it. But its for my kids so its soo much harder to decide. If Im wrong ::shivers::
After talking to Dr K and her neuro..Im going to hold off getting it. Actually, you really cant even find it now soooo, thathelps too : ) The schools here are pretty good about keeping us updated with whats "running its course". I guess when it hits here, Ill keep them home. I look forward to this passing.. ugh..
I hope you are all well.
joan*

My kids already decided "they don't want the "swine flu" shot It is hard to find the H1N1 shots around here too. Our family Dr doesn't even have the H1N1 shot.They had the seasonal flu shots here a month ago and still have them available I know its a tough decision when you have kids.Maybe talk to the pediatrician and get a second opinion from another pediatrician. If your kid has asthma then you need to think about it............................I know it's a tough decision.

Last edited:
Joan, I got the flu shot last week. I took 2 tylenol about 30 minutes before having it and massaged my are off and on all day. I could not even tell I had had it. I am not going to take the swine flu shot. I just don't believe they have tested it enough. My doctor did tell me if I were uneasy it was more important to take the regular flu shot anyway. My granddaughter(3) did take the reg shot. She has been fine.

I wish the shot had been available in my area sooner. It hit here very early and made my family and I extremely ill. I got pneumonia from it and was almost put in the hospital. I had pneumonia and mononucleosis in 1998 and I felt much sicker with the H1N1 than with the mono. I guess at this point it would be useless for me to get the vaccine.

I was always upset that the headlines in the media focused on the vaccine not being available fast enough.

This is a new vaccine & the only way to hurry up is to do less testing to make sure it's safe. However the media seems to be instigating panic with those types of headlines.

Also, they've reported how many people have died from the H1N1 flu so far but I would like to see the death statistics of a normal flu for other years. They imply from their tone that it's more than normal but if that is the case, why have the normal numbers never been reported on the media?

yes eric, the media like to use fear-mongering as a way to sell news. pitiful, in my opinion.

Well the USMC is not giving the active virus to any Marines that have a lowered immune system. My son received the shot, and all others received the nasel vaccine.

Kudos to the USMC. The Dept of Defense knows that the rates of Autism is far higher in the miltary (for some reason).

Robin.....................very interesting.

I just wish they had more research on this swine flu vaccine before advocating its use for the young.

I have always wondered about the relationship between the vaccines and the rates of autism in this country. It seems as though autism has become an epidemic. I have a few friends with kids with autism and its a challenge to deal with.

I think parents though need to make their own decisions in regards to the vaccines for their kids.

Autism and the military have a deep history together. Children of service members are reportedly almost twice as likely to have autism (1-in-88) than those in the general population (1-in-150). Meanwhile, the Department of Defense quietly spends millions in taxpayer dollars researching the possible causes of autism at far-from-the-spotlight centers around the country.

Recently, several documents have been brought to my attention which, when viewed together, suggest that the Department of Defense has legitimate concerns about vaccine injuries and their possible connection to autism, perhaps more so than other branches of the Federal Government...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-kirby/the-pentagon---a-voice-of_b_148490.html

http://health.usnews.com/articles/h...vaccine-research.html?s_cid=related-links:TOP

My computer cut me off, when I was answering. It is becoming a pandemic where I live. We get the statistics on both types of flu. I live in the Central part of California. We are getting a lot of deaths from the H1N1. The statistics here, where I live, so far no one has died from the seasonal flu.

A lot of young people are dying from the H1N1, though. They are calling it the young people's flu. The vacinne is very rare here. When it is, people start lining up at midnight with their children (it is still warm at nights here), and it is gone in 2 hours. We are not expected to get the vacinne until the middle of November. It was suppose to be the middle of October.

We had the seasonal flu shots. My husband got a 2 day case of it. They say it will probably be to late by the time we get the H1N1 flu shots anyway.

I do not think pregnant women should be getting it at all. What is it going to do to their unborn babies.

Back
Top Bottom