Swine flu.....possible pandemic - Officially named H1N1 Flu (Apr 29,09)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Junebug

New
Reaction score
Anyone heard about what's going on about this? It's some pretty scary stuff. :(
link

MEXICO CITY – A deadly new swine flu strain that has killed at least 20 people in Mexico City and sickened more than 1,000 has "pandemic potential," the World Health Organization chief said Saturday — but some fear it may be too late to contain the outbreak.
With 24 new suspected cases of the swine flu reported Saturday, Mexico City said schools would remain closed and all public events suspended until further notice — including more than 500 concerts, sporting events and other gatherings including the popular weekly bicycle rides on streets closed to traffic.
A hotline set up the previous day fielded 2,366 calls from frightened city residents who suspected they might have the disease. City Health Secretary Armando Ahued said 10 new possible cases of infection have been discovered in the metropolis of 20 million people.
Officials say more than 1,000 people have been infected nationwide. Tests show 20 people have died of the swine flu, and 48 other deaths were probably due to the same strain.
This virus is a mix of human, pig and bird strains that has epidemiologists around the world deeply concerned. The World Health Organization convened in Geneva Saturday to consider whether to declare an international public health emergency — a step that could lead to travel advisories, trade restrictions and border closures.
The agency's director-general, Margaret Chan, said the outbreak involves "an animal strain of the H1N1 virus, and it has pandemic potential" — but it is too early to say whether a pandemic will actually occur.
The CDC and Canadian health officials were studying samples sent from Mexico, and some governments in Asia and Latin America began monitoring passengers arriving on flights from Mexico.
But it may be too late to contain the outbreak, given how widespread the known cases are. If the confirmed deaths are the first signs of a pandemic, then cases are probably incubating around the world by now, said Dr. Michael Osterholm, a pandemic flu expert at the University of Minnesota.
The same virus also sickened at least eight people in Texas and California, though there have been no deaths north of the border, puzzling experts at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
No vaccine specifically protects against swine flu, and it is unclear how much protection current human flu vaccines might offer.

It's also possible that 75 students in NY may have the swine flu too. :(

Link

Test Results May Mark Spread Of Swine Flu To New York

Melvin Baker - AHN Reporter
New York, NY (AHN) - Health officials here are expected to announce as early as today whether it was swine flu that sickened dozens of students at a private school in Queens.

If so, it would heighten concerns nationwide about the spread of a disease that has killed 68 people and strickened about 1,000 in Mexico.

Six persons in California and two in Texas have been confirmed to have contracted the illness by the the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

A third case, of a high school student in San Antonio, Texas, was reported on Friday.

U.S. health officials say the U.S. cases of swine flu have similar characteristics to the deadly strain in Mexico.

In the latest cases in New York, about 75 students at St. Stephens Preparatory School fell ill on Thursday with nausea, fever, dizziness and aches and pains.

On the news last night, I heard that there were 8 confirmed cases of swine flu here in the US. Officials don't believe that it will get as bad as the SARS epidemic that hit a couple of years back. man...isn't that reassuring.....(sarcasm)

They've just confirmed that two people in KANSAS have it as well. One traveled to Mexico recently and the other lived in the same household. Freaky.

There has been cases of swine flu in the US, but so far nobody has died from it here.

The media is calling it swine flu

but they also said that the reason this one is drawing so much attention is because it's part swine, part bird & part human flu - something that's never been seen before.

They also have reported that those in the US have been recovering normally from it.
They are keeping the school closed and in Mexico, the streets are empty.

Suggestions I heard were, if you have flu symptoms please stay home.

I'm a little nervous about it. I live in Texas. I had serious trauma with serious infections that I had IV meds 24/7 for over 2 years and then a year on oral meds. I have only been off oral meds for 9 months. Infectious disease doc had warned me about get any infection until my ablity to fight off an infection has regain strenght, said I need a year after being off oral meds to be at full strength. I have taken flu shot each year since, but the flu shot is immune to this strain. I am washing my hands constantly.

Olive Leaf Extract is a great immune booster. You might ask your doctor if he objects to you trying it. I also like to do a round of probiotics. I know it is good bacteria, but it helps your gut stay in healthy balance, which is good for you overall.

Here are some suggestions from another site:
make everyone take their shoes off at the door, make them shower and change clothes when they get home from school, etc. I use techniques like this to keep me and my sons well in the face of me and one son having a form of cystic fibrosis. We get sick really easily and I work at a large company and am exposed to hundreds of people daily. If I *know* I was exposed to something on a specific day, I take my clothes off the minute I get home and soak them in diet tonic water and peroxide and hit the shower and irrigate my sinuses. Then I load up on supplements. But supplements alone wouldn't do it for me.

I would suggest rubbing alcohol wipes. (Alcohol prep wipes,
at any pharmacy.)

Lysine is an excellent anti-viral. 2000 mg/day.

And your good old friend, Vitamin C. In case of infection, Ester-C
will let you take up to 20g without bowel disturbance, spread
throughout the day...

Other good anti-virals:
Vitamin A
Vitamin E
OLE

Keeping the body at the proper PH. (Most Americans are too acid.)
You make your own judgement call as to how this would or would not help in your particular situation.

Oh yay...two teens at home with flu symptoms. 101 degree temps, body aches, sore throat and cough...and do they bother to stay in their room? No.... *bumping head on wall* Common sense would say, "gee, baybe the other people in the house don't want to get sick...." But no....

You know what... Work have been harping on for years about "pandemic flu" and how we should all have supplies and stuff.

We've been getting the supplies - food, blankets, etc etc, but been laughing it off as stupid and over-enthusiastic.

Ooh do we have egg on our faces...

Mind you, i think there's only been two cases in the UK, and they're in quarantine in Scotland last i heard. Apparently they went on holiday to Mexico, but they won't have been the only ones holidaying there.​

Ok...the teens went to the doc yesterday...they had the tail end of some kind of flu, and now they have strep. One, strep a, and the other strep b... *banging head on wall* yay, I get to stay in my room for another week. If they won't quarantine themselves, I'll quarantine me. Especially since they don't believe in covering their coughs...

Eww... teenagers! (joking!)

Get a watergun and squirt them everytime they get too close.

Today on the Dutch news: several cases of swine flu in Spain and Scottland.
Very scary because that's very close. Especially with the Dutch schools having spring holliday for 2 weeks these days, many people go on a (foreign) vacation with their families.

Last edited:
We have 3 definite cases here in Dallas, 6 probable and a few dozen suspicious cases. One school and one day care have been closed now for cleaning.

The latest from Dallas is the first death from swine flu has happened, a 23 month old baby. Another school closed down this morning after 4 more cases showed up...this is scary

Best to read alternatives for ways to treat this.
Flu shots do not work, best to keep antibiotics to a minimun at this time, give probiotics so the body can work to fight off bad bugs. Increase water consumption, Vit D, Vit C, wash hands, and enjoy your days.

Any other positive suggestions? Fear will only stress you which we all know is an unhealthy way to live.

My suggestion would be to remember that this is just another strain of the flu. Yes, if you get it you'll feel miserable...but the majority of people who get it will NOT die from it. At least here in the US where we have decent sanitation and health care. For those of us with epilepsy, it's important that we continue to get enough sleep, have a healthy diet, get outside and exercise a bit (after all, germs just love the indoors), and continue to take care of ourselves. If you do get the flu, remember that swine flu is primarily respiratory...so if you start having difficulty breathing, dizziness, etc. make sure you get to the doctors and get an anitviral. The antiviral won't get rid of the flu, but it will stop the germ from reproducing efficiently, which will help you have milder symptoms.

by Charles Elliott PhD
The line between the worries of people with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and normal concerns can be quite fuzzy. Worries about a possible pandemic from Swine flu make the line even blurrier than usual. Advice for handling the threat varies considerably. Most of this advice is no doubt wise, especially advice that comes from reputable sources such as the Center for Disease Control (CDC). Be sure to stick with reliable sources for knowing what precautions to take.

For people who have any type of significant anxiety, including OCD about contamination and germs, times like these are especially difficult. You should probably consult with a mental health professional if you are not currently in treatment and feel your distress is climbing. If you are in therapy, you may want to consider making your next appointment sooner than usual. The message is that the swine flu is scary for everyone, but if you’re already a worrier, you’re likely to need some extra help.

However, if you’re currently receiving exposure and response prevention treatment for OCD, we have an important warning. In essence, exposure and response prevention involves exposing you to fears of contaminations by touching dirt, doorknobs, escalator handrails, and other surfaces. And you are asked to refrain from the compulsion to wash your hands. Normally, there are risks from exposure and response prevention, but these are extremely small. Right now, we believe the risks have risen to the point that we issue this warning:

PLEASE AVOID EXPOSURE AND RESPONSE PREVENTION TREATMENT FOR CONTAMINATION OCD IF IT INVOLVES TOUCHING SURFACES THAT HAVE BEEN TOUCHED BY MANY PEOPLE WITHOUT BEING CLEANED AND DECONTAMINATED UNTIL THE SWINE FLU CONCERNS HAVE ABATED. MOST FOLKS WITH OCD HAVE PLENTY OF OTHER TARGETS THEY CAN WORK ON IN THE MEANTIME. YOU CAN NEVER AVOID ALL RISKS, BUT THIS ONE IS UNNECESSARY AT THIS TIME.

Current conditions may even have you wondering:

* Should I wash my hands every ten minutes?
* Should I wash for at least fifteen minutes each time I wash?
* Should I use a mix of harsh bleach, alcohol, and soap each time I wash?
* Should I wear a mask everywhere I go?
* Should I confine myself to my house for the next couple of months?

As guidelines currently exist, the preceding list represents obsessive compulsive behaviors. So what are reasonable precautions to take for now? We reviewed the CDC recommendations and as of today, they suggest:

* Cover your nose when you sneeze.
* Wash your hands often, especially after sneezing.
* Use soap or alcohol based hand cleaner.
* Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth.
* Stay away from obviously sick people.
* Stay home if you’re sick.
* Avoid unnecessary travel to Mexico.
* Call your doctor for advice if you feel sick.

Again, these guidelines could change at any time. If the flu becomes a pandemic, authorities may recommend wearing masks and avoiding schools, churches, etc. for a period of time. Check for updates, but we suggest you limit that checking to no more than once in the morning and once in the evening. Otherwise, the checking can fuel OCD.

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/anxiety/2009/04/swine-flu-a-special-warning-to-those-with-ocd/

Back
Top Bottom