Swine flu.....possible pandemic - Officially named H1N1 Flu (Apr 29,09)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

*chuckle* I'm a school teacher, and I haven't gotten the flu shot since my first year teaching. Why? Because I noticed that every time I got the flu shot, I actually came down with the flu. The years that I haven't gotten the flu shot, I don't get the flu. Thanks for the link Bernard. Good info.

Just remember:
how dozens died and hundreds were injured from vaccines as a result of the 1976 swine flu fiasco, when the Ford administration attempted to use the infection of soldiers at Fort Dix as a pretext for a mass vaccination of the entire country.
To put things into perspective, malaria kills 3,000 people EVERY DAY, and it's considered "a health problem"... But of course, there are no fancy vaccines for malaria that can rake in billions of dollars in a short amount of time.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/29/Swine-Flu.aspx

It's is getting really bad new in Texas...lots of new cases. They are closing entire school districts for 7-10 days right now.

I prob shouldn't say this. But nothing in Oklahoma so far. There's alot in Texas and some in Kansas though. So I expect there to be cases here soon. I've had to get alot of repairs done to my car. So I've been without transportation. Looks like perfect timing to have to stay home.

Officially Renamed ...

H1N1 flu ...

They are not calling it "The Swine Flu" anymore.
I suddenly feel like I am in Star Wars, and having
just met C3PO and R2D2 ... and now we are being
introduced to H1N1-FLU... and he's a killer!

:?

Beam me up Scotty!

*sigh* Personally, I think that the media is doing a great job at creating a panic. Over 30,000 people die each year from the plain old flu. What we in the US are seeing is nothing in comparison. Yes, it's good to take precautions, but I wish that the news shows would go back to actually covering other news. It's simple:

1. Wash your hands often.
2. Get plenty of rest.
3. Eat healthy.
4. Exercise
5. Avoid places where lots people congregate if your worried. (example: malls)
6. Don't shake hands...and if you do, then wash your hands.
7. Cover your cough.
8. Throw away tissues.
9. Don't cough or sneeze on people.
10. Don't touch your face.

11. oh! And if you're sick, stay home.

Last edited:
I am glad our media is keeping us updated. This flu is not like a standard flu and they really don't know how much this will mutate. Most of the new cases in Dallas this week have no connection to going to Mexico...so how are they getting it? I don't think this should be taken lightly. I heard that WHO will be upgrading it to level 6 within the next 24 hours...that is some pretty serious stuff.

I don't know jg...maybe I'm a cynic, but I have to wonder if we'd be seeing such intense coverage if our economy was stronger and our president hadn't made some gaffs at the recent overseas conferences. I'm not a skeptical person by nature, but I wonder if it's a red herring....is this supposed to distract us from something bigger like the Mother's Act?? or something even bigger?

I don't understand the reasoning on why Homeland Security is so involved...I tend to think there is more to this than the government is telling us...but I am a cynic when it comes to our government protecting the people too.
I personally think we should err on the side of safety if there is any chance of a person dying over this. I am praying the Gov of Texas closes all schools until this can be better identified.
Maybe Obama is trying to take some of the ecomonic heat off him....but I don't think he is getting any favorable press off this either. But then again, I don't like him either! If he wanted some favorable press, he would be address the border issues now...but people that don't live so close to the border don't have a clue what a problem it is for us.

I'm wondering whether there are massive celebrations going on at the pharmaceutical companies that will be getting the money to make vaccines and anti-virals for the govt. stockpile.

We have our first case of swine flu in Holland: a little boy who just returned from a family vacation to Mexico.
Sad and scary.

I am in and out of people's houses with my job all day Mon. through Fri. and truly, am not concerned. If it were a virus that was going to spread rampantly throughout the population from person to person, the numbers would be increasing by the hundreds or thousands daily rather than by 20 or 30. Nevertheless, I think it's practical for all of us to be cautious -- stay home when we don't feel well, wash our hands, cover our mouths when we cough or sneeze, etc., etc. I feel we'll all weather this quite well.

The flu shot doesn't take care of this one. What are we not being told by the media? Is this some cover-up for other major major issues like bank foreclosures, bankrupt major corporations, economic crisis, environmental issues like global warming, or some other major issues? Is it a form of biological warfare?

Personally, I am sterilizing my water and keeping my house immaculate. When I was a kid, our water supply was contaminated with some bacteria. We moved to another area and we were fine. Our neighbors all got sick after we left. The water supply finally was corrected, but nobody believed us until they were sick.

Back
Top Bottom