Swine flu.....possible pandemic - Officially named H1N1 Flu (Apr 29,09)

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hype Hype Hype

Media survives on hype: hype = attention, even if it's
the smallest thing ... they will blow it all out of proportion
if necessary. So far it is 1 death in USA, but that is a
result of a Mexican boy that was transported here to be
treated ... per se. As my neighbor implied it best, "Media
overreacting, giving them something to talk about and
something new to do..."

:?

While the issue is very real - but I have to agree with my
neighbor that it is being very exaggerated; and like Skilly
says it best - more people die from the regular FLU!
Where's the media hype on that?

:huh:

It is forcing them to come up with a NEW flu vaccine that all the Pharma companies are waiting to jump on.

I worked in the Health Office today at my daughters school. I really didn't take any unusual precautions than I normally do. A few came in with upset stomachs, but they are taking the SATs on Saturday, so I am sure some of the problems are stress related.

Perhaps we need some research into the immune system of those that have contracted this bug. We might learn lessons that are useful in the future.

See, this is the weird thing....govt willing to blow big money on the flu and swine flu, but spends a pittance on things like epilepsy which people will have to live with for the rest of their lives......and has a bigger economic impact because of the numbers unable to work due to the condition. Does this seem illogical to anyone else??

No...but name anything that the government did that made sense!:soap:

There are certainly a lot of rumors that the government has a lot more involvement in this swine flu than they would ever let the public know.

I would put a dime that it wasn't the govt, but pharma playing around in their labs.
That sounds more likely. Perhaps govt plays a role by handing out research $$ without any follow up. With what I have been reading about Doctor's on Hit Lists, and Students being photographed by Pharma employees... makes me wonder.

This industry is out of control.... just open up a magazine and look at who is paying for them. Watch mainstream TV and see how many pharma ads in an evening. Targeting YOU, to encourage you to sell your doctor on the latest drug that you must have.

Next it will be the most recent Swine Flu Vaccine.

I'm not freaking out like some of my friends on other boards have but the whole flu vs swine flu, (H1N1-flu) difference is that this flu is a 3-way mutation between pigs, birds and humans and the people who are getting sick/dying from it are in their 20-40's and are healthy people, not like the regular flu which usually kills the elderly and small children with weak immune systems.

I also think that the media has hyped it up way too much but at least I am not seeing links for articles on yahoo everytime I go and check my email.

I think the best thing about this scare, (if there can be such a thing as something good from sickness/deaths,) is that it seems that every couple of years something like this comes around and reminds me that I need to stock up on my food supply and emergency kits. Never a bad thing to have cuz what if we were all stuck in our houses like those in other countries and didn't have any food when it came time to go to the store and get food for our families.
Just something to think about. :ponder:

the very strange part of this is the mix with human, bird and swine is not something that can happen on its own. Many experts have stated that mix would have to be created in a lab.....really something to think about.
I think the national press is subpressing the extent of this. Here in Texas, we have over 200,000 kids out of schools due to closings...and everyday they are adding more.
I am trying to keep things clean and sanitized. I went to Walmart and was shocked at the number of sick people in the store...it made my decision to not attend church on Sunday and just watch the sermon online.

A cytokine storm is the systemic expression of a healthy and vigorous immune system resulting in the release of more than 150 inflammatory mediators (cytokines, oxygen free radicals, and coagulation factors). Both pro-inflammatory cytokines (such as Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha, InterLeukin-1, and InterLeukin-6) and anti-inflammatory cytokines (such as interleukin 10, and interleukin 1 receptor antagonist) are elevated in the serum, and the fierce and often lethal interplay of these cytokines is referred to as a "Cytokine Storm". The primary contributors to the cytokine storm are TNF-a (Tumor Necrosis Factor-alpha) and IL-6 (Interleukin-6). ...

http://www.cytokinestorm.com/

Looks like Oil of Oregano might be helpful:
We examined the anti-inflammatory effects of the combination of thyme and oregano essential oil dietary administered at three concentrations (0.4% thyme and 0.2% oregano oils; 0.2% thyme and 0.1% oregano oils; 0.1% thyme and 0.05% oregano oils) on mice with TNBS-induced colitis. Treatment of colitic animals with the essential oils decreased the mRNA levels of pro-inflammatory cytokines IL-1, IL-6, GM-CSF, and TNF, especially after application of the medium dose. The medium dose of the essential oils significantly lowered the amount of IL-1 and IL-6 proteins too. Moreover, administration of the medium dose decreased the mortality rate, accelerated the body weight gain recovery, and reduced the macroscopic damage of the colonic tissue. Our results indicate that combined treatment with appropriate concentrations of thyme and oregano essential oils can reduce the production of proinflammatory cytokines, and thereby attenuate TNBS-induced colitis in mice.

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2233768

I also found this:
(PRWEB) May 10, 2006 -- A Biology teacher from Australia, named Stephen Jones, has done extensive research into the bird flu and compiled a list of natural foods that are effective against the Bird Flu virus and listed others that are detrimental.

The list may come as a surprise to many people since foods such as spirulina and echinacea are listed as detrimental. This strange occurrence is largely due to the fact that the virus is immune to 2 cytokines that the body produces (TNF-a and IL-6). Cytokines are compounds produced by the body’s immune system that attack and remove foreign bodies. The problem is that when a foreign body is immune to certain cytokines, the body sees that its immune response is not working and tries even harder, which can lead to what is called a cytokine storm, where the body becomes flooded with these compounds and they eventually destroy the body itself. Foods such as Echinacea actually stimulate the production of these specific cytokines; hence consuming it is not a good idea if one suspects they may have the virus.

During the 1918 Spanish Flu (similar to Bird Flu) many healthy young people died from cytokine storms due to their immune systems overreacting (see http://www.bird-flu-influenza.com/what-are-the-symptoms-bird-flu.htm ). Consuming foods which suppress the production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6 and enhance the production of the ones that actually are effective against the virus will aid the patient greatly.

Other foods that create mucous in the respiratory tract, such as bananas, are also listed as detrimental due to the fact that the predominant breeding ground of the virus is the respiratory tract and another way in which a patient may suffer is due to the bodies over production of mucous in this area.

The table has been reprinted below from the website with kind permission from the Author:

Folk Medicines and Herbs to use and avoid with Bird Flu
Below is a list of foods that are said to contain substances that are natural antivirals, immune boosters or they decrease cytokines TNF-a and IL-6.

Alternative medications that are most likely to help us during a severe pandemic:

Garlic (allicin) - Very effective antiviral. Best if fresh (raw) and crushed. Must be consumed within 1 hour of crushing. Dosage is initially 2 to 3 cloves per day but later reduce until no body odour occurs. No toxic effects noted. (Pubmed PMID 9049657)

Vitamin C - Boosts the immune system and is an antiviral by blocking the enzyme neuraminadase. Viruses need neuraminadase to reproduce. There are anecdotal stories of people taking large amounts of Vitamin C (children ½) surviving the Spanish Flu. Research shows that it may reduce the production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. A study on 470 people involved giving the test group 1000 mg hourly for 6 hours and then 1000 mg 3 times daily after reporting flu symptoms. Symptoms decreased by 85%. (Pubmed PMID 10543583, 634178, 16169205, 12876306)

Green Tea (possible Tamiflu/Relenza alternative)- Very effective antiviral. Also decreases the production of the cytokine (catechins) TNF-a. Inhibits neuraminidase. May have antiviral activity that is equal to other antivirals such as Tamiflu ( Pubmed PMID 16137775 )

St Johns Wort (Hypericum) - Very effective antiviral. Also decreases the production of the cytokine IL-6. Hypericum is an extract from St John’s Wort. There have been some very successful field trials in commercial flocks infected with H5N1 in Vietnam. (Pubmed PMID 7857513, 11518071, 11362353, 7857513, 11518071)

Vitamin E - Immune booster. Also decreases the production of the cytokine TNF-a. (Pubmed PMID 155882360, 10929076) Experiments involved using mice. Very suitable for immune compromised people, especially the elderly. Effects enhanced when taken with Vitamin C.

Apple Juice - Antiviral. Fresh apple juice including the pulp and skin has greater antiviral activity than heated commercial apple juice. More research is needed. Effectiveness on H5N1 is unknown (Pubmed PMID 32832, 12452634)

Resveratrol - Antiviral. In addition to inhibiting neuraminidase, Resveratrol also sends a message to cells to stop manufacturing viruses. This is a proven antiviral found naturally in red wine, peanuts, mulberries, Japanese Knotwood root (richest source), raisins and red grapes.
Resveratrol supplements are relatively inexpensive, are more stable than wine and is available in liquid form for absorption in the mouth. No toxic effects noted. (Pubmed PMID 1583880, 12817628, 15985724)

Scuttellaria (Skullcap)- Antiviral. A herb used as a tea. It has no side effects and is also a mild tranquilliser. Research suggests neuraminidase, which is a substance needed by the H5N1 Bird Flu virus to reproduce, may be inhibited.

Cranberry Juice - Early research shows that it may be an antiviral, making viruses less able to invade or multiply. Effectiveness on H5N1 is unknown (Pubmed PMID15781126)

Cat’s Claw (Uncaria tomentosa)- Decreases the production of the cytokine TNF-a. Also boosts immune system. The number of white blood cells was significantly increased during treatment. No toxicity was noted.
(http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?CMD=search&DB=pubmed) Active constituents can be found in the leaves, bark, vine, and roots. Water extraction from bark used.
Children and pregnant women are to avoid. Has a potentially damaging effect on the DNA of proliferating cells (cancers, foetuses, growing children)

Curcumin (Tumeric Spice) - Decreases the production of the cytokine TNF-a. This is the yellow compound in turmeric spice. Research shows that this may be very good for preventing a cytokine storm although this is not proven (www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/cur_0087), (enzy.com/abstracts/display1961)
Must be taken with food or gastritis or peptic ulcers may occur. Pregnant women and feeding mothers should avoid this. The medicinal properties of curcurnin cannot be utilised when used alone due to rapid metabolism in the liver and intestinal wall. When combined with Piperine found in black pepper the absorption is increased with no adverse effects.(http://www.pdrhealth.com/drug_info/pip_0322)
Obtainable from health stores in tablets, liquid, capsules already combined with piperine. Dosage is 500mg to 4000mg daily.

Astragalus root (Astragali Radix) - Boosts immune system (Pubmed PMID15588652)

Tea tree Steam Inhalation - Reduces the cytokine TNF-a. Add 2 drops of tea tree oil in a bowl of steaming water. Cover head with a towel and inhale for 5 to 10 minutes. Relieves congestion and fights infection. Its effectiveness is unknown. (Pubmed PMID 11131302)

The following substances may be best to avoid during a H5N1 pandemic

Elderberry juice (Sambucal) - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. This substance is very effective against the common flu but may not be desirable for the H5N1 Bird Flu virus. Increases in these cytokines may trigger a lethal cytokine storm. (Isr Med Journal2002 Nov;4:944-6)

Micro Algae (Chlorella and Spirulina) - AVOID - Increases production of cytokine TNF-a (Pubmed PMID 11731916)

Honey - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6 (Pubmed PMID12824009)

Chocolate - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6 (Pubmed PMID 12885154, PMID 10917928)

Echinacea - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6. Although it is often used for normal flu, research shows that it may increase the chance of cytokine storms for H5N1 (Pubmed PMID 15556647, 9568541)

Kimchi - AVOID - Increases production of cytokines TNF-a and IL-6 (Pubmed PMID15630182)

Dairy products & Bananas - AVOID - These foods increase mucous production.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/05/prweb383231.htm

Hi Everyone,

It is named the H1N1 flu. We have 1 case in the town in which we live and another in a city close by. I go to meetings and we have been told to stay home if we are sick. My husband worked in a Developmental Center for 10 years. All of that time, they cleaned the doorknobs and other things that can get contaminated by constant use. Another case in our county is in the prison. They are worried about it spreading fast in a contained area.

California is second to New York in having cases. The CDC does not have enough staff on hand. They are having our state, using it's own testing. That is slower and keeps the schools closed longer. After a school has been contaminated, they thourougly disinfect the school. I do not understand why they cannot open up the school disinfects it and keep the sick children home. I think that is overkill.

I do not worry about it. I did some research and it says that people with epilepsy get a worse case. That was back in 1985, when the last outbreak happened with the H1N1 flu. They had a different medicine back then. The medicines they have today are better.No one should be scared. Just live your life.

:soap:

Like any other contagious disease, this new H1N1 flu needs to be dealt with and those at greater risk like JGB need to be protected. However, the general public/media/government is blowing this out of proportion.

Where there is suspected exposure, sure put in reasonable safeguards, but this is not some sort of disease that will kill in 24 hours. Most cases are recovering at home.

Two cases of overkill that struck me were the college that would not hand out diplomas (wash your hands before and after, duh) and the schools that are cancelling proms. With the prom cancelled, most of the kids are still going to get together some place else. No benefit there. Plus, I would bet $1000 that more kids die each year driving to and from prom than will ever die from the flu.

Just use the common sense suggestions listed in this post and let your reps know that there are much greater risks to the public than this flu.

:soap:

In 2006, the World Health Organization (WHO) issued an international call for all nations to do whatever it takes to increase public appetite and demand for annual influenza shots as the main strategy to prepare for an influenza pandemic. In April 2007, the WHO used money donated by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) to fund the creation of influenza vaccine manufacturing plants in Mexico and other countries one week after the FDA gave Sanofi Pasteur a license to produce an experimental bird flu (H5N1) vaccine. Sanofi Pasteur is just one of many drug companies the U.S. government has given millions of dollars to for the creation of bird flu vaccines.

On February 19, 2009, the FDA's Vaccines & Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (VRBPAC) discussed whether to give approval for the testing of experimental bird flu vaccine on American infants. VRBPAC consumer member, also NVIC's Director of Patient Safety Vicky Debold,PhD, warned that testing of an experimental pandemic bird flu vaccine on infants in the absence of a real epidemic and without assurances that unapproved novel oil based (squalene) adjuvants (AS03, MF59) are safe, could pose unacceptable risks in terms of inducing severe immune dysfunction.

On February 27, 2009 it was confirmed that an influenza vaccine maker, Baxter International, had released a mixture of seasonal influenza viruses mixed with unlabeled live bird flu viruses to facilities in Czechoslovakia, Germany, and Slovenia. Baxter, which is waiting for a license to manufacturer bird flu vaccine, explained it was an "accident" and that no harm was done.

On April 23, 2009, the world heard the first news reports about a mysterious pig (H1N1) and bird (H5N1)and human hybrid influenza virus that was making people sick near a Mexican pig farm. By April 30, the WHO had issued a Phase 5 "Alert" warning that the world was facing an imminent pandemic influenza epidemic on the strength of several hundred cases of "swine" flu and less than 10 confirmed deaths.

The pandemic flu panic that has an especially strong grip on people living in Mexico and the U.S., thanks to the governments of both countries declaring a "public health emergency," has been a good thing for pharmaceutical companies in the pandemic flu business.
Wall Street revealed that the pandemic scare sent stock prices soaring for drug companies making anti-viral drugs, rapid flu diagnosis tests and influenza vaccines. Sanofi Pasteur, GlaxoSmithKline, Novavax, Baxter, Johnson & Johnson, Roche, BioCryst, and Vical are among the drug companies likely to benefit from the world pandemic panic.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2009/05/05/Swine-Flu-Update.aspx

Has anyone here taken the time to read the links Dogtor J has included in his paper concerning this swine flu issue? His links include a lot of detailed information on virus growth, mutation and spreading. For anyone not agreeing with his stance on pork, do not write this paper off out-of-hand; yes, he does believe in following the food laws of the Bible, but this is not a paper against the pig industry. It is a paper about the behavior of viruses. He has a link in the paper to a website www.bacteriality.com that talks about the behavior of bacteria as well. For anyone concerned about health issues, it is a good read.
And for those who haven't read Dogtor J on viruses and how they affect our overall health, some of his other articles on www.dogtorj.com are good reading as well. Dogtor J is not just about the GARD.

Robin,
Have you checked out www.bacteriality.com? Not only do we have to worry about assaulting our bodies with viruses, the bacterias are just as bad. There is an article over there about probiotics that made me think twice about eating yogurt with probiotics added. Even if you make your own yogurt with a "free of everything else" starter like I've been doing, putting extra bacteria into your body just doesn't sound like a good idea.
Forgive me if I'm guilty of hijacking here. Robin, like you, I've found my health passion.

Hi Molly,

You are saying that bacterial infections are the same as viruses. Bacterial infections are stopped by anti-biotics. Anti-biotics do not work on viruses. H1N1 is a virus. Only vaccines can work on viruses. Look up the difference between the 2.

I am eating fat free yogurt. I have always loved yogurt. Robin also suggested Lysine 2000 mg/day and Olive Leaf extract for viruses. Diet makes sense to me. Diet and cleaniless works on viruses. What scientists think will happen is that it will be dormant for the summer. Then it will come back in the winter. Whether that is true or not remains to be seen.

I agree with Buckeye. When there is one case in town, they completely disinfect the school and then close it for weeks. Once they disinfect it, they can keep the sick children at home and re-open the schools. Here the children have been getting together with the parents and going to the parks. It is overkill. Ruth

Ruth,
I agree completely that there is a difference between viruses and bacteria and the way they are counteracted. I encourage you to go to www.bacteriality.com and read the article there on probiotics. Read for yourself and decide for yourself. That is what each of us here should do, no matter what the topic is.
And yes, I think it was media overkill too. By the way, I read your poem on Our Page about CNN and the flu; loved it!

They just released information that a 30 year old female in Texas died

Hi jgbmartin,

I live in California. We have the most cases, second only to New York. Some people have died here. Did you know that a lot of people die from the regular flu?

Here, in a prison in CA, one person got H1N1, and they feel that they cannot control it.

Ruth,
The full address to the article I was talking about is http://bacteriality.com/2008/06/11/probiotics

When you go to bacteriality.com, look over on the far right hand side of the page under the heading "Featured Articles." This article and another I particularly like about L-form bacteria, are listed there with many others. There is also an article about the Marshall Protocol which details how many people have many health issues(diabetes and cancer as well as others)due to having a constant low level bacterial infection. The Protocol is the way that Marshall thinks can rid people of these constant low level infections.
I will admit that I got hooked on this site. It makes a lot of sense. At least it does to me.
Again, my apologies if I've hijacked this thread.

Hi Molly,

I read part of it, but we are getting off of the subject. Our subject is about the H1N1 virus.Viruses are separate from bacteria. Why don't you make a topic about bacteria? It is separate from the flu.

Hi jgbmartin, I am sorry that I made light on the death in Texas. Any death of this flu is bad. It adds up the number.

Back
Top Bottom