H1n1

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

There are a number of reasons why I feel that flu shots should be avoided, and almost all of them are related to the ingredients mentioned in this video.

But here's the most glaring reason: One in a million people who get the flu shot develops a neurological disease called Guillain-Barré Syndrome.

Guillain-Barré syndrome tends to develop without notice, and is marked by extreme muscle weakness and other symptoms related to nerve dysfunction. I once provided ongoing chiropractic treatments to a professional athlete who had to retire early because he developed Guillain-Barré Syndrome, so I know firsthand how debilitating this condition can be.

And let's not miss an obvious point: if one in a million people who get the flu shot can develop a devastating neurological condition, how many others who get the flu shot suffer from a number of uncomfortable symptoms that are never properly or accurately diagnosed? It's just not realistic to think that the ingredients in a flu shot can cause severe neurological damage in a small percentage of the population while leaving everyone else completely uninjured.

The truth is, even if the odds were one in 300 million, I would still say no to getting a flu shot - why take any risk of creating serious damage to my body?

The best defense against the flu and the common cold is to live healthfully every day. And if we do develop the flu or a cold, if we give our bodies time to rest and heal, we can cleanse ourselves of our weakest cells. For more information on this topic, please feel free to view the following articles:
(links on the website below)

If you have any family members or friends who continue to believe in and get flu shots, please share this article with them.

Addendum - October 2009

I can't tell you much about the actual H1N1 virus, nor can I tell you a whole lot about the H1N1 vaccine that governments around the world are promoting.

When it comes to fear mongering of any magnitude, I feel like I've been to the circus and back several times, and I no longer wish to waste my time following the hype.

My approach to avoiding the H1N1 flu is no different than my approach to avoiding illness in general.

I wash my hands with regular soap and water whenever I use a public restroom and every time I return home.

I try to get enough sleep so that I'm not tired during the day.

I try to avoid highly processed foods, especially those that are rich in sugar and deep-fried components.

I eat mainly nutrient-dense vegetables, fruits, legumes, and whole grains.

I eat cultured foods like kim chi for natural probiotics. I take probiotics, sometimes a stand-alone, and every day in our green food powder.

I take a handful of other whole food supplements that ensure optimal ongoing nourishment of all of my organ systems.

I play tennis or some other sport that makes me sweat and have fun a few times a week.

I have never received a flu shot and don't plan on getting one. Ever.

And that's all I have to say about the H1N1 flu and vaccine. Hope these thoughts are helpful in some way.

http://drbenkim.com/flu-shot-ingredients-dangers.htm

Ruth - I don't know how your media is portraying this flu, but I live in SoCA and there is not mention of a pandemic in CA. Surely people are getting sick. I see that at Rebecca's school since I work in the health office. No more so than any other year.

I don't know about you, but many years I have had the flu and it has put me in bed for some time. Even as a child I remember the whole family having it at the same time. Not fun, but a fact of life. To think that we can eliminate this illness is simply not true.

I highly recommend for anyone to look at the doctors suggestion above to find ways to PREVENT the flu and build immunity to the virus.

Hi Robin, it is in the area where I live that I am talking about.

I just wanted everyone to know that I got the sesonal flu shot along with my husband and son. I am sick so i will make it short. My husband got the seasonal flu and now I have it. I am not going to get the H1Ni vaccine, because I will probably get the H1N1 flu from the vaccine.

Not getting the H1N1 immunization but think I have the flu right now. I've been sick since Thurs. and my Dr. did the test which I will get results from on Monday. I've been in bed all weekend with about a 100.2 temp, sore throat, hacky cough, pressure behind my ears -- you name it. Miserable!
She also gave me Tamiflu to take but I am a bad patient and haven't taken it. I just think its better for one's own immune system to fight that stuff off yourself

Hi Kansas Educator,

It sounds like you have it. If you do not take the tamiflu, you will get a lot worse. It is up to you, though. I hope you get better. Take care (((HUGS)))

I no longer have the flu, it must have been the seasonal flu. I am still sick to my stomach, though.

Just to add...

As a new mom, I've decided against the flu vaccine, of either kind, for Abby. It's really simple...
a) Abby has had a fantastic immune system. 2 weeks ago, everyone in the house had a cold. I was the last to catch it and the first to get over it. My cold lasted about 4 days and consisted of stuffy nose and sinuses. Everyone else had watery eyes, cough, and stuffy nose. Everyone else in the house took OTC meds at first sign of the cold. Me, I toughed it out and drank plenty of water and went to bed earlier. Abby never even came down with a sniffle. No grouchiness or fussiness either.

There's a couple things that we do...we dont use the antibacterial stuff to clean house. Why? Because I believe that that actually weakens immune systems.
We've taken Abby to public places since she was one week old. So it's not like she's being isolate either.
Also, and perhaps most importantly, I'm breastfeeding. Now, I have a strong immune system. During pregnancy, my hubby, MIL, and BIL had the flu...while my 2 SIL had strep A and B. I didnt catch anything. And that's with me acting as a nurse and making sure that everyone was as comfy as possible. So Abby's getting the benefits of my strong immune system too.

Let's face it, there will always be flu and colds. There are no cures for either. By trying to prevent getting things like flus and colds we set up our immune systems for battles against tougher, more drug resistant bugs.

One of my sons who is a freshman in college said he was sick a few days and tired but he said it wasn't that bad after the first 2 days. Nevertheless he didn't get the vaccine and he said most of the kids in the dornm are not getting it. My other son refuses to get it, he says he never gets sick (believe me he has been sick before) but he says he is just going to eat more fruit. I am not going to force my kids to get these vaccines especially since there is so much controversy about the safety of the swine flu vaccine. I myself, got the seasonal flu vaccine. The last time I got the flu 2 years ago, I got real sick and developed an ear infection and lost some hearing. But it's not as bad as being diagnosed with the Guillain-Barré Syndrome.
I saw a story on the news the other night about a perfectly healthy 20 something year old cheerleader that developed the gullian Barre Syndrome disease after receiving the swine flu vaccine and the Drs said there was nothing they could do for her.

Robin your advice above in this thread is excellent for staying as healthy as possible.

Last edited:
I know

I am NOT getting that shot. I don't take the regular one anyway, and I don't get the regular flue, so I don't see the point. I substitute teach EVERY DAY, so I have PLENTY of exposure, but I do take care of myself.

NO H1N1 shot for me!!!

Robin your advice above in this thread is excellent for staying as healthy as possible.

I am glad it was helpful Eve. I have to remind myself of some of the suggestions, and implement some of the others. Interesting that many of these suggestions are recommended for neurological health too.

Many of us do not even consider them as a natural daily plan. We wait until there is a health scare.

The mind is a funny thing.

Everyone has their own beliefs on these shots (and many other shots). I don't get them because in my life I never have anything normal. What ever flu they give a shot for will be the one I don't get.
As for my kids (6&7) they a few years ago had the flu and we treat the disease and ignore the shots. I do have one firm ground rule is that no shot they get contains a live virus. h1n1 for the nose contained a live virus.
My wife was exposed at work and got H1N1 this past weekend. Our GP got her a dose of Tamiflu and it helped reduce the symptoms. She still feels bad but by Tamiflu attacking the virus her suffering was reduced. This has to be taken within 48 hours of the first symptoms. She also got me a script for Tamiflu to reduce my risk and stop most of the symptoms. I felt a little bad but but pretty much normal.
We all take risks where other do not. We all over protect when others do not.........the human condition isn't it grand.

Hi, I can hardly read your comments. I still have the flu. I do not have to think about whether taking the shot or not. It is not availible where I live.

I am taking Pedialyte (elctrolyes) to prevent diarrhea and vomiting. I only take it when I need it. Too much is not good for you. When I take it, I only take 1/4 cup for a day. I do not have a cough. I still might only have the seasonal flu. I am sick to my stomach and I am having trouble seeing. I am a good typist. I hope I am making sense here.

It was recommended by someone in CWE that I take some green tea. I am going to try that.. I will keep you informed about my condition if I can. I am getting worse.

I have diabetes, so I have to eat.I have to go now.

I thought we were discussing the H1N1 virus. It sounds to me like you are telling Kansas Educator what to do. What if he dies listening to scare tatics by everone?

The H1N1 flu attacks the immune system. Kansas Educator's immune system cannot fight it off.

I am not going to tell Kansas Educator what to do. I do not want any of my advice to take it or not to take it. If I was as sick as Kansas Educator, I would take it if it was avaible here. People are dying here because the vaccine is not available.

Each person must make their own decision.

Ruth, I think we are just balancing the medias scare tactics for reasons to get the shot. They are pushing it the same way, only this time the Pharma companies are not responsible if there is a breakdown in the process.

No one is making anyone do anything. We share our thoughts, our opinions. People can choose not to read what they are bothered by. Very easy to scroll away from an offending post.

I am sorry you have the flu. I hope you feel better soon. I also hope you have seen the suggestions by a medical doctor on ways to improve your immune system... daily.

I've already seen this videos, I've read about the new possible deadly adjuvants that they use in the new vaccines. That's what would scare anybody.
However, it is a fact that if you get the avian flu you will die 90%. It is a fact that the spanish flu killed 50 million.
I'm not afraid of the regular flu, I don't consider vaccinating against it, last december all 4 of us had it, we were very ill for a week, but we went past it and my daughter had no seizure with that infection.
If this is true, and this is as they say a new strain, a new combination, just because it has part avian, part swine and part human, it does transmit from human to human already, if it gets a new mutation which makes it more virulent, than it can become a new world pandemic. That is what scares me. Did I get it wrong?
So far there are not more death than from seasonal flu. Of course it can be that they use fear and it might be that they want to "clean" a bit the world popolation. But when a child is involved, it's more difficult to decide what you believe most.

One more thought. If it is true that they manufacture all this viruses in the lab, they make than vaccines to "protect" us, they can go on for ever. Next year we will be scared of something else. What do we do? Do we vaccinate for everything? Do we take all their drugs or we die? Do we decide to say NO? It just doesn't fit to my mind that there can be people that believe they can wipe out the world population while they are beyond everybody. Yet, we only have to take a look at our history. Where are we going?

So sorry you are sick. I will pray for you. I did have the flu shot. I had no problems. I took a tylenol about 30 minutes before the shot and massaged my arm off and on all day. Thank goodness I could not even tell I had had it. The regular flu shot did not scare me but, the swine flu does make me a little weary. I just have to wonder if there has been enough research on it. It just has not been very long compared to other years of research. I think it is something you have to talk to your doctor about then weigh your pros and cons.
I do hope you are ont he up side of your illness. Stay in and stay warm. Thinking of you. Jackie

Jackie, thank you very much. Apparently, I just had the seasonal flu. Today it is over. It is Kansas Educator who has the H1N1 flu.

Well, since many of you seem concerned about me (which I truly appreciate), I need to give you the rest of the story. Dr.'s office called and I do NOT have H1N1. Instead I have a roaring ear infection which came about from fighting allergies all fall. So I'm glad I didn't take the tamiflu -- it wouldn't have helped and it would have given me its own set of side effects. Now, however, I will have to take an antibiotic to clear this out but I am ready to do that since I just can't hear out of my ears and can't stand the pressure in them. So I'll take my antibiotics and load up on probiotics and probably recover pretty quickly.
And Skilly, I think research backs up the approach you are taking with your baby. Researchers are finding that the "over the top" steps we take to protect our kids from any germs don't allow their immune system to fully develop. My granddaughter is 4 and has only been to the Dr. one time for an illness (although she has gone to well-baby checks which her mother believes in). I grew up on a farm playing in the dirt and rarely have infections that require antibiotics. And, I think I've only had the flu one time in my life.
But the truth is, everyone has to decide for themselves whether to be immunized or to treat it.

Back
Top Bottom