H1n1

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

In the news today, out of 15,700 people in winnipeg who go the vaccine, 2 people have shown immediate reactions to it that required hospitalizations.

But I just realized that this number is alot less alarming the the number of deaths and damages caused by young girls getting the HPV Gardasil Vacciine

At my work we often have to go to a local urgent care clinic on business, so we were also offered the vaccine along with the healthcare workers. We often have contact with groups at high risk of having the flu, plus our office is located in the same building as a women's shelter (illnesses tear through that shelter like crazy), so I thought I'd get the vaccine as a preventative measure.

Now we're trying to decide if my partner should get the vaccine, but he has so many chemical sensitivities, and he's on so many meds already that we're both hesitant for him to get it.

I really don't know what the smartest thing to do is in this case. There are so many contradictory reports that it makes my head hurt just thinking about it. The worst thing is the media are perpetuating a climate of fear about both H1N1 and the vaccine, which is making it hard to differentiate between fact and fiction.

Ah well, I don't mind being a guinea pig... yet.

If he has any severe allergies he should ask his family doctor before he decides to take it. So far an allergy to eggs and to thermisal (mercury thing I cant spell or say) They wont give it to you.

Also if he has any rashes or hives from putting something on his skin (suntan lotion, cologne etc) he should ask what that will do inside his body. anything as silly as wool becasue the ingrediants are not fully known

Severe allergies - no. Chemical sensitivities that worsen his seizures, or whatever they are (I can't wait until we see the neuro in Dec) - yes. We keep being surprised by what chemicals will set him off, especially since the gabapentin he was on over two months ago seems to have lowered his seizure threshold.

I also don't trust his doc's opinion. He absolutely refused to believe us when we explained that the gabapentin was having disastrous effects on my partner's health.

When he has a neuro, we'll try to find him a new GP.

I have

a question.

Why don't you start looking for a new GP now??? If this one is really that bad, I would just start looking now.....honestly....:ponder::pop:

a question.

Why don't you start looking for a new GP now??? If this one is really that bad, I would just start looking now.....honestly....:ponder::pop:

Aside from the fact that only a handful of doctors here are taking new patients, and are cherry-picking who they want as a patient (i.e, the easy ones), every time he changes docs he finds himself having to justify why he's taking the meds he's taking, despite a psychiatrist's recommendation. GPs here seem to think they're all-knowing, and often he has to start the med trial and error all over again, even though he knows by now what works for him and what doesn't. If he has a neurologist who is dictating what meds he needs, I'm hoping we can switch doctors with a lot less hassle.

I know an epilepsy diagnosis has a stigma attached to it, but his bipolar II diagnosis has been devastating. Where we live the automatic assumption by many in the medical community is that bipolar = lying drug addict, so goodbye to clonazepam, goodbye to pain meds for his back injury, hello tricyclic antidepressants which make him sick. We've been through it too many times, and right now we need a break. His basic med needs are being met, we have a neuro appointment for December and back surgery next year. Until we have all our health ducks in a row, we're not going anywhere.

Ahhhhhh, I

get it now. I don't blame you in the least little bit then. I do understand now. I wish you the best of luck. It sucks to be in a situation like that. I'm sorry. I'll be thinking of ya.

M
:rock:

Hi everyone,
Some have to get because of the mandatory mandate but said they would have anyway...others said nope....but ill get it cause they have no choice....but are not having a single family member get it.

Hi RCampbell, welcome to CWE. It was made by Bernard out of love for his wife Stacy.

I am glad you are joining in the conversation. We need a nurse here. Join in more of our conversations.

I have a question to ask: just how mandatory is this mandate? Do we have to get it, even if we do not want to? My doctor says I should get it. She is not forcing anyone. However, I have 2 caregivers, my husband and my son. They have been told that they are in the mandatory category. That is so they do not give it to me. I feel it is up to them. My son has said he will to protect me. I am worried about him.I love him and do not want to lose him.

We have been told that we will probably be getting the vacinne next week. My doctor does not know. She will be giving us the vacinne if we decide to get it. She is not forcing any of us to get it, if we do not want to.

Does the H1N1 swine flu vaccine contain thimerosal?

The 2009 H1N1 swine flu vaccine comes in three basic types: the FluMist nasal spray, single-syringe shots, and multi-shot vials.
Only the multi-shot vials contain thimerosal, a preservative that prevents bacterial contamination of the vial. Before thimerosal was added to vaccines, there were occasional vaccine injuries due to contamination.
Extensive study shows that there are no more adverse events in children or adults who receive thimerosal-containing vaccines than in those who do not.
But thimerosal contains a form of mercury. It's ethyl mercury, which is likely not as toxic as some other forms. Even so, nobody argues that mercury is good for your body. People who want to avoid thimerosal-containing flu vaccines must get the FluMist vaccine or the single-syringe shots.
Most people should have this choice. But single-syringe vaccines may not be available for every person in every location during every week of the vaccination campaign.

[...]

Do we really know what drugmakers are putting in the swine flu vaccine?

Vaccine labels are not easy to read. But they are made public by the FDA and other sources. If you want to know exactly what's in each kind of 2009 H1N1 swine flu vaccine, read the label. You can find all the labels here: http://www.vaccinesafety.edu/package_inserts.htm.

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/fe...ne-safe?page=2

My doctor plans on giving me the single-syringe shot. I am getting it at the doctor's office. The vaccinations are not available to the doctors yet. At the large city 2 hours away, they got 11,000 only who can receive the shot or mist form. That will go quickly.

Thank you for this added information. I will go and look up your link. I looked it up and found interesting facts:
the safety and effectivenss has not been established in people under 18 years of age, in pregnant women and nursing mothers.

Last edited:
Bah

My daughter and her boyfriend live at the house here, and he has just been diagnosed with H1N1. YIPPEE.

Now should the rest of us in the house get shots? I don't want to, but if he's got it, I may have to......and with a surgery coming up, that's not cool....

I'm not sure if this info will help your decision Meetz:

I was told by a doc that you have some small protection from the virus within the first day of getting the vaccine, but that full immunity takes 10-14 days.

I don't know what the US stats are, but here in Canada, fewer than 1 in 1000 will get critically ill from H1N1, but 2/3 of critically ill patients are women. Most who get critically ill are younger than you usually see with the flu, but they do have a concurrent illness -- asthma, hypertension, overweight or they smoke.

Rae-you may worry about the Gardisil cervical cancer jab, but here in the UK, the NHS have gone for the Cervarix one that has much more frequent reactions, and people with epilepsy (i.e my daughter and her friend) cannot have it as it can cause seizures EVEN in people without E, so the effects of giving it to someone with epilepsy would be disastrous! At the moment, I'm trying to get the Gardisil one privately, but NICE (the UK equivalent of the FDA) has refused to authorise it for use in the UK! It wouldn't be such a worry, but as I've had a family member die from cervical cancer...

Hi Meetz, I would wear respirator masks in the house, everyone. You can buy them at WalMart.

What we've learned about the H1N1 vaccine is that the adjutant would be dangerous for pregnant women and not necessarily so for other children. The children up to 18 yrs. of age have been deemed here to be an "at risk" group, for reasons which I can't quite fathom. However, I can understand that the young children & pregnant women would have immune systems which would be compromised if they didn't get the H1N1 vaccine. I don't know what effect the adjutant has on the pregnant women, but I gather from what I've heard that it can be dangerous to the baby in utero.

It's also been said that anyone with respiratory problems should get the vaccine since the H1N1 affects the respiratory system. Any people with chronic medical conditions who could be affected by the regular 'flu' virus (like Guillaine-Barre syndrome) are also encouraged to get the vaccine.

I'm no professional, so what I posted stands to be corrected. OCCB substantiated to some degree what I just posted.

My doctor plans on giving me the single-syringe shot. I am getting it at the doctor's office. The vaccinations are not available to the doctors yet. At the large city 2 hours away, they got 11,000 only who can receive the shot or mist form. That will go quickly.

Thank you for this added information. I will go and look up your link. I looked it up and found interesting facts:
the safety and effectivenss has not been established in people under 18 years of age, in pregnant women and nursing mothers.

Hi McGill, this is from post number 69 and 70.
I would not take a chance if I was pregnant. Unborn babies are so fragile. I think they are testing to see what will happen to pregnant women and people under 18 years of age.

My doctor is suppose to get her supply at the end of the month.

just stole this from a friend that stole it from her friend "I'm not really too concerned about Swine Flu. Here's my concern. Three years ago, Chinese calendar year of the cow... Mad Cow Disease. Two years ago, Chinese calendar year of the bird... Asian Flu. This year, Chinese calendar year of the pig... Swine Flu. Next year is the year of the cock... Anybody else worried??". How funny is that?!?!:bigmouth:

First of all I want to apologize. I put a quote at your post Robin, from your information that you had given us.

It is not funny at all Robin. That is interesting about the Chinese Calendar and the flues we get.

Meetz, if someone has it at your house, you should get the shot. Even though it takes time to work, you have a better chance with the shot than without it.

Back
Top Bottom