H1n1

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I wont be getting either flu vaccine. I am in the risk group as I have asthma but I have never had flu in my life and I also feel it is better to allow you rimmune system to build a natural defence to it. Also the H1N1 vaccine is too new and I don't want to have something that has been made so quickly we don't know the side-effects and what happens if the vaccine gives you swine flu how made could it be. I would refer run the risk of getting it. I also have refused the vaccine for my 3 children. RB has cronic asthma which is not controlled, LC has cronic excema and I was told she had to have the vaccine due to the boys being in the risk groups and RB has epileptic episodes and is under 5. I also don't give them the seasonal flu vaccine as I refuse to give them anything that could distroy there natural immune system. Yes they have had all there other vaccines as I know first handed how mad mumps, measles, rubella, whooping cough and meningitus can affect you and I choose vaccinate against these as I don't want to see my children do through what I went through with these illnesses. I also agree that pregnant women should not be given the vaccine as they don't know what it could do to the unborn child ooh and at my doctors surgery nursing mums are also offered the vaccine. Again I don't think they should have the vaccine either as it will contaminate the milk and we don't know what digesting the vaccine will do to our babies.

Ugh!!

I have just finished reading all 5 pages regarding the H1N1 and I am more lost than ever. Everything feels like propaganda for both side.

My son is 5 and his school will be giving the H1N1 Vaccine on November 23rd, and I still do nto know what I will be doing. He never gets the Flu shot. I have seen too many people get sick from it. But this.....

If like I do not get him the vaccine and God for bid something happen and I mean something bad happen and I could have prevented it, I would never rebound from that.

If I get him the vaccine and something bad happens from the vaccine then I am not sure how I would handle that.

F@*% ME, what to do what to do....

Well, in Pennsylvania, a perfectly healthy sweet kid died of swine flu. That helped me make my decision very fast. He did not get the swine flu shot.

Hi Bensalem, we all have the same problem. That is why we are discussing it. Either way we go, we might be wrong.

Most children in school are getting the H1N1 virus. If my children were school age, I would definetly make sure they got it. They are all alduts now.

Since your child has never had any flu shot, you have a double problem. You do not know what will happen with any type of flu shot, seasonal or H1N1.

1. will your school allow you to choose?
2. It is mandatory for school age children. If you live in California, you have no choice.
3. Is is also called the "young people's flu."
4. You have seen people get sick from the virus, did they have to be hospitalized.
5. Would your son be getting the nasal mist or single shot? The single shot is safer.

I am not telling you what to do. I do not want to be responsible for making your choice that may come out wrong.

We have not been telling propaganda to anyone on either side. It is up to each individual. Each of us on these 5 pages will eventually have to make their own decision. As we have been going along, we have been learning about it. This is something new to everyone of us.

We are all in the same dilemma as you are. Some of us will change their minds, if it increases in our neiborhood. Some of us may not. I am on the fence, now.

We have been told to stay at home if we get sick. We are to treat it like the regular flu. If your son does get sick, this is what I do when I get any type of flu. This is for children. Take Pedialyte, oral electroyte solution. It stops diarrhea and vomiting to help prevent dehydration. Also, wear a respirator mask. Stay at home, if you are sick.

All of the health care providers, doctors, secretaries, etc. have all gotten their H1N1 flu shot in the small town that I live in. None of them have gotten sick. I had a fever and was sick when I had to see my doctor. I put on my respirator mask (I bought it at Wal-Mart) and took 1/4 cup of Pedialyte. My doctor's charge me an extra 35$ for a no show so I went. I protected myself and them.

I cannot tell you what to do and it be the wrong thing.

I hope we have a poll at the end of getting the H1N1 flu virus to see how many got it and how many on these 5 pages did not.

I live in PA too, things like that help me with my decision also.
I also have been taking vitamin D3 for the past 2 years as a separate supplement. Maybe that has helped me build up an immunity. So, I think the shot, presuming I have nothing like G. B. Syndrome, will be a double protection. I saw the D3 posted numerous times on Youtube and I am glad I have been taking that one.

1. will your school allow you to choose?

No choice just H1N1

2. It is mandatory for school age children. If you live in California, you have no choice.

No

4. You have seen people get sick from the virus, did they have to be hospitalized.

His friend got H1N1 but we do not see her often they caught it early so no hospital.

5. Would your son be getting the nasal mist or single shot? The single shot is safer.

The shot mainly b/c it states that kids with seizure disorders should not take the nasal.

We have not been telling propaganda to anyone on either side.

Oh I know, it just makes my head spin. It is just so hard. Being a parent is by far the hardest job ever.

Yes, the hardest job in the world is being a parent. I know because I have 4 children and 3 grandchildren. I am 66 years old and all of my children are adults now.

It does not matter, I still worry about them making the right deciscions in life. It is still a hard job for me. Now, I tell them what right and wrong choices I have learned. Being a parent never ends, if you really care for your children.

1. Will your school allow you to choose?
Your answer, "No choice."

2. Do you want to fight the school?
3. Will your child be expelled for not taking the H1N1 flu shot?

These are questions you need to get answers to. That will help you make your decsion.
4. Do you want to take the consequenses that the school will dish out?
5. How will the other students feel about the decsion?
6. Will they be afraid to be around your son if he does not get the shot?

The single shot is the safest. Ask yourselve these questions? It is still up to you.

After a huge talk with my wife we decided to get the shot and cross our fingers.

It is the only way in my mind to keep him safe and do what parents do, make hard decisions. Thanks for your thoughts and input.

Even though I do not write very often, you are ALL always in my thoughts...

Hi, I will be getting the flu shot. My husband and son are my caregivers. Caregiveers are required to get the H1N1. They are in the mandatory category. I am too, because of my age. I think we should all get it as a family or not get it at all.

The shots will not be ready until the end of the month. Every doctor, nurse and anyone else has gotten the shot. They are all right.

It is a tough deciscion. Anyone else made their final deciscion?

I think we should have a poll on the number of CWE who had the shot and those who did not. I am curious.

I dont think there is a MANDATORY catagory, just a priority catagory. If it were mandatory there would be alot of angry people. conencious objectors and people against science and vaccines.

I would be angry as i refuse to let a government tell me what to put into MY body and when.

Rae, I agree with you. In California, they have made it mandatory. They have stated that several times on the news and by doctors, hospitals.

If anyone refused, there is nothing the government can do about it. They are using that word to try to get people to get it. Nobody is angry or anything for that reason. There is not enough vaccine to go around all of California.

I do not know about other states and other goernments, though. Thank you for telling me that it is not mandatory in other states and countries.

I have

NO INTENTION of getting either flu shot. Never have, never will. I have enough issues already, I deal with them fairly well. (You'd never guess how many, I hide them well.)

But I have NO DESIRE to complicate things any further with any shots. Or any vaccines that in my case, could even SLIGHTLY POSSIBLY, go awry. Nope, sorry Charlie, that just ain't happenin' here. When I have had the flu before, I have NOT been able to keep ANYTHING in....and frankly, I take TOO MANY MEDS to risk that.

They'll have to throw me in jail to give it to me.....:soap::soap:

Hi Meetz

You do not have to get the flu shot. I take Pedialyte (elctolytes) to keep everything in. It works. Try that the next time you get the flu. Just a suggestion.

NO INTENTION of getting either flu shot. Never have, never will. I have enough issues already, I deal with them fairly well. (You'd never guess how many, I hide them well.)

But I have NO DESIRE to complicate things any further with any shots. Or any vaccines that in my case, could even SLIGHTLY POSSIBLY, go awry. Nope, sorry Charlie, that just ain't happenin' here. When I have had the flu before, I have NOT been able to keep ANYTHING in....and frankly, I take TOO MANY MEDS to risk that.

They'll have to throw me in jail to give it to me.....:soap::soap:

:clap::clap::clap:

Rebecca is suppose to have a tetanus shot for an upcoming school trip to Yosemite, and I am looking for a waiver. It still has thimerisol in it, and I am not worried about the disease.

It looks like most of us have made our descions.

I would still like a poll after all of the shots are passed out, to see how many got the shot and how many who decided not to. I would like to see it here on this site. This is where we have been discussing it.

Allergic reactions to H1N1 vaccine in Canada. Vaccine being recalled.
None were recalled in the USA

Fox News 11/24/09

Hi Robin, it looks like you made the right decsion. It is going around the US, so slowly. They have strict guidelines in California. I do not believe it is ever going to get around to my doctor. By the time it does, the flu season will be over.

Yesterday, my doctor got the H1N1 flu vaccine. I decided to take the flu shot. So did my husband and son.

I will let you know if I get real sick or am okay. We each have to make our own decision.

Back
Top Bottom