What do you do in your spare time?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Loopy Lou

Veteran
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity and cos i just like to know about people, what do you do in your spare time?

I bet there's a lot of skilled/creative/sporty people on here.

I've recently taken up baking and i'm doing pretty good! Unfortunately i don't eat much of it myself but there's never a shortage of taste testers lol.

I also dabble in painting. I'm good at drawing, not so much at painting :p I enjoy it though.

And then of course there's the birds who are my companions and another challenge, training my agressive new cockatiel! Good thing i have a lot of patience with the noisy, feathery bugger.

So what do you get up to?

I'm penny-pinching right now, so my spare-time activities are pretty tame: TV, reading (I'm in a book group), walking. When the weather gets nicer and my shoulder gets stronger I will do as much swimming and kayaking as I can. I do photography and have a lot of fun putting together photo-books.

Congrats on the baking! I have almost zero kitchen skills, so it's always an adventure when I have to put together a meal for friends...

Currently in my spare time I am doing lots!

I am sewing (I use thrifted sheets and curtains. Its alot of yardage for a little price) Ive make bags and shirts and dresses and pants etc.

I make jewelry. viking knit copper necklaces (or silver) plus dragon scale chainmaille bracelets etc. trying to make formal and elegant medical alert bracelets.

Oh i saw one of your bracelets Rae! It must have taken an awful long time.

I'm making strawberry cupcakes today but it's pretty hot outside (and even hotter in my kitchen) so my icing keeps melting. Will have to leave it in the fridge and ice/decorate them later when it's cooler.

Luckily i think good cooking runs in my family, my dad gave me a recipe book that his mum gave to him. Some of the old fashioned advice is quite amusing!

I'm having to go for cheap options too. Luckily the kind of paints i use aren't too expensive (acrylics) and baking ingredients aren't too bad either.

I still need to make a decent loaf of bread though!

actually it doesnt take as long as you'd think. The anklet I made took 30 minutes

Read. I love memoirs, try not to buy anything but. I just find other people's life stories so fascinating, easy page turners compared to some fiction out there.

Research. I find I feel more scared about E's unknowns if I'm not constantly educating myself, esp. in the current/petrified situation of potential surgery, so I spend a lot of time online and in books trying to find out as much as I can.

And this site. Would be a lie to say I don't spend A LOT of my spare time (lol and work time!) on here.

I read a lot too, but lately it seems like i just read before i go to bed cos otherwise i fall asleep!

I try to go for a walk everyday if the weather is nice.
I am currently doing an online course in Cert 3 Business so try to do a little bit of that each week.
I used to do cross stitching but haven't done it for a while, I really need the motivation to start doing it again lol.
And of course I come on here & another epilepsy forum each day lol.

I garden ride motorcycles run/walk 5k make crafts and do craft shows. but the best thing I try do at least once aday is take a good nap.

I love to read, garden, write letters, and am trying my hand at sewing again. I enjoy photography, especially taking pictures of flowers. In my younger years I used to bake breads, cookies, etc. and enter at the fair. Rae.. do you have an ETSY shoppe?

Mary

Aw it's a shame we don't have fairs like that over here. Very rarely anyway. At least if i'm heading off to a gathering or something i don't have to buy a gift, i'll just take one with me lol.

humm i do not much, theres nothing here to do.... what i woul looovve to do as hobby or whatever u call it would be to go to as many concerts and festivels as i can! (if i was rich! ) hahaha

MaryK. I do not have an etsy shop... yet. Because I am doing more custom type things. Once I get an idea of the types of chain I want and then the types of add ons then I will set up a shop/

Sleep, bubble baths, happy hour :p, trying new restaurants, watching football or baseball on TV, snuggle with my 8 yr old mamas boy (lol), playing on my iphone, and the occassional movie/concert.

playing and watching sports along with listening to music and playing aroung on my phone and workingout when im not hurt or seizing.

Hm... As my screen name implies, I like to run when I'm not injured - which is sadly a lot... did my first full marathon last month about a week before my diagnosis actually! Though seven half marathons before that. I also like hiking, swimming, exploring new cities/small towns, reading (I like Russian literature as well as cheesy "chick lit" as it's called!), writing, oh... and I sing and have played the flute since I was 9 years old (and still play - though not as frequently).

This, of course, is the "cool stuff." Otherwise I spend a bunch of time online, hehe. I like learning and researching new stuff (lately it's been epilepsy, but before this, it was pretty much anything else - especially psychology related stuff, which was my major in college).

I also enjoy running, and do 5k's whenever I get the chance. I just did my 3rd half marathon last weekend, and hope to run a full marathon some day. I like to think I can play the guitar on occasion (actually the bass guitar mostly) and I used to be in a few bands. I have a few other small hobbies, but nothing too exciting. Unless you count juggling fire.

Running rocks! Such a good feeling to train up for something and complete it :) I actually went into my first marathon injured - wouldn't recommend that - but I was supposed to still be deployed for another 8 months following the marathon, so I said "why the hell not, I have plenty of time to recover!" (it was my third attempt at running one because I always got hurt in the training process). I don't always make the smartest decisions, lol. And I would say... juggling fire totally counts.

My favorite thing about running is the energy of the mass of people all running together. Unfortunately, I did not train for this last half marathon, and as a result, I have not been able to walk all week! Oops... That will teach me for being lazy. And I don't have to worry about deploying ever again, the good old seizures have taken care of that... I hate epilepsy.

Ooo, military? That's why I'm not currently in Afghanistan! Had a good old seizure at my desk (I think), and someone walked in while I was repeatedly banging my head on the flag pole with blood all over the floor (this is what my reports say, anyways). Oh the irony... I was sent back stateside shortly after that fun experience, lol.

Back
Top Bottom