Melatonin And Epilepsy

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Stinkpot

New
Reaction score
I have Catamenial Epilepsy and ever since I was atleast 12(I'm 26 right now), I've had very bad sleeping problems. Falling asleep is the biggest problem I have, now that I know that diphenhydramine(I've been taking over a year now) causes seizures and I had my first convulsion in almost 3 years last week, so I'm off of that and have to go to sleep on my own.

It's been a living hell for the past few days! It is so hard to sleep with out my sleeping aids! I barely got any sleep last night and had a simple partial when I got home from work. I'm supposed to avoid naps, but I was scared of having a sleep-deprived convulsion, so I had to go to sleep. Now I'm going to be up all night!
I did some research on safe sleep aids for Epileptics, and an over the counter sleep aid called "Melatonin" was said to be safe among Epileptics - I just bought some, but I felt like I needed to know some more about it, and unfortuantlly, according to some sites - it can cause seizures in epileptics. Melatonin is also a natural hormone - I'm kinda unsure if that could have an effect on my high amounts of estrogen.

Here's info on the sleep aid I bought:

Name: Vitafusion SleepWell Gummy Sleep Support For Adults

Supplement Facts:----------------------------------------------------

Serving Size 2 Gummies
Servings Per Bottle 30
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amount Per Serving %Daily Value
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Calories 10
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total Carbohydrate 3g 1%t
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sugar Alcohol 3g **
Melatonin 3mg **
Passion Flower 17mg **
Chamomile Flower 17mg **
Lemon Balm Leaf 16mg **
tPercent Daily Values Are Based On A 2,000 Calorie Diet.
**Daily Value Not Established.
Other Ingredients: Maltitol, gelatin, natural flavors, citric acid, lactic acid, sucralose, color(annatto extract), fractionated coconut oil, and carnauba wax.

Do you think I just screwed up buying this? Or do you think I'll be ok?
What are some sleep aids that are proven safe for epileptics? Considering sleep deprivation can easily cause a seizure - you would imagine we'd need help falling asleep if we had sleeping issues, right?

I would really like to have this answered quickly, cause I usually prefer putting my self to sleep at 10 pm to 11 pm and it's almost 10 pm here now!

Thanks for any answers!

Some threads to check out:
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/has-anyone-ever-used-melatonin-sleep-3064/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/melatonin-11352/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/going-try-melatonin-sleeping-14920/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/got-through-night-1-melatonin-14959/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/melatonin-way-prevent-seizures-your-sleep-11485/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f20/melatonin-12353/
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/melatonin-experience-14969/

There isn't clear data on melatonin one way or another, and the size of the dose can be a factor. Generally, it's a good idea to start with a very small dose to see how you feel. And with melatonin, more isn't necessarily better -- a small dose might be perfect, but a larger dose might be a seizure trigger. Unfortunately there's no way to predict your own particular reaction. I hope it works in a good way for you.

On the plus side, melatonin works as an anti-estrogen, so if you are vulnerable to catamenial epilepsy it may have a beneficial effect.

I took one dose(2 gummies) so that's 3mg. It's the suggested use on the bottle. Do you think 3 mg is too much? It doesn't seem like it, but I browsed past one of the threads you provided and it said, that someone had to take .25 mg. This does not look good for me....

I take 3mg daily. I was taking a lower dosage when I first started it. I've always had problems sleeping and many of my seizures are nocturnal. I believe it has helped me.

Hope it helps and hopefully...pleasant dreams!

I started taking this in January 2012. I wasnt able to stay asleep during the night and would wake up alot of times. My neuro's nurse said to give it a try. Start out at 3mgs a night, and you can have up to 10mgs. I took the melatonin and had no problems. I was even told a couple of months ago that they have a Melatonin TR (Time Release) out there now. I picked up some of that and for me, it works even better. Those come in a 5mg tablet, but Ive taken two of those and they do the trick for me. :)

I take 1/2 tablet of 3mg metalonin, when I tried the whole tablet I had seizures the next day.
I've been the 1/2 tablet for over 2 years now and it keep me.

As you know we all react diff. to diff. meds.

Trying to find what works for each of us, sometimes it's trial and error, I hate to say.

I took 3mg last night and slept well - until I woke up! I had lots, and I mean lots of simple partials this morning! The session lasted over an hour. I had to call off work cause I was scared I might have another convulsion. But I didn't. But my mom, who was against the use of sleeping aids was so angry at me. She yelled at me, "NO MORE SLEEPING AIDS!!" and violently tossed the bottle in the garbage. To make things worse my supervisor didn't sound too happy that I had to call in early again. I think I'm going to be fired. What a horrible day!

There has to be a seizure-safe sleep aid out there! PLEASE, if any one knows some please tell! I'm hanging on by a short thread to keep my job!

Thanks!

Last edited:
I also take 1/4 tablet of Magnesium along with the 1/2 melatonin these are added to my Clonazepam.

I know your mom means well, but I know how you feel needing sleep. My husband didn't like it when I brought the melatonin because I so sensitive to all most everything. But I had to try.

I hope you find something to help you.

I take either a 3 mg or 5 mg tab of melatonin every night (we have both the 3 and the 5, so I kind of randomly alternate) and I have done so for several years with no ill effects. That helps some, I think. I used to take at least 1 or 2 hours to fall asleep at night, and what REALLY fixed that problem was 1/2 of a 1mg alprazolam (xanax) tablet. My doc prescribed that for me several years ago when I was going through some particularly tough things. I found that I didn't need or want it for the stress, but that it puts me to sleep really well at night. I take it about 20 minutes before I want to go to sleep. Great stuff, for me. I have not developed a tolerance for it, so 1/2 mg before bed is all I need. It doesn't make a difference with my szs. either.

I didn't take ANYTHING last night - and the simple partials were worse than yesterday's! Lasting over an hour, it was absolutely terrible! There was lots of stuttering, and I threw up my breakfast. I was in tears - I don't want to miss work again! Thankfully I was blessed with a snow storm and my ride came late, so that gave me time for the simple partials to fade off. I had a simple partial on my way to work.

I also have a question, I haven't drank coffee in a long time and replaced it with instant breakfast. When I went to work today, I was still in the "magnetic field(a strange sensation of fuzziness and alertness that happens during simple partial sessions, including simple partial-like sensations)" untill I had a cup of coffee. I felt back to normal. Should I go back to drinking coffee? Some times I've had simple partial sessions in the morning that will go away once I smoke a cig. However, that effect unfortuantly, stopped working recently(something actually good out of smoking!).

If you feel safe experimenting, and think it will help, go ahead and try a little coffee. Caffeine affects everyone differently -- for instance, for some folks it causes migraines and for others it can help relieve them -- so perhaps it may do you more good than harm.

Last night I didn't take anything, I got 8 hours of sleep, and I still had simple partials this morning! Thankfully, the session was not bad. The session lasted about 30 minutes, the simple partials were isolated and no where near as much as the past few days.

I'm going to make a topic regarding some changes with my epileptic episodes.

I tried Melatonin awhile back and at first only took the one pill which was 3 MG and it didn't seem to do much so I started taking 2, 3 MG and it helped a lot more. I find that if I have trouble sleeping, I tend to have aura's more and my brain feels fuzzy. Everyone reacts different to medications and you might want to see if the anti-seizure meds interact with Melatonin and ask the Neurologist about it.

I have a body that seems to require more meds than usual for it to work, either that or my body is somehow immune to the effects, at least as far as over the counter stuff. First time in hospital, they gave me morphine for pain and that kicked my ass and did make me very sleepy but then it was put in my IV and reaction was instant. My vision bounced up and down like a bouncing ball. Over the counter stuff never does that which makes you wonder when they say it's prescription strength, if that's a lie.

I use valerian root tea (I think it tastes disgusting, but getting used to it now) this works for me, and doesn't affect the getting up process in the morning (ie feeling groggy), like Nytol (its a over the counter sleeping pill) does.

Back
Top Bottom