What's The Funniest Experience During A Seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Elaine H

New
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I just wondered if you might share you're amusing or embarassing moments with us all? I think my two worst ones were as follows::clap:

I was in Church's China a very expensive store in Northampton town centre, I was with my friend and her young daughter. At the time, Jenny my pal had broken her leg, and was on crutches. We were in the crystal department, when I decided to have a bad seizure, as I fell, I kicked out and knocked one of her crutches from her, she fell down, so the scene is set, me on the floor giving it large!! my mate lying there trying to reach her crutches, and Sammy-Jo shouting "mummy mummy!!" The store assistant came over with a glass of water, and I think was very kind and helpful, but it must have made a hilarious sight!!! :roflmao:

The other occasion, I was with a mate at lunch time during the week, so we both had nice suits on, and were in the McDonalds drive thru, ordered our food, and parked up to eat it. I went wonky, and took the lid off my strawberry milkshake, and poured it over Paul's head!!! I will never ever know why I did this, I have only one memory of it, and that's watching it pouring down his face!! He said to me..."You stupid cow, what the f_ _k did you do that for?!" As I came out of the seizure, I just burst out laughing and said, "you're all covered in milkshake, what happened?!" Brilliant, he is actually writing what happened that day so I can put it in my book in the funny experiences chapter, his wife was not amused!!!:paperbag:

I so hope that you guys can sit back and laugh sometimes at epilepsy, I really think it's the ONLY way to deal with it, it has really helped me get through it over the last 22 years, and I hope my book is a middle finger to epilepsy and all the negative things related to it! I would so love to hear back from you all, don't be embarassed, one thing's for sure, we are all among friends here eh?!:banana:

Love To You All!!

Elaine xxxxx

I sleep walked out of bed, opened up my sliding glass door in my living room, and stood out on my balcony in my underwear for a few minutes. Thankfully it was still dark. My girlfriend at the time didn't tell my about it for two weeks. I never knew it happened!

Now, dare I admit this one ?? <gulp>.....I got my dick out at a queue in a Supermarket, as that's one off my reactions - probably due to me weeing myself alot when I was a kid - when I have a sz. :paperbag: I'm not completely sure if the person at the till (where I was stood at the time) actually took any notice as I was kinda stood PAST her at the time, but I'm sure the people behind me were talking !!....I doubt it if I'll ever see 'em again anyway, ho hum.

This is one off the reasons I'm grateful for aura's - it gives me the chance to find somewhere where I can get away with it, ie. a loo !!

I just think at the time, I was kinda hoping that it was just gonna be an aura, but nope, I was wrong.

I remember I had this gorgeous woman come over. We'd gone out a couple times before & were just getting to know each other.

The energy between us was getting pretty hot, she wanted to go for a ride out to a more rural part of town so we got in the car. It was just as I was doing up my seatbelt that I had a seizure. I remember that she was talking when it started & I think my head was pulled to the right (which is quite normal) so that it would appear that I'm looking away from her.

Afterwards I couldn't talk for a good 15 min. or so. Meanwhile she didn't say a word, when I finally was able to talk she still didn't say a word. When we got close I asked if this was the place & she said, "I've decided not to bother".
I tried to start some sort of conversation but in the 45 min-an hour that we were in the car that was all she said except "good-bye".

I never heard from her again.

TT and Forward,

Thank you for sharing those stories as I myself have done my share of rated "R" things too.

It is nice to know that I'm not the only one who has had bouts of stripping in public...or of public urination! :paperbag: (When I can, I also head for the bathroom too TT...it's like instinct).

I look at it like this:
If I've got to have these seizures, at least God gave me a good-looking body. Who knows? I may have given some poor bastard the show of his life! :roflmao:

Some funny things I have done ictal or post-ictal:

Patted a man on the butt in Wal-Mart who turned out NOT to be my hubby:banana:

Walked down the middle of my neighborhood in my pajamas

Sat down at a table in a nice restaurant...only to realize I didn't know the people I had snuggled in the booth with!:cheers:

Did a headstand on the sofa in the study-room at college. :clap:
(Yes, I am talented. :D And dang lucky I took gymnastics as a child)!

Thank you for sharing! I like to giggle, but more importantly, I like to know that I'm not alone! :agree:

Keep smiling. -Julie

The funniest experience that I ever had during a seizure was that I almost walked in front of bus at the bus depot.

Hmmmm

I suppose that would be sitting naked, or just about totally naked, on my front lawn, legs spread wide, rocking back and forth.......after having one of my blasted t/c's.......

I was just beginning to think that Rebecca is rather lucky that she goes down and is out during her seizure. Nothing unique or funny about it.

When you have to go .... make sure someone is with you!

:embarrassed:

I was postictal and in midst of confusion but
was gradually "coming out of it"; and since the
ER at the Hospital was extremely busy, as many
of the ER Staff were out sick (virus running around
as well as cold & flu) so there were Nurse shortages.

Well, I had to go to the restroom, and normally
they keep the patients in bed and use the bedpan,
but the ER Doc told her it was OK for me to use
the bathroom down the hall.

She lowered the bed, and led me out and pointed
and then said "Come back when you are done"....

Here I was, having no idea where I was supposed
to go and yet, some Nurses saw me, and inquired
about what I was doing and all I said "Got to pee"
and they pointed at the doors there to my left.

OK - I'm standing there, confused, I am not sure
which one I am supposed to use! (Men or Women)
*laughing*
(Usually Men is on the right and Women is on the
left back in those days - but today they've pretty
much become "Unisex" and individual)

Since "when you've gotta go, you've gotta go!",
and here I was utterly confused - so I used the
right door (Men) and I got even more confused
why it looked differently! *laughing* So I went
into the stall, and did my "business", and when
I came out, the ER Doctor that just walked in...

:embarrassed:

Just remarked, "should have had a Nurse with
you..." and he helped me to wash my hands and
led me back to the ER Room (and I didn't even know
which bed I was in) but he sure did let everyone
know where I was!

:noevil:

They kept teasing me about it - but as the hours
went on, I became much better, and the ER Doctor
even teased me if I had "any future plans to head
to the Men's Restroom?" (And he was laughing...)

That is how I remember it so well; and it made their
night go by easier as it bought humor to the stressful
and hectic /busy night with such shortage they had.

:paperbag:

This is ONE event I'd like to forget! But yet, I still bring
it up once in a blue moon ... because it is funny!

My Lacey Pink Thing!!

One other crazy thing I did, I was coming out of the Managing Director's P.A's office one day, there was a board meeting going on in the next office, and Elaine suddenly decides to remove her trousers!!! Ohmygod, thank goodness the P.A was there she said..." I just managed to drag Elaine into my office before she removed her trousers!!" I'll never forget her telling me afterwards,,"Ooohh, you 'ad a lovely pink thong on!!!" Maybe not a good career move eh?!

Keep 'em coming guys!! :clap:

Last edited:
There's only one more I can remember at the moment (not as embarassing as my 'other' experience....phew!) :

I was in the Bar with my Dad and family, whilst me and my Dad were getting the drinks....."uh oh, I can feel one coming on"....."nah, it's gonna pass, it's gonna pass"....."ooh look, she's gonna over-fill that glass if she doesn't switch off the tap"....

....at this point I reached over and stopped the beer being over-poured - yep, I was having a sz. She kinda thanked me, but looked at my Dad rather odd - he just told her that I'd just had a 'funny turn', as he likes to call 'em.

She actually came over to our table about 15 minutes later, and asked if everything was alright. That was when I was able to explain I had E, and she completely understood - what a cool person. Shame I didn't have my 'pulling' head on at the time !!

I'll never forget her telling me afterwards,,"Ooohh, you 'ad a lovely pink thong on!!!" Maybe not a good career move eh?!
Keep 'em coming guys!!

:roflmao: God, I've been there Elaine...what can we say...we're just two sexy women with epilepsy :roflmao:

At our "Fall Formal" (dance, prom-type thing) in college, I was wearing a very tight, very cute, and very short, little black dress. We were in downtown Atlanta at the Fox in a ballroom.

Well, I went into a c-p seizure and climbed up under our table! Coming out of the seizure, I realized I was in the dark, and I wiggled out from under the table butt-first...in my too tight black dress (no doubt I was terribly graceful) ;) My friends joked that I always knew how to "make an entrance."

If I gotta go, I might as well go in style! :roflmao:

Love,
Julie :e:

I worked the register at a diner, and the cook worked behind me ...he LOVED Rock music. It was a friday night, I began seizing in the middle of our rush and the cook thought I was dancing so he stopped cooking to look at me....all I remember was him smiling with the spatula over his head...screaming " Yeah " as I was falling to the ground.

Then some guy in the line says shes having a seizure and he starts shoving napkins down my throat so I wouldnt swallow my tounge.

Everytime I think about that I laugh.

After a day of having c/p's that generalized into a t/c, I thought I was finished with all the seizures. Apparently, I was still having c/p's when I decided to take a shower. I remember turning the water on... Next thing I know, I'm laying sideways across my bed with my mom and my husband putting my underwear on me. It seems that I got into the shower fully dressed then had a t/c. Smacked my head on the faucet, but not too bad. I was embarrassed as they had to undress me then re-dress me.

I think I may have all of you beat...

but if this hadn't happened I might never have been diagnosed at all. Please excuse me if I embarrass anyone of you more than I will myself by telling this but... It was the night of my husband's birthday and I had planed to make it a very "nice" birthday. I remember sitting on the sofa smiling at hubby and the next thing I remember is waking up the next morning feeling a little regret because I must have fallen asleep before giving hubby his final "birthday present". I was going to make it up to him when he got home from work that night but before I could say anything, he said, "You almost fell asleep during sex last night." I couldn't believe what I was hearing and I told him not to kid me about a thing like that, that I was sorry for falling asleep and he looked at me like I was kidding. I didn't remember anything at all, but he said I initiated, I was even on top ( sorry folks :blush: ), and I just kept getting slower and slower. I had to swear to him I didn't remember and that I wasn't kidding. When I told him I had spent all day looking forward to making it up to him he knew I was serious and that's when I told the neuro and along with a few other incidents related to the neuro I got my dx of partial seizures!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine came right before my diagnosis too. It was the beginning of the school year and I was at a luncheon for administrators/coordinators in my school district. As it so happened, I was seated beside our Superintendent on one side and an administrator friend on the other side. I was feeling "off" when I went in to the meeting and the room had the overhead fluorescent lights that I've since found are a trigger. I ate my food and then we were sitting there listening to some introductions. It was very loud in the room and the clapping of hands was making me feel like I was on overload. I suddenly had a weird feeling come over me and thought that if I took a drink of water, I would feel better. However, I guess I picked up the glass and, half-way to my mouth, had the partial seizure. My head turned to the left and I could hear my friend saying, "Are you alright, are you alright?" over and over again however, I couldn't respond in any way. After about 30 to 45 seconds, the glass literally "jumped" back into my line of vision and my friend said, "Are you alright because you've poured your water all over yourself?" My Superintendent on the other side of me was just staring at me. Needless to say, I got up and left dying of embarrassment and scared to death. However, it led me to the doctor which resulted in a diagnosis! While it wasn't funny at the time, it is now.

I was in my Chemistry class...taking a midterm I couldn't see the bubbles to fill them in and just filled in random ones after a while. I'm sure the test looked absolutely ridiculous, because I think I answered some questions in the wrong slots, two answers for one answer space, etc.

But when I went to turn it in and hand it to my teacher, I started to have a seizure. My hand was outstretched w/ test in hand, I wasn't letting go. My tongue was pointed out at her and my friend (who knew about my seizures) gasped and ran down to take the test from my hand and whisk me away. The teacher was a bit confused because it looked like I was being quite rude, sticking my tongue out at her and not letting her take my test... which looked like a child was playing connect the dots. Before my friend could whisk me away I kind of came out of it and slurred the word, "Sorrrrryseizuress." She gave me the strangest looks the whole year after that.

Another funny one was when I dyed my hair purple for a bit of time. We met up with some friends and she complimented my new do. I then got the saddest look on my face, tears welled up and I started to have a seizure in my boyfriends coat ( i was hiding my face ). She thought I hated it and was insulted somehow. Explaining that was very interesting. What a misunderstanding.

~blush~blush~ Husband was an AF colonel and we were at a fancy party. I decided to sneak into a room where smoking was allowed (this was back when I did that) and a super VIP civillian couple came with me. They are NICE lovely people who had seen me have calm, quiet cp's before -- all I EVER did was sit there completely silent, lick my lips, swallow and stare into space.
When I "finished" I saw that they were looking shocked and horrified .... the husband told me that instead of my usual silence I had given them a steady string of absolute filth. I spouted words they rarely heard and some she didn't know existed.

hahahahahahaha

This is so funny when my mom (brain/Sharon) had a seizure and she was all disorientated. While the emergency room had her all doped up, we took her home. And she freaked out! She kept saying it wasn't our home and freaked out that we were breaking and entering! She flatly refused to enter into our own home and sat outside on the edge of the driveway crying. Dad had to go out there and get mom and carry her to the house and she grabbed the door posts! Dad and I were trying to remove her hands off and they were like glued on. But once we got her hands off, she then used her feet to stop us from getting her inside. The neighbors were all looking at mom like she lost it! They knew she had a bad seizure and was taken to the hospital by ambulance, so one of the neighbors gave us a hand to get mom's feet off the doorway, and finally we got her inside and on the couch and she was petrified! The neighbor told dad to call the Doctor because he thought maybe they gave her too much medications or the wrong medications and so dad did. And we had to wait awhile for the Doctor to call back after when he got a hold of the hospital. After he called back, he told us to give her an ativan and wait until she gets drowsy and put her to bed and they will call in the morning. When mom woke up in the morning. She had no idea that she had a seizure at all and could not figure out why the hospital bands were on her wrist. Dad told mom she made a fool of herself last night coming home and now she will have to face the neighbors. Dad told mom what all had happened and then mom wanted to die of embarrassment!! When mom went outside to get the mail and newspaper in the morning the neighbors were al looking at her and she was like ashamed, but they all asked if she was ok now? Dad and I were outside listening to the neighbors and she was just standing there and they were telling her all about what was going on last night when we all came home. She could not believe it! My mom had no memory of this at all. The Doctor's secondary Doctor called to see how mom was and she was kind of half there but not all normal yet, so he told us to give her half of the ativan now and then another half later after dinner. One of the neighbors made dinner for us that night since all mom did was sleep all day and all night. For a long time mom has laughed about this because it is funny as this had never happened before but the Doctor was angry at the hospital for having her to go home so soon since she was not safe yet to be released I think is what dad said and I know mom was only in the emergency room for like an hour and half before they let her go.

Steve/Sharon

:e: Oh, been there. I wonder how in God's creation can I not remember this happening???

I once had a seizure in an antique store full of "depression glass." It turned into a saga as my mother fought to keep me from knocking things off the shelves...very expensive things might I add (it would have really been "depressed glass" if I'd have touched it!) :noevil:

Anyway, the store owner had no idea what was going on, and by the time my mother got me out of the store...I had bruises on both my wrists. And being in a c-p, I had no memory of the seizure or fighting my mom.

Any other time my mother would never pull on me, but she had to in the store to protect me from getting cut. She cried when she saw she had bruised me. But I was fine with it...had no memory of any of it.

Apparently, I'm a dam* good fighter...who would of thunk it? Don't mess with me! :roflmao:

-Julie

Back
Top Bottom