My License...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Rae1889

Veteran
Reaction score
So last night I got in the mail (took them long enough) My notice of suspension for my license. I thought I accepted the fact that I couldn't drive until I was seizure free (and not sure I wanted to have it back if I only had 1 seizure a year)But it hit me, that I will always have to be dependant on someone or something for transportation outside walking distance.

I will always have to remember to buy a bus pass, or have change on hand.

I will always have to have someone drive me places outside the city, where no taxi or bus goes (ie: chad's parents live 3 hours away, as do a few of my bridemaids.)

I will never have complete independance again.

That shocked me. and then I started to read what teh requirements were for me to get my license back. I had to have a letter from my neurologist, copy of a recent CT scan and EEG, how long I have been seizure free (doesnt give a time frame of what is mandatory) and what meds I am on.

Then looking down a list of who cannot drive because they "pose a risk to themselves and teh general public" I was appaled by who they didnt have on the list. they had people who had heart problems, people with sight problems, deaf people, and seizure disorders

What they didnt have on there where people who were addicted to drugs or alcohol, people with a history of suicide attempts, diabetes and people with asthma.
I can think of so many scenarios that would warrant these people to not drive, and I hear about those way more often than someone who has E that crashes a car.

I have heard of suicidal people who have attempted it so many times and then one day, they get into their car, and decide to speed into oncoming traffic hoping to die.

I have heard of people going into diabetic shock (my grandpa) and crashing their car, more than once, and they kept their license.

I have heard of people being startled by something while driving and had a asthma attack and crashed.

Alcoholics and chronic drug abusers speaks for itself. and they keep their license. Unless they get caught driving while impaired and even then, it is a fine, and the license is lost for x number of months and they can do it again. and again and again. there is nothing from a doctor that sayd their habit is cured, they get it back because that is the penalty and they "did the time"

Now someone who has E, that is controlled, but they have a seizure once a week, or month is not allowed to drive because they are a danger. I am sure that most people (correct me if I am wrong) can tell when they are gonna have a seizure. (ex: someone seizes once a week. They wake up monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, and feel fine, and no auras etc. they should be allowed to drive. They wake up friday feeling funny, they know they shouldnt drive.) People with E usually know themselves and their bodies response just before a seizure. If you have only nocturnal seizures, you should be able to drive, as its impossible to drive while sleeping.

Even people who are groggy on cold medicine, know it is in their best interest to not drive. I think there should be more patient imput on whether you get your drivers license suspened or not, and how soon you can get it back. I know I am not controlled right now, and I dont think i will be. But when I am, I dont want to wait a whole year after every seizure!

I read that page, thought about all that, then cried solid for an hour until I had a few tonic clonics, and thats how my night ended (i had the feeling I was gonna seize all day yesterday so I knew it was inevitable, but crying so hard didnt help)

Actually, I'm one of those who has no aura whatsoever. :) Here in California, you can be deaf and drive also. :) But, your vehicle must have working mirrors. :)

I'm sorry Rae, that's hard to adjust to. But there may well be a time when you have complete seizure control and can regain your license. And you're still allowed to ride a bicycle, right? Or maybe a Segway?

I have to say, I've driven when technically it was illegal for me to do so. There's a 6-month post-seizure waiting period here in Massachusetts, but there's no requirement for the neurologist to notify the DMV, so it's been my call. And I know when I'm safe and when I'm not. (Basically the few times I've tried to taper off meds with my neurologist's supervision, are the times when I'm not safe and I don't drive. When I'm on my full normal dose, I am safe.)

Yes, well the neurologist had to call MPI (manitoba public insurance) which is the people who issue our license too. and I got the letter sayign what has to be done, and I'm okay with it for myself, I just think its silly that if or when I know I am controlled, I still have to wait a year, Then I get my license back, drive for 4 months, then have a seizure and start from square one.

but these people who do it constantly here in Canada have no consquences. Our justice system sucks. Recently we had a criminal released form jail deemed a high risk to re-offend and they let him out anyway, even though he showed no remorse to his victims, and the cruelty he showed to them (i would go into detail, but that is to gruemsome to say) should have had him locked up for life with no parole. He never killed anyone, but he may as well should have, from what those people now have to live with. This guy is allowed in society, repeat drunk drivers are allowed there licenses, I just dont understand why good people cant make the logical call with their license.

Statistics show that people with epilepsy don't have more car accidents than other people. So the laws are pretty unevenly applied.

I'm sorry to hear about this Rae. It's a tough thing losing that independence.

There seems to be little understanding with drivers licenses here. Rae you make some very good points. There should be a rule where if you have seizures without warning, then it's best not to drive. And if you are feeling wonky when you wake up then you don't drive. But if you normally have warnings, then you know when to park the car.

Most people with epilepsy are responsible for sure, and know our bodies, and know when it is safe to drive. Doesn't seem like we can convince the government about that though.

Nakamova - it's tough to rely on a bike here in Winnipeg as it snows about 5 months of the year... before I met my wife I walked and took the bus everywhere.

Sadly enough

there are many things in life that just don't make sense. I'm sooo sorry, Rae. Wish I could be of more help. :(:paperbag:

I'm just overly frustrated right now. Like Chris said, where we are it is the "land of never ending snow" and then after that in the summer it rains all the time. When we have sunny hot weather, its unbareably hot and heat stroke is a warning and sun burns.

Its really only rare when it is practical to walk or catch the bus (which isnt reliable, as it gets full fast, then skips stops, and runs really late, or doesnt show up. our bus system sucks too)

without a car or license you run into the following walking or busing:
*snow to your knees, blistering cold winds, (think -40 sometimes lower) zero visiblility, slick ice everywhere, and the bus stops arent sheltered (some are nice and heated but its rare) so if the bus is late you stand in the cold getting hypothermia and frost bite, not to mention once you thaw out at your destination, your soaked and shiverin.
*its pouring rain, thundering, lightening. Cars are literal driving through tire height puddles at times, splashing anyone standing at a bus stop, or walking on a sidewalk, it rains so hard an windy that umbrellas are useless and your soaked whether the bus is on time or not.
* it is so hot outside you actually feel your exposed skin bake, even with suntan lotion. if you wear anything other than a bathing suit outside, your soaked with sweat, and your dizzy from the heat. you burn so bad you blister, and peel. (i burned the skin on my nose so bad once it turned black and swelled like an orange. no fun)

Rae that is a very good synopsis of our lovely weather here in Winnipeg...

It's a very continental climate and we get the extremes of everything. Our temperature range is approx. -40°C to +40°C...

Wow Rae you are so right about the bus system... I've been taking it forever and it is so frustrating!!! They are especially unreliable late at night. One time I had to wait 1.5 hours downtown at night to get the bus. Another time 1.5 hours in -30°C weather, no bus shelter.

I love Winnipeg!

I certainly understand how you feel Rae. Here in Connecticut we can't drive for six months following a seizure, and it's been incredibly difficult for me, especially emotionally. Like you say, it's so hard having to depend on others for just about everything. I hope you won't assume you'll never be seizure free. Would it help if you knew how long you have to be seizure free to drive?

Now someone who has E, that is controlled, but they have a seizure once a week, or month is not allowed to drive because they are a danger. I am sure that most people (correct me if I am wrong) can tell when they are gonna have a seizure. (ex: someone seizes once a week. They wake up monday, tuesday, wednesday, thursday, and feel fine, and no auras etc. they should be allowed to drive. They wake up friday feeling funny, they know they shouldnt drive.) People with E usually know themselves and their bodies response just before a seizure. If you have only nocturnal seizures, you should be able to drive, as its impossible to drive while sleeping.

Even people who are groggy on cold medicine, know it is in their best interest to not drive. I think there should be more patient imput on whether you get your drivers license suspened or not, and how soon you can get it back. I know I am not controlled right now, and I dont think i will be. But when I am, I dont want to wait a whole year after every seizure!

I read that page, thought about all that, then cried solid for an hour until I had a few tonic clonics, and thats how my night ended (i had the feeling I was gonna seize all day yesterday so I knew it was inevitable, but crying so hard didnt help)

Rae,

I'm sorry you're having a difficult time dealing with not driving and seizures.
I used to live 1,000 miles away from family and the seizures were not controlled, had two kids plus my husband traveled, so I was on my own a good deal of the time. I couldn't drive for years and it was very difficult trying to raise kids, one who had a bad case of asthma. I had to ask for rides to the pediatrician for him and rides for myself at times to the dr. There was no public transportation where I lived at the time, so finding rides was hard.

Now my seizures are much better controlled with the VNS and I can drive again. However, 1 1/2 years ago, I was approaching the interstate and went into a CP seizure with no "aura" this time. I was in a hit and run accident and was ticketed for it as well as for leaving the scene of the accident. Fortunately, I was not driving fast and no one was injured. Only a bad scrape was done to both cars. That is the first for me. I didn't lose my license, but I lost my driving privileges for a year. I didn't have any more seizures the whole year, except nocturnal seizures, but I really didn't miss driving, either. The accident was a wake up call for me. It could have been much worse!! Sometimes when you think seizures are under control.........
SURPRISE! I'd rather be safe than sorry.

I made the mistaking of moving.
In alabama I lost all my dl's for a year,

now that I am in cali, it is 3 years if a doc reports it.

Last edited:
Dear Rae,
Im so sorry. Theres not much I can say other than lets get to work on getting you stable and then work on getting that license back. I know how hard it is and I am so sorry. I wish I could just wave a magic wand and fix everything*

joan*

(((Rae)))

I'm always late to the party. I need to work on that. :roflmao:

Anyway, I have to agree with Joan on this one. Let's get your seizures controlled and then worry about the driving bit. I think once you get things sorted out and you're not having these problems every day, things will get easier for you to deal with. Who knows, maybe if you find something that gives you good control, your neurologist will put in an exception for you to drive sooner. I think they can do that here in the states. Maybe it's the same across the border?

Rae I understand the feeling of losing independence. In the last 23 months I have been with that for 9 of those months and due to where I work I have to always get rides. I could have gotten there by bus but it would have taken 3 hours compared to 25 minutes.
As far as the others who are not limited on driving the only way to work on that is through the lawmakers of Canada. I ,not being Canadian, have no clue what the correct approach would be.
It is very hard in a smaller city to be independent without a car but that leaves the option of moving to a BIG city. I myself cannot stand those places so it is my choice to lose the independence to stay where I want.

FYI on seizures I have not clue on when they are going to happen they just do.

I do know how it feels to not drive. I'm almost 50 and have never been allowed a license. Often I do think it is a pain,especially in winter on the west (wet) coast.

Something I have noticed though is that because I've gotten used to doing things like scheduling appointments that are geographically close to each on the same day and scheduling other ones on different days, I tend to be less stressed than the people I know who are always in a rush but always seem to be behind schedule & never get enough done (never mind the stresses of vehicles breaking down, costing so much etc.)

I had to give up my licence 6 yrs ago. I have no warning of my seizures so I don't wake up and 'feel funny' to know not to drive. I did actually have one period where I had been seizure free for long enough to get my licence back. Here in the UK you have to be seizure free for a year. I went 54 weeks, sent off for my licence, and promptly had the biggest, longest worst seizure I've ever had. That's why, even if I WAS to go that long without a seizure again, I won't bother re-applying, I feel that it's NEVER going to be safe to drive. I live quite a way from my kids primary school, so I have to get the bus to get them there. It REALLY sucks standing in the pouring rain with 2 of my 3 kids waiting for a bus in the winter at a stop with no shelter. BUT it's for everyone's safety, not just mine, it's for the kid walking down the street that I could run over and kill if I had a seizure, it's for my children who would be in the back of my car, and it's for the family in the car in front if I have a seizure and run into them.....

Rae So So sorry to hear about your situation. Do you have friends that can help you out with the driving?? I know it really is hard to feel like you are loosing your independence. I know the justice system here in the states can be so unfair as well. Hang in there and get some legal advice or consult with another doctor maybe. I will wish on a star rose for you.:rose::

And Darceness is late to the party?

I feel you on this issue. Montreals weather is almost as unpredictable as Winterpegs. We have a better transit system from the sound of things but waiting for a bus that never shows in -" I don't wanna know what" weather really sucks. I never had a licenseto begin with so my loss isn't as big. The longest I went was 9 mths without a seizure. The sense of frustration, of starting over was almost unbearable. I have gotten use to asking for lifts over the years. Its easier than it first seems but it takes awhile to adjust.
On a bright note, you'll never get nominated as Canadas Worst Driver and no one asks you to be the Designated Driver :roflmao:
Hope that helps a little

Sorry about this Rae. Though most cities do have better public transportation than someone living in rural areas (we have nothing), with the weather you have, even the public transportation is not always an option.

I have went through a few stints of not driving. They are a real pain, though I understand why.

:agree: with you about others being allowed to drive, especially diabetis. As an EMT, I saw more than a few crashes caused by that.

:rock:Move to Ohio folks - here the license is up to the Doctor's discretion.:rock:

Back
Top Bottom