My License...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I was going to apply for a Court appointed special advocate for kids in the juvenile court. While reading the paper work today. you have to have a dl and proof of insurance. I found out it is partially so they can preform a background check. I am trying to talk myself into still riding my bike down there to talk to someone to see if they still want me, but it is very easy to just pass.

Hey C0urt - Does your state issue ID cards. Anyone in Ohio without a license can get an ID card that serves the same purpose as a driver's license when it comes to background checks and the such.

ahem......... I also have diabetes...........and

:agree: with you about others being allowed to drive, especially diabetis. As an EMT, I saw more than a few crashes caused by that.

:rock:Move to Ohio folks - here the license is up to the Doctor's discretion.:rock:

I have epilepsy with Type 1 diabetes, so I do understand what you're talking about. If a person's glucose falls rapidly, it can be like a seizure with no aura, sometimes there is no warning. That is why people with diabetes have to check their glucose levels numerous time throughout the day. If it falls too rapidly or goes below a certain level, it could cause a seizure for some.

Here in Colorado, the license is up to the doctor's discretion, also.

Hey C0urt - Does your state issue ID cards. Anyone in Ohio without a license can get an ID card that serves the same purpose as a driver's license when it comes to background checks and the such.

i have an idea card, and a very sexy passport.

I am still going to go.

Rae, I so understand the frustration of loosing your license. I lost mine for 9 months after a seizure while driving 4 years ago. I lived in a rural area in Michigan that didnt have very much accessible public transportation. My boyfriend at the time garbage picked, and fixed up a small motorized scooter that I used to get me to and from my college that was about 2 miles away from my house. It didnt really work all that well, but at least it allowed me to feel like I had a little bit of freedom. Since it was so small and only went about 15 miles per hour you didnt need a drivers license to operate it.

When I moved back to the Chicago area is when my trouble really started. There is absolutely NO decent public transportation in the suburbs. I can catch a bus to the train that will take me to the city, but I cant get a bus that will will get me anywhere near my work. I had to rely on friends and family to drive me everywhere. My 85 year old grandma drove me around most of the time since she didnt really have anything else to do in her days. It always bugged me that they allowed her to have her license but not me. She still has her license and as far as I am concerned she is a far greater danger on the roads that I was even when my seizures are not controlled.

I agree with you that there should be more things taken into consideration that simply having a seizure. I too have warning auras, and my seizures only come around my period if im going to have one.

My advice to you since you live in the great north tundra is get yourself a good pair of cross country skis to get you through the winter :)

keep on keepin on,
Amanda

Rae, I agree with Chris. You made some pretty salient points! Why are people with so many other problems, aillments allowed to drive. It seems like a political injustice.

By NY State law you're not allowed to drive for one year after an episode. Just when I thought my first year was up I had a seizure three months before freedom.

The public bus transporation out here is impossible so I was able to arrange for "special" transportation" where I grew tired of grown men pulling on my hair. But had to be grateful that I didn't have to take a cab to the bus out here in the Long Island boonies.

Being independent my entire life it was difficult to rely on my partner for transportation. I felt "less than." Angry at myself, though I knew this wasn't my fault. I HEAR you!

Aw man -- Winterpeg has got to be the worst place to be without a car. I feel for you :(

You do make a good point about all these other conditions not being restricted. When you think about it, it does seem unfair.

Rae I know how you feel...I live in Northern Ontario and am 8hrs from anywhere. And having epilepsy and a licence is hard. I lost mine on 2 occasions for a year, and one of the times I was going to the hospital because I wasn't feeling good, someone hit me, and of course when the ambulance got there they asked me if I had any medical conditions I said I had epilepsy, so when I got to the hospital the first thing the doctor says when she gets in: I have to report you to the Ministry of Transportation because of the accident. I didn't have a seizure, I was totally aware of things, I just looked rough because I was sick. 3-4 weeks later I got that letter saying that it's suspended for a year, and I can reapply after being one year seizure free with a physical from my Dr. So I guess if you have the flu and get into an accident you lose your licence too.

Ive run into many people with health conditions that drive and dont see them losing their licence. Same with the very old, most of the severe car crashes in this city in the last few yrs have been from ppl 70-80yrs old

I hear you.
Can you not fight that? i know on the back of my license suspension letter it says that I have the option to get a second opinion. plus you can fight that it was discrimination.

I got my first license at age 15 and had been independent until my first seizure in 2001, driving for 32 years. Loosing it then was crushing. Friday I got an invitation from the DMV to bring it in voluntarily before the 11th or it would be suspended. It's difficult to give it up again but I know I have to. This last seizure was sudden and no warning (thank you VNS for destroying my auras)

This is where you find out who is really part of your support system. Rae, it's hard, but we survive. We do what we have to do. Might scream, cry, rant and rave along the way.

hummingbirdhugs1.jpg

That's a bummer. It baffles me to see the wide variation of laws that prevent us from driving our cars.

I chose a home that was close to a lot of necessary business like a drug store, grocery store, convenience store (for major snow storms), banks, public transportation and a mall.

The US government encourages people now to exercise to stay in shape.

I saw an incredible scene this past week. One guy had a bike with a lot of gear on it. It had TWO huge backpacks hung over the front wheel and one backpack on his back. I suppose he was doing a major bike trip.

The titanium bikes are extremely expensive, but very lightweight and very fast. I bought bike clothing this past month and intend to ride more often. Obviously bad weather is something to avoid, but I've heard of putting cool objects in the backpacks and even small ones that have a straw for drinking on hot days. The bike clothing includes arm/leg warmers for winter riding.

I may get the arm warmers and build up some speed and exercise. People who do this need to always carry sugar packets and electrolytes.

This may sound outragious, but can you drive a snowmobile in extreme weather to work?

I hear you.
Can you not fight that? i know on the back of my license suspension letter it says that I have the option to get a second opinion. plus you can fight that it was discrimination.

Of course they give you the option to fight back and get a second opinion, but its probably in the 90% range you won't win. I had to get a physical from the doctor at a price of $160 I believe. Then he would have to send it with his results. My doctor believed that I didn't have a seizure while driving as Im very controlled with medication and I know how mine works, plus I see him regularly. Then I had to wait 5-8 weeks for my results (of course its always 8 weeks). Then I got my letter back saying that I was reviewed and failed. Did some fighting but in the end you might as well wait for the 12 months cause it will be faster that way. One good thing about losing your licence for health reasons is your insurance isn't affected :woot:

I know its hard. I have never been able to drive. The hardest time for me is when I had just had my baby and the doctors sent me home. My son was still in the Hospital but I could not get there. I was so sick. Yes they should of kept me in, but they didnt. Our car was not working. Nobody would take me to the hospital. I don't remember why, I just was not there with my sick baby.It sucks not to have your licsence but sometimes that is the way life is.It will give us crap and we just have to deal with it with love. Rae, you are a strong person and you can do this. I don't drive. I am single, both my son and I are "disabled" and we do it every day.Without even thinking about it anymore.NOt driving sucks, but its not the worst thing in the world.

They told Jennifer she could drive. SO off she goes, just back and forth to school. She is fine, but her driving days for now are so over. We don't know what happened, long story, but she woke up in the ER after running off the road and hitting a tree headon. The car was totaled and she got a few lumps and bumps. But the reality of possibly losing her or having her hurt someone else.. has made us totally change our minds.

I think driving very iffy as we know, E has no rhyme or reason..

I hope you all are well
joan*

Oh No!
Did she have a seizure? does she remember what happened?
Aw man, give her my best. lets hope that wasnt tonic clonic #2

She's fine, thank you. It happened mid January. But it was a scare like no other. I think I cried nonstop for 2 days just thinking about what could have happened.
We really dont know what happened. I'm sure its safe to "guess" it was a seizure. She wasn't eating or drinking enough on her diet and .. then this. Just odd that she normally only has myoclonics. Just proves to me more and more this diet more of a med. Shes back on her diet and doing fine. She scared us all and herself. I'm back to being taxi Mom.

I hope everyone doing well,
joan*

Oh no.
That is so scary to think of!
I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of you that her seizure pattern has not changed and is now including the dreaded tonic clonic.
Hugs to all of you!

I feel ya! I am also in the same boat. It sucks, but there is nothing i can do about it. I have learned that to hop a ride with family or friends when they are going into town because I live in the smack dab of nowhere and it takes 20 minutes to get anywhere. I feel like my independence is gone. I am sure you feel that way as well. I wish I could tell you that I have a secret,... but I don't. Are the laws different in each State when it comes to driving. Like here is Texas its 6 months seizure free. What about your laws?

that's sad, but here I am already 26 and still trying to get my license, not to mention I do have nocturnal seizures. Stupid idiots at the dmv has no idea what that means. My doctor is the best and he keeps telling me he doesn't know why those idiots keeps denying me. I've been seizure free for the last five years and it makes me so mad when I think about the unfairness of it all. I totally agree with you on all your points. Just keep hanging in there, it'll work out in the end, hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom