Biofeedback, Nutrition

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Here's hoping that NFB gets covered by more insurers in the US one of these days...

Darn if it can train astronauts not to seize when a rocket taking off, can we really deny its efficiency. No, I think not. Not for all for certainly for many.

Yes here’s hoping....no praying for better health care for all…if we could only change the world.

The cost of NFB therapy has just gone down in our neck of the woods, from 90/100 Euros to 45/60 Euros per session. Probably less tax...I will check into this.

Last edited:
Hi Chaz,

I am so glad that your son is making such great improvements. Pilates are not for women only. They are for anyone who wants to improve their health.

Too much medication can cause problems. I found this out last month. I feel down and hit our marble table. I was bleeding all over from the back of my head. Hubby called 911 and they took care of me. They put sutures in the back of my head. An RN told me how to wash my hair and how to take care of it.

About a week later, I had all of the symptoms of a stroke. This time, I was taken for a CTscan first and then the ER. It turned out that I did not have a stroke. They put me in ICU this time to find out what was going on. My doctor was very thourhow.

It turned out that I was on too much medication. They cut my medication back drastically. I feel a whole lot better now.

But, never, cut back medications on your own. Be sure and have a doctor do it, and do it slowly.

Hello Ruth,

Oh I am so so sorry to hear that, and you really hurt yourself :(

"They cut my medication back drastically. I feel a whole lot better now." Well, this is simply wonderful news, they over medicated you :(. Out of the negative comes the positive..

Wow, it will be interesting to see how you are feeling as time passes by without you being medicated up to the hilt.

Totally agree, no changing or messing with meds unless under medical supervision.

Little update from our side. Hmm, long as usual…

My Son has an appointment to see an epitologist May 3rd!! Hooray!!! He delighted - me over the moon.

3 week today T/C free, another hooray! Other than a few twitches he has felt no seizures (that he is aware of, he can have many simple partials).

Not forgetting in all this he had a med increase (fog getting thicker) and he still broke through with T/C’s despite med increase but things seem to have settled a little.

He is learning to tone it ALL down a little, the hyper alertness (seen as both a gift and same time curse). Looks like NFB- therapy is really helping him there, both he and his therapist can’t wait to see his next EEG results (mega curiosity), not there yet still busy with his weekly sessions. I sat with him for good hour and a half yesterday and noticed no fidgeting, a 1st and he is 26, seriously.

At his current weekend job, he never takes a break and instead will continue with admin side at lunch, but he decided he will take his break and eat his food at the window and watch the world go by i.e. relaxing something he normally only knows when lying in bed..Halajuha.

And to top it off, was under emotional stress (relationship stress normally = T/C seizure) yet he still managed an addational job interview (starts his apprenticeship August) and what do you know, he landed the job and managed all that seizure free.

He was honest about E with the guy who interviewed him and the guy said oh no, T/C are real scary..My Son explained to him what a seizure really is and this lovely gentleman said OK and they moved on and he hired him, gotta love this dude..

He still to tick the pilates box, but time is not on his side but its on the near horizon :)

We will sit back and enjoy all of the above today, for today we have.

I am glad that things are going well for you and your son.

It is great that he got a job. Work is hard to come by nowadays.

Looks like NFB- therapy is really helping him there, both he and his therapist can’t wait to see his next EEG results (mega curiosity)

Me too! I'm curious if the EEG will register the changes.

T/C this morning, I am almost left wondering if I curse my poor boy by sharing good news.

He stayed up later than normal and watched exciting movie and drank too much tea (he admits) and finished that off with some music he loves before heading to bed, maybe pushed his threshold a bit too far.

T/C clocked in at 2.5-3 min (they are consistenly shorter than they used to be) and again mega quick recovery and no bitten tongue this time, a 1st .He said he had minimal muscle ache and his body felt like it does normally a few days after a T/C…maybe the muscle pain creeps in later.

Well, I hate E and what is does to my boy! But we going to get through/past this…I am researching breathing techniques (Buteyko) and will talk to his new epitologist when we get there in May about his sleeping and breathing patterns. I always feel the need to have a pocket full of hope available, that’s why I always research, so I can at the very least say, let’s try this Son, there is always hope.

So we reset the clock and move forward….albeit with a heavy heart, some fears and tears. We going to get there…another new beginning.

Yes, stay hopeful! The overall improvement in his quality of life is worth noting too.

it sure is Nakamova. Thank you....I can use all the reminders there is so stay hopefull :)

I am a little amazed at recovery of T/C yesterday, sprung back positive, very.

He reminded me today that keeping an agenda up to date (had to get used to this) is helping keep him organized i.e. black and white reminders. It’s kept open on table now and partner (she rocks) also adds her agenda then he does not have to ask 20 times... He said it’s making a positive difference :) and once learned this is mega useful (good notes) out in the work place.

Epitologist has sent forms for check in :). Bring it on.

A little update...

After his neurofeedback / therapy session today his therapist said to my Son. Do you see how calm you are? Therapist said he has slowed down and was not tripping over his words to express himself, in fact was composed and the fidgeting going down and down.

Today was music neurofeedback session and my Son has been topping the charts at 10 (active brain activity) and today he was at an all time low of 5 = much better control.

He insists that after seizure the recovery period is NOTHING compared to what it used to be, feels his brain putting it all back into place fast.

Nakamova, you said words that I will never forget 'improving the quality of his life “and you could not be more right. Listening to him today a happy and positive young man is back despite this E rollercoaster. So we will never stop looking to improve the quality of life albeit small steps with continued hope, searching and trying hopeful safe alternatives, for now together with the meds.

Today was music neurofeedback session and my Son has been topping the charts at 10 (active brain activity) and today he was at an all time low of 5 = much better control.
So impressive! Especially since he is able to feel the change that his brain is undergoing.

After his neurofeedback / therapy session today his therapist said to my Son. Do you see how calm you are? Therapist said he has slowed down and was not tripping over his words to express himself, in fact was composed and the fidgeting going down and down.

I think that was an excellent idea to make sure your son sees the differences in himself.

My Son goes for 1st appointment with epitologist tomorrow, I will join with a book of notes if called upon :)

Can’t wait and praying for seriously pro active approach...

Thank u so much Nakamova.

And he pointed out again today the power/benefit he feeling of Biofeedback/NFB in calming him. I said I’d pick him up tomorrow then I would freak out about how to drive there and he said, Mum don’t worry about me, I’ll be the relaxed passenger because Biofeedback/NFB is helping me get there, how I dont know but these are his words..how’s that for a bit of positive feedback from my boy :)

That's so great! The biofeedback is clearly making a difference... Maybe you should give it a try Chaz1!

Back
Top Bottom