Fasting For Health

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

AlohaBird

New
Reaction score
Hi All,

Yes, I'm seriously considering doing some extended fasting. 7-10 days.

There is a long history of fasting being an effective treatment for seizures. This goes back to Hippocrates and is even mentioned in the Bible.

First of all, for me, this is not about losing weight (although that would be a nice side benefit), this is more about doing some internal "housekeeping". I have recently come off of one of my two meds, Valproic Acid, but I was on it for a lot of years. I feel like fasting might be helpful in cleaning out any leftover gunk in the body's nooks and crannies.

Also I'm not thinking about one of those extreme fasts without even any water. That is just plain stupid. I'm also not going to go to the extreme of zero calories.
I'm thinking of including noni juice, a splash of coconut cream in my tea, and maybe some coconut water along with my supplements. I also like a splash of lemon juice in my Pelegrino mineral water. Perhaps even some clear broth.

I think a lot of the problems people have with fasting are due to their electrolytes getting out of whack. Fasting forces your body to transition to ketosis and this can be rough for some but I live in ketosis more or less permanently so I think I wouldn't have these ill effects.

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f39/back-keto-bandwagon-life-25183/

People who definitely shouldn't fast are those who are already skinny or have any kind of eating disorder like anorexia/ bulimia or those who are still growing or are pregnant. None of those apply to me. Other than my very well controlled seizure disorder, I'm really quite healthy. I am carrying some extra weight but I am nowhere near diabetes. Been tested for that and all the other stuff like BP and heart issues.

So, feedback? Anybody tried it? Got any resources I should read? Am I crazy?

Sock it to me....

Hi All,

Yes, I'm seriously considering doing some extended fasting. 7-10 days.

There is a long history of fasting being an effective treatment for seizures. This goes back to Hippocrates and is even mentioned in the Bible.

First of all, for me, this is not about losing weight (although that would be a nice side benefit), this is more about doing some internal "housekeeping". I have recently come off of one of my two meds, Valproic Acid, but I was on it for a lot of years. I feel like fasting might be helpful in cleaning out any leftover gunk in the body's nooks and crannies.

Also I'm not thinking about one of those extreme fasts without even any water. That is just plain stupid. I'm also not going to go to the extreme of zero calories.
I'm thinking of including noni juice, a splash of coconut cream in my tea, and maybe some coconut water along with my supplements. I also like a splash of lemon juice in my Pelegrino mineral water. Perhaps even some clear broth.

I think a lot of the problems people have with fasting are due to their electrolytes getting out of whack. Fasting forces your body to transition to ketosis and this can be rough for some but I live in ketosis more or less permanently so I think I wouldn't have these ill effects.

http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f39/back-keto-bandwagon-life-25183/

People who definitely shouldn't fast are those who are already skinny or have any kind of eating disorder like anorexia/ bulimia or those who are still growing or are pregnant. None of those apply to me. Other than my very well controlled seizure disorder, I'm really quite healthy. I am carrying some extra weight but I am nowhere near diabetes. Been tested for that and all the other stuff like BP and heart issues.

So, feedback? Anybody tried it? Got any resources I should read? Am I crazy?

Sock it to me....

There are other reasons to not fast. For those with some genetic conditions, such as most mitochondrial diseases and inborn errors of metabolism (GLUT1 deficiency syndrome, an IEM also known to be associated with epilepsy) fasting can be deleterious to health and even fatal.

Blimmy you going feel like sh1t.You only need do it for 24 hours even Ramadan they still eat.
You going have mucked up sugar levels Keaton's that not good...
Think horse bolted people with anorexia fasting.You are fasting because you want control and you think it empowering that one reasons bulimic it.
Ok Jesus did it but with all honesty are you Jesus and he hallucinationed thinking he talking to devil and God?
I seen people who gone without food for over 5 days and they don't look so good plus you just contradicted yourself you feel healthy of course you do you eating.
24hours is good once every two weeks but what you doing some may even say foolish I not say it though.
You always give sound intelligent advice and I take heed of it like coconut water and magnesium I using that now.and feeling benefits now listen to us what you intend to do is dangerous.
There was woman who did that here reasoned all she needed was light she lived 2years fasting like that every month.
You only need 24 hours tops 48.i would not do that or advice it.
I shoot from the hip

I feel like fasting might be helpful in cleaning out any leftover gunk in the body's nooks and crannies.
Hmm, I usually just take a shower for that. :)

Not sure of the fasting/gunk removal connection, but there are ways intermittent fasting can potentially benefit some folks. I recommend that you check out the series on PBS by Michael Mosley: http://www.pbs.org/program/michael-mosley/ before going forward. Like you, Michael Mosley likes to conduct "experiments on himself to improve his health and discover how the human body works."

While you may feel fine during and after a 7 day partial fast, I think that you should consider the 5/2 or 4/3 approach (5 or 4 days normal eating alternated with 2 or 3 days of calorie restriction). It might do the trick for you with fewer risks and/or discomfort along the way. Low blood sugar has occasionally been a seizure trigger for me in the past, and I've found that the 5/2 approach has been effective and safe when I want to lose a few pounds or inches. Everyone is different however, and it's important to go carefully if you're not sure how you'll react.

There are other reasons to not fast. For those with some genetic conditions, such as most mitochondrial diseases and inborn errors of metabolism (GLUT1 deficiency syndrome, an IEM also known to be associated with epilepsy) fasting can be deleterious to health and even fatal.

And those with Type 1 Diabetes (me) should not fast.

I totally disagree what doing but as they I fight for right to do it

Very true but I don't have that.

You going have mucked up sugar levels Keaton's that not good...
Think horse bolted people with anorexia fasting.You are fasting because you want control and you think it empowering that one reasons bulimic it.

24hours is good once every two weeks but what you doing some may even say foolish I not say it though.
You always give sound intelligent advice and I take heed of it like coconut water and magnesium I using that now.and feeling benefits now listen to us what you intend to do is dangerous.
You only need 24 hours tops 48.i would not do that or advice it.
I shoot from the hip
Well, mucked up sugar levels do happen in people who run on a sugar metabolism who stop eating suddenly, I agree. But I run on ketones most of the time.
A little while back I was on this board talking someone out of doing fasting because she was doing it for weight loss when (from her picture at least) she looked like a rather slim young girl. That's not me either. Also if I were really feeling horrible, I would be sensible enough to stop. I wouldn't "tough it out" for 7-10 days just because I had set that goal.

Not sure of the fasting/gunk removal connection, but there are ways intermittent fasting can potentially benefit some folks. I recommend that you check out the series on PBS by Michael Mosley: http://www.pbs.org/program/michael-mosley/ before going forward. Like you, Michael Mosley likes to conduct "experiments on himself to improve his health and discover how the human body works."

While you may feel fine during and after a 7 day partial fast, I think that you should consider the 5/2 or 4/3 approach (5 or 4 days normal eating alternated with 2 or 3 days of calorie restriction). It might do the trick for you with fewer risks and/or discomfort along the way. Low blood sugar has occasionally been a seizure trigger for me in the past, and I've found that the 5/2 approach has been effective and safe when I want to lose a few pounds or inches. Everyone is different however, and it's important to go carefully if you're not sure how you'll react.
Oh yes, I am a big fan of intermittent fasting and already do that often. It's been popular in the paleo/primal eating community for years. Another IF strategy is the "eating window". There are lots of variations but it is a daily routine where you compress all your eating into a certain time period. Some people do 14:10, or 16:8, fed:unfed). I normally do about 20:4 with my eating between 5pm-9pm.

About the gunk removal. I am normally leery of anything that labels itself as a "detox". (all kinds of silly things out there from teas to lemon juice and cayenne pepper concoctions) Normally the body does a fine job of removing toxins on its own as long as we stop overloading it with toxic stuff from the front end.
But the body does store toxins including medications in fat cells. I am hoping to do a little housecleaning on any leftover valproate that might be tucked away there.
And those with Type 1 Diabetes (me) should not fast.
Most definitely not.

I totally disagree what doing but as they I fight for right to do it
Thank you for being concerned about me, Seagull. I really appreciate it. :)

I thought you meant going do colonic wash outs and that not right rubber tube up the Arse.i still disagree with time length you giving yourself at least have some protine shakes.running on Keaton's not cool thing to do

I thought you meant going do colonic wash outs and that not right rubber tube up the Arse.i still disagree with time length you giving yourself at least have some protine shakes.running on Keaton's not cool thing to do
No, no, no. Not doing anything that involves rubber tubes. Ew. The time length is approximate. I would take it as it goes and stop if I'm not feeling right. I might use some bone broth for protein.

Running on ketones is not harmful to the body at all. Have you read any of the John's Hopkins research on ketogenic diets for epilepsy?

No but I seen results in hospital of those that do and I going to funeral of a man that did soon.You take a care now.ew bone broth

When I make bone broth it is delicious. It's all in the spices.

Nobody ever died from being in ketosis. Ketoacidosis is a whole different thing and is the reason why diabetics should not be fasting.

The human body is in ketosis the whole time it is being breast fed. Breast milk is the ultimate ketogenic diet food. You are also in a mild state of ketosis every morning when you wake up.

The healthy human metabolism can switch back and forth between the two sources of fuel, glucose and ketones. The problem with modern diets is that they are so heavy on the glucose (sugar plus grain products) that the body develops what is called insulin resistance. The normal signaling mechanism is broken. This is what leads to diabetes.

When people who are used to a high glucose diet try to switch over to ketosis, they often go though a period of feeling crappy known as the low carb flu. It passes in a couple of days and then when you get to ketosis it is a rush like you wouldn't believe. It's like running on rocket fuel.

Do it that intresting.not sure I could do it.low sugar makes e worse get awful migraine weak faint.The rush sounds intresting.i was very ill once did not eat for two weeks or drink I had drip.When I had first bit of food I did not get rush only relief.I got hiatus and if I don't have something to eat the hiatus hernia cause all sorts of thing reflux of acid I don't think I could do it..I have been thinking of 24 hour one so clean my liver give it a rest..if you had glass of milk would that break the fast..was thinking 24 just coconut water

People who have blood sugar regulation issues (even if they are not full blown diabetic) would have a rough time fasting for very long. It would be better to get the metabolism healed first by eating lower carb for a while, then try fasting.

Very glad to hear you don't have anything like this. The genetic testing for these conditions can be very expensive. Where in the States did you go for this?

Very glad to hear you don't have anything like this. The genetic testing for these conditions can be very expensive. Where in the States did you go for this?
http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/glut1-deficiency-syndrome

According to the above, there have only been 500 cases of this identified worldwide, ever.

Also from the above:
" These individuals generally have frequent seizures (epilepsy) beginning in the first months of life. In newborns, the first sign of the disorder may be involuntary eye movements that are rapid and irregular. Babies with common GLUT1 deficiency syndrome have a normal head size at birth, but growth of the brain and skull is often slow, which can result in an abnormally small head size (microcephaly). People with GLUT1 deficiency syndrome may have developmental delay or intellectual disability. Most affected individuals also have other neurological problems, such as stiffness caused by abnormal tensing of the muscles (spasticity), difficulty in coordinating movements (ataxia), and speech difficulties (dysarthria). Some experience episodes of confusion, lack of energy (lethargy), headaches, or muscle twitches (myoclonus), particularly during periods without food (fasting)."

My seizures didn't start until I was 22 and none of the rest applies to me.

So, no, I haven't had an expensive test done to confirm that I don't have an *extremely rare* genetic disorder the symptoms of which don't correlate with my health conditions.

If you will note, GLUT1 deficiency syndrome is only an example of many of the inborn errors of metabolism known to be associated with epilepsy as I'm sure you have read when you looked up GLUT1 deficiency. And of course there is the whole issue of mitochondrial disease. Many types of IEMs and/or mito. disease can show up at any time in life. I am living proof of this.

OK. But are you saying that a person should get tested for every possible rare genetic anomaly even when they have no symptoms before even considering fasting?

That seems a little extreme to me.

I'm pretty sure I don't have Huntington's Disease either although I haven't been tested.

The choice is always up to the individual what they do or not do when it comes to health. And in regards to this: honestly, why do you care what others think. You are a wise and independent person who will do what she chooses regardless. You seem in the arguing mood rather than respecting what I am saying as general information not only to you but to anyone who may be reading this thread. For this reason I will stop participating in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom