Fasting For Health

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

And it's good information you are giving. But what I don't want is for someone reading this thread to be scared off from even considering fasting by taking it out of context.

Yes, if you have a particular genetic anomaly, fasting probably isn't for you. But those anomalies are incredibly rare and, if you did have one, you would most likely know that by now.

No need to get huffy. :shake:

All the best AB

I know you would be careful to not compromise your health and you are not seeking validation.

People who have blood sugar regulation issues (even if they are not full blown diabetic) would have a rough time fasting for very long.

:agree:

AlohaBird said:
It would be better to get the metabolism healed first by eating lower carb for a while, then try fasting.

Being Diabetic myself, I'd say it would be better to stay on a low carb diet, don't fast. Even if a person has only periodic low blood sugar, fasting could become problematic. It can bring on seizures.

fasting when you have a seizure disorder is a bad idea it can cause seizures.

At least have some complan at some point.As I said I disagree with length of time 24hours good once a month but that all.What if you have to make decisions during that period do you think you be making right ones be your body be focus on needing food.
No you definatly not got Huntington.
Well as I said I disagree with you but I fight for you have the right to do it.
If you know about ketones rush then you done something like this before

All the best AB. I know you would be careful to not compromise your health and you are not seeking validation.
Thanks, Angel. :) No, not looking for validation. I was hoping for some other people's experiences though.

Being Diabetic myself, I'd say it would be better to stay on a low carb diet, don't fast. Even if a person has only periodic low blood sugar, fasting could become problematic. It can bring on seizures.
I totally agree if you are still diabetic. Some cases of diabetes can be completely and permanently reversed. I suppose it depends on how long the diabetes has gone on and how much damage has been done to the metabolic functions.

fasting when you have a seizure disorder is a bad idea it can cause seizures.
This is the standard "party line" of most MDs. If you have blood sugar regulation issues then it is very right. If you have a healthy metabolism, one that can switch over to burning ketones, then it's not.

At least have some complan at some point.As I said I disagree with length of time 24hours good once a month but that all.What if you have to make decisions during that period do you think you be making right ones be your body be focus on needing food.

Well as I said I disagree with you but I fight for you have the right to do it.
If you know about ketones rush then you done something like this before
Well, I pretty much live in ketosis all the time so I know it is not harmful. In fact it helps with my seizure control. I can keep the same level of control with less medication when I stay in ketosis.

Fasting for longer periods is just taking that benefit that ketosis brings and pushing it a little further.
If I'm not feeling well however, at any point, I would not be too stubborn to listen to my body and call a halt to the fast. That is an important point.

I thought ketosis was when body start metoblising the muscles one of reason breath smells of ketones.

AlohaBird....I have been doing the protein shake diet for two weeks now...I know that's really not the same as fasting, but I had gained about 20 pounds over the winter because we haven't been as active in working as usual, and I can't stand it...so, Monday thru Friday, I drink a protein shake blended with a banana in it, for breakfast, another one for lunch with a few carrot sticks, and then eat a sensible dinner at night...on the weekends I eat sensibly, and do the protein shakes for breakfast only...so far lost 8 pounds in two weeks...worked out about 4 nights a week....never once felt weak, or light headed...etc...feels good...building muscle, getting stronger....I don't know how long I will do this...just wanted to lose about 20 pounds...so we will see...lol...best of luck to you...

I thought ketosis was when body start metoblising the muscles one of reason breath smells of ketones.

For someone with diabetes, this is how ketosis is defined. For someone who is healthy and eating a healthy diet, ketones aren't really that big of a concern. It's when a person cuts way down on calories AND carbs that one's body switches to ketosis for energy. That is VERY dangerous for someone like me.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/type-1-diabetes-guide/what-is-ketosis

"Ketosis" is a word you'll probably see when you're looking for information on diabetes or weight loss. Is it a good thing or a bad thing? That depends.

Ketosis is a normal metabolic process, something your body does to keep working. When it doesn't have enough carbohydrates from food for your cells to burn for energy, it burns fat instead. As part of this process, it makes ketones.

If you're healthy and eating a balanced diet, your body controls how much fat it burns, and you don't normally make or use ketones. But when you cut way back on your calories or carbs, your body will switch to ketosis for energy. It can also happen after exercising for a long time and during pregnancy. For people with uncontrolled diabetes, ketosis is a sign of not using enough insulin.

Ketosis can become dangerous when ketones build up. High levels lead to dehydration and change the chemical balance of your blood.

That the point cint she not going be on healthy diet or even unhealthy one.
I do understand weight loss but diet like that not going pound the pounds end up putting them back.I 5ft 4inches weigh 10stone I could do with losing some weight going on fruit veggi diet get my nutro blast out start using it.24hours fast enough for me I get splitting head ache which I find delberbating

No, it is when you are burning your extra fat stores for energy. The funky metallic breath does sometimes happen as you transition into ketosis but it goes away. That is also the reason for "morning breath". You have been fasting during the night.

AlohaBird....I have been doing the protein shake diet for two weeks now...I know that's really not the same as fasting, but I had gained about 20 pounds over the winter because we haven't been as active in working as usual, and I can't stand it...so, Monday thru Friday, I drink a protein shake blended with a banana in it, for breakfast, another one for lunch with a few carrot sticks, and then eat a sensible dinner at night...on the weekends I eat sensibly, and do the protein shakes for breakfast only...so far lost 8 pounds in two weeks...worked out about 4 nights a week....never once felt weak, or light headed...etc...feels good...building muscle, getting stronger....I don't know how long I will do this...just wanted to lose about 20 pounds...so we will see...lol...best of luck to you...
A lot of people don't enough protein in their diets and shakes are one way to supplement that. There was some good information on this thread about how to choose a high quality protein shake and avoid some things that could be dangerous for people with e.
http://www.coping-with-epilepsy.com/forums/f23/complex-partial-seizures-protein-shake-26058/

For someone with diabetes, this is how ketosis is defined. For someone who is healthy and eating a healthy diet, ketones aren't really that big of a concern. It's when a person cuts way down on calories AND carbs that one's body switches to ketosis for energy. That is VERY dangerous for someone like me.
It's actually cutting calories OR carbs that will induce ketosis. It is definitely not a good idea for anyone with diabetes to take either or both to an extreme.

That the point cint she not going be on healthy diet or even unhealthy one.
I do understand weight loss but diet like that not going pound the pounds end up putting them back.I 5ft 4inches weigh 10stone I could do with losing some weight going on fruit veggi diet get my nutro blast out start using it.24hours fast enough for me I get splitting head ache which I find delberbating
If I lose some weight that's cool but it's not the reason why I'm considering this.

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/glut1-deficiency-syndrome

According to the above, there have only been 500 cases of this identified worldwide, ever.

Also from the above:
" These individuals generally have frequent seizures (epilepsy) beginning in the first months of life. In newborns, the first sign of the disorder may be involuntary eye movements that are rapid and irregular. Babies with common GLUT1 deficiency syndrome have a normal head size at birth, but growth of the brain and skull is often slow, which can result in an abnormally small head size (microcephaly). People with GLUT1 deficiency syndrome may have developmental delay or intellectual disability. Most affected individuals also have other neurological problems, such as stiffness caused by abnormal tensing of the muscles (spasticity), difficulty in coordinating movements (ataxia), and speech difficulties (dysarthria). Some experience episodes of confusion, lack of energy (lethargy), headaches, or muscle twitches (myoclonus), particularly during periods without food (fasting)."

My seizures didn't start until I was 22 and none of the rest applies to me.

So, no, I haven't had an expensive test done to confirm that I don't have an *extremely rare* genetic disorder the symptoms of which don't correlate with my health conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom