How do you dream?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Not that I have E, but still, my dreams confuse and delight me most of the time.

1) do you dream in colour or black and white or sepia?Usually colour, but rarely in vivid colour. It's usually dark, with watercolourish tints -- like how a lot of graphic novels look these days. I guess I enjoy spooky things even when I'm not conscious.

2) are you a spectator (you watch yourself do things) or are you viewing as yourself (seen through your eyes)? I'm an avid particpator. The only spectator type dream I've had was one where I dreamt I had a split consciousness out-of-body experience. I watched a little ball of golden light that I somehow knew was me hang out at the bottom of the stairs with a little ball of blue light that was supposed to be somebody else. The next morning another person in the house talked about dreaming about an out-of-body experience where he was standing with someone at the bottom of the stairs. Too weird.
[EDIT: I just remembered two dreams I had in a row about a month ago, where I was a spectator and participant -- one moment I was watching myself, and the next I was seeing through my eyes, then back again. They were spooky dreams too. Heh. So maybe I spectate more than I thought?]

3) do you ever know that your dreaming (lucid dreaming)? Sometimes I'm aware that I'm dreaming, but I don't seem to have any measure of control over them. They go where they go and I follow, mostly because I'm curious to see where they will lead.

4) types of dreams that annoy you. (ie: dreaming you got up for work, came home went to bed, then actually woke up and thought you already did what you dreamed) Dreaming that I am at work annoys me. It feels like the comany is stealing my sleep from me :lol:

Last edited:
Here are my all-too-blunt answers

1) do you dream in colour or black and white or sepia?

Colour

2) are you a spectator (you watch yourself do things) or are you viewing as yourself (seen through your eyes)?

Both

3) do you ever know that your dreaming (lucid dreaming)?

This happens a lot, especially when I have to take my naps

4) types of dreams that annoy you. (ie: dreaming you got up for work, came home went to bed, then actually woke up and thought you already did what you dreamed)

I always have dreams where I meet someone famous, and then I wake up (in real life) and hurry to go on the forums to tell people my experience. It all seems so real. Once I believed/dreamed Michael Jackson came to our house to use the bathroom -_-

Other:

After I have a seizure I always end up dreaming about kids being annoyed with me. And I believe it until I do a face palm and realize it was just a dream. But I BELIEVE it.

I wont copy and paste the questions...my answer is "all of the above". I'm actually glad I don't dream so much anymore...my dreams can wear me out.

In full living color.
2) are you a spectator (you watch yourself do things) or are you viewing as yourself (seen through your eyes)?
Both
Only when I wake up
4) types of dreams that annoy you. (ie: dreaming you got up for work, came home went to bed, then actually woke up and thought you already did what you dreamed)
Unresolved conflicts, it's like leaving in the middle of a movie and never knowing the ending
5) this one is just out of curiosity and Cinnabar mentioned it in the AURA poll, do you ever dream you are having a seizure? of any sort? *this goes for people who dont have E too, but they live with someone who does*
Yes I think I have.

The combination of dilantin and morphine have created very vivid and strange dreams. I don't recall them when I first wake up but about 6 in the evening, I start getting flashes of the dream. This is unsettling because I can never remember the whole dream, only tiny snatches of it.

1) do you dream in colour or black and white or sepia? Full technicolour :p

Both

Most of the time. Sometimes not. Unless i'm dreaming about everyday stuff, it's like a movie in my head where i'm the main character or something. I just sit and enjoy it. Mostly.

I hate the dreams where it's about normal everyday completely plausible stuff, cos i wake up and then i have to check if it's real or i dreamt it.

5) this one is just out of curiosity and Cinnabar mentioned it in the AURA poll, do you ever dream you are having a seizure? of any sort? *this goes for people who dont have E too, but they live with someone who does*
Somewhat increasingly lately. I suppose it's because it generally plays on my mind a lot.

Things are never as they seem for this is just a dream within a dream...EA Poe

*one of my favorite quotes....

I dream in colour

I am a spectator I watch myself do things

sometimes I know I am dreaming but sometimes I don't know till I wake up

boring dreams or dreams I can't remember

I dream I have seizure I am lying on the ground and everyone is just staring at me

I personally miss dreaming, I mean I probably do dream but I don't remember them. Ever since stopping the denial about being abused I started having horrible nightmares. Now I do everything I can not to remember my dreams. I used to have vidid dreams about being in the outdoors on family trips before that though.

John

I've always dreamed like crazey. Still do. Mostly when a lot is happening. Sometimes I wake up and feel like I'm floating on the bed. And when I wake up I drop back on the bed. I started doing that after I started meditating. Does anybody else do that?

Since I started on the Trileptal, I have tons of REM sleep. Very vivid dreams. When I wake up I have to take a minute to think whether it was a dream or whether it really happened. They also seem less random, and more like taking real life in a strange direction and working out the short circuits in my brain. Very weird.

I do that to Endless. Or breathing under water. You know, just making it. Or when I feel really good I have dreams I'm flying. I love those dreams.

1) I always dream in color

2) I am usually always vewing as myself in the dreams

3) I usually know that I am dreaming, but there have been times where I don't.
These ones are when I am being attacked by things. I have alot of these types. I'll wake up and then realize I was dreaming and the animal or what ever wasn't there trying to get me.
Also never come close to me and try to wake me up, I'll punch you. I can't tell you how many times I've done this to someone. Everyone knows to make noise to wake me up and stay far away.

4) I don't know if you want to say that these dreams annoy me but I am constantly dreaming that I am still in high school or working at one of the most favorite jobs that I had worked. When I wake up I realize that it was a dream and I wasn't there doing what ever.
I get mad espically when it's about the job because I can't work now and know that I'd never beable to go back there and do anything!!!

5) Never have I had a dream about having a sez

I have had dreams too where I know who the person is in the dream (as I said above about high school or the job) but the person in the dream doesn't look like him or her, but I still know who they are.

i dream in color
i usually see things through my own eyes
sometimes i know i'm dreaming, other times not
i have had this recurring dream since childhood where i fall off a skyscraper and when i hit the concrete at full force it hurts and i feel myself being pulled back up to the top and it repeats a few times. i hate that dream. i also hate dreams where you can hear the outside world (like the tv or something) and it gets into your dreams. it's weird when you reenact an entire episode of drake & josh in your dream.
yes i have dreamed of seizures a few times

I have dreams that I'm having seizures sometimes. I hate them. My Dr. said I am having a nocturnal seizure. When I wake up I feel sick and I feel exhausted.

Dreams, what an interesting subject:
I would say that its a toss up (50/50) between Color and black and white.
2) are you a spectator (you watch yourself do things) or are you viewing as yourself (seen through your eyes)? - I always view "as myself."
3) do you ever know that your dreaming (lucid dreaming)? In my dreams it seems real and I can't really remember any time of knowing I was dreaming.
4) types of dreams that annoy you. (ie: dreaming you got up for work, came home went to bed, then actually woke up and thought you already did what you dreamed) - The ones that annoy me the most, and I seem to have more often than not, are the ones that make no sense at all. The night before my first seizure I had such a vivid dream of being along a coast at night in an old house (and even thought I was in the 17th or 18yh century) with the water from the ocean pounding against the house, which was completely dark. The street lights were gas and the wind was picking up. The water was getting rougher and rougher as I walked through the house, (not sure if it was mine or someone elses). The house did have the appearance of a victorian mansion though. As I was looking out through the bay window over the ocean a killer whale came crashing through the window into the living room which woke me up. Most of my dreams tend to be nightmares. Is that common?
Neil
(PS, that was about 8 years ago and it is still vivid in my mind (whats left of it anyway).

Back
Top Bottom