How do you dream?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I dream in 3d. My more lucid dreams, depending on when I have them, they affect what I am doing in the real world.

I don't know if I talk in my sleep. but if I am having an exciting dream. I may act out, and that might end up waking up.

this morning my dream was I got jumped and help down by a bunch of guys for something I did. The moment I broke free there was a massive dose of adrenaline as a made it to my feet and was about to enjoy myself. I woke up as I was getting my feet under me. There was a massive adrenaline rush, it took a bit for me to calm down. Good thing is, I was in a great mood that morning and had no problem waking up.

I used to wrestle. Once I had a dream in which I was wrestling. I was about to do a single leg take down. And once I did the take down, I ran head first into a wood headboard. Thankfully it wasn't my window I guess. But my head did hurt for a bit.

cant help but laugh about it sometimes.

Good topic, I like this question!

1) All the dreams that are remembered have been in colour.

2) It varies from dream to dream really.

3) Well as a child until I was about 11 I controlled all my dreams, every night, it was really cool like I could started a dream one night then continue it over the next three nights if it was a good one. Now that does not happen as often unfortunately. I used to have dreams that seemed to last for years, like once I went from being 16 in the dream, to graduating university with a degree in psychology, marrying a dentist, having 2 sons, then on my youngest sons 8th birthday I woke up, really weird.

4) I hate the dreams where I am just kind of watching over an event and no matter how much I try to stop it, or get people’s attention no one can see or hear me.

5) Well I still have nightmares of the seizures I used to have when I was younger, they are horrid.

1) do you dream in colour or black and white or sepia?
I dream in color
2) are you a spectator (you watch yourself do things) or are you viewing as yourself (seen through your eyes)?
I view as myself, through my eyes
3) do you ever know that your dreaming (lucid dreaming)?
Yes, quite often but not always
4) types of dreams that annoy you. (ie: dreaming you got up for work, came home went to bed, then actually woke up and thought you already did what you dreamed)
Not in the sense that you are speaking, but dreams in which we have a baby or something along those lines annoy me b/c we can't have any more children.
5) this one is just out of curiosity and Cinnabar mentioned it in the AURA poll, do you ever dream you are having a seizure? of any sort? *this goes for people who dont have E too, but they live with someone who does*
I don't think I ever have

1) I always dream in color.
2) I view things through my own eyes
3) Unfortunatly no.
4) I have had very real dreams about work. I've had nightmares about driving to the point that I take public transportation to work the next day.
5) Yes I have dreamed that I have had a seizure and I wake up exhausted.

Since my meds have been switched, my dreaming patterns have changed significantly... Always in color, always seeing things from my eyes. Most are very vivid and almost always include some sort of physical exertion (running, jumping, climbing, swimming). I wake up sore, like I have actually been doing these things! Has anyone else experienced this, and do you think this could be nocturnal seizures?? Since it seems as though I am stuck in REM sleep all night.... :ponder:

I am watching myself, I also dream a whole lot more. Mostly about awkward situations. lol :rock:

hmm... i am not sure.

2) are you a spectator (you watch yourself do things) or are you viewing as yourself?
viewing as myself.

that has happened a couple of times.

4) types of dreams that annoy you.
any dreams where a family member is hurt, injured or dead. years ago when were were expecting and waiting for our first child to be born, probably towards the last couple of weeks before the birth, i remember having strange nightmare dreams of cesarium's and bad births and abnormal children. very freaky. still freaks me out. touch wood, the birth went well, everything is normal and children healthy.

5) do you ever dream you are having a seizure?
i am not sure about that one either.

I dream in color, I don't remember ever dreaming in black and white or in sepia.
2) are you a spectator (you watch yourself do things) or are you viewing as yourself (seen through your eyes)?
I only view things through my own eyes, or I'll be someone else seeing things "through my own eyes".
I've had a couple dreams where in the middle I stop and say (out loud in the dream) something like "Hey, this isn't real, I'm dreaming", but dreams where I can actually control what's going on are rare.
4) types of dreams that annoy you. (ie: dreaming you got up for work, came home went to bed, then actually woke up and thought you already did what you dreamed)
The kind about everyday stuff where when I wake up I'm not sure if it really happened or was a dream, then I have to figure it out.
5) this one is just out of curiosity and Cinnabar mentioned it in the AURA poll, do you ever dream you are having a seizure? of any sort? *this goes for people who dont have E too, but they live with someone who does*
I've had dreams of aftereffects where I'd be in the hospital in the ICU (like when I was in '07), or dreams of ambulance rides and stuff like that. I've never seen myself seize in a dream though.

Color
Either/or. I've had both kinds.
Once in a while. Sometime, though, I wake up and still think I'm dreaming.
I hate it when I dream I get up and go through my entire day and get back in bed exhausted, only to find that I never woke up. Then, when I actually do, I feel like I haven't slept a wink.

Yes, actually. And I've had a dream shile I was having a seizure... it was really weird. It involved Mao Tse Tung and McDonald's... My friend who also has epilepsy has weird seizure-dreams, too. Oh, those conversations are great.:roflmao:

Great topic... I can't speak from an epilepsy point of view but if you are interested, here are my answers. I am not on any medication, just natural remedies such as Pao D'Arco and multivitamin supplements...

1) Do you dream in colour or black and white or sepia?
I dream in colour but it is not something that I usually notice. Attention is usually drawn to specific colours if they are important, e.g. I was recently trying to face a particular fear, so the main emotion I was feeling at the time was fear, and the hypnagogic state (between wakefulness and sleep) changed (so I knew something was different) and there was a dream which echoed the situation and pointed at the source. Then subsequent dreams contained a particular colour - teal green - and various items in the dreams took on the same colour. Earlier this year, I had a black and white dream with shades of grey. The colours black and white were important in this dream as it was part of a dream sequence in which they were repeated. The dreams in this sequence were colour dreams... with the occurrence of certain elements to which attention was drawn.

2) Are you a spectator (you watch yourself do things) or are you viewing as yourself (seen through your eyes)?
I am sometimes be a spectator and watch myself do things and I sometimes view the dream as seen through my eyes. I can also be a spectator who is simply watching the dream without being present.

3) Do you ever know that your dreaming (lucid dreaming)?
Yes, this happens sometimes, not very often.

4) Types of dreams that annoy you. (ie: dreaming you got up for work, came home went to bed, then actually woke up and thought you already did what you dreamed)
I have dreams that may cause me to feel fear, uncertainty, happiness, sadness... but I don't have dreams which annoy me. A couple of months ago, I had a very short and simple dream which occurred to reduce a rising feeling of elation in the wakeful state... the rising feeling could have continued to rise and would have been counterproductive to the situation at the time because there was still work to be done. I woke during the dream to find it had 'cut' into the rising feeling of elation and had the potential to reduce it. It was very difficult to listen to the dream because the feeling of elation was pleasant. But listening to the dream was important. It was a regulatory or reductive dream. You could say that I was a little off-beat about having to listen to the dream. But at the same time, I could see that it was necessary.

Last edited:
I dream in color! Sometimes very vivid. I went through a stage about 5 years ago when I was always dreaming about water- the ocean, mostly, and the color blue. Not that everything was blue- all colors were there, but a lot of things were blue.
Always through my own eyes.
I remember once or twice dreaming like this.
4) types of dreams that annoy you. I used to always have dreams that I was in high school and I missed the school bus. Even after I finished college I'd still have these dreams!
5) this one is just out of curiosity and Cinnabar mentioned it in the AURA poll, do you ever dream you are having a seizure? of any sort? *this goes for people who don't have E too, but they live with someone who does*
Yeah, I have dreamed that I was having a seizure. Not that many times, though.

In the past few years, I don't remember my dreams after I wake up. I used to remember many of my dreams. Sometimes they would fade throughout the day (isn't that weird how that happens? Even if you think about a dream you had a few times during that day, you can't remember hardly anything about it by the end of the day). But I don't seem to remember them anymore past a few seconds after I wake up. I know I've dreamed, but I usually can't remember what they were about. Sometimes I remember who was in them, though.
But I can remember dreams I had YEARS ago. When I was a kid I used to have this really weird recurring dream about it being nighttime, and my dad working late, and my mom taking me and my brother out to the car because we had to go somewhere, but when my om starts backing out of the driveway, she drives over some cord that makes the garage door go up and down and up and down, and she can't stop it so she has to call my dad. haha. It always freaked me out. For some reason, stuff that repeats, like the garage door going up and down repeatedly, freaks me out.
I also used to have a lot of dreams where I was somewhere, I'd turn to go back where I came from but everything looked different and I couldn't get back. Those were scary, too.
Also, I saw a lot of people say that after starting Lamictal they started having more vivid dreams. For me it was the opposite. I think my dreams became hard to remember when I started Lamictal!

Does anyone start dreaming as you're falling asleep or dream when you take a nap even if it's less than an hour? I do and I didn't know until recently that this is very abnormal and that you're not supposed to start dreaming until about 90 minutes after you've fallen asleep.

Last edited:

1) do you dream in colour or black and white or sepia? Color! Is this normal?

I am always me. Well I am always watching.
I do know when I have been most stressed in my life (no one believes me), my friend Sammy who died in a car accident comes to me. We just talk (can't remember about what). I do know I would wake up peaceful, like everything is going to be OK!
I have smelled his smoke before... and I was not sleeping! I've had my husband smell it too, so I know I am not crazy. :roflmao:

3) do you ever know that your dreaming (lucid dreaming)? I think this has happened a couple times in my life...

4) types of dreams that annoy you. (ie: dreaming you got up for work, came home went to bed, then actually woke up and thought you already did what you dreamed) YES! I refuse to talk to people about other people's things (stuff that has been told to me), as I never know was I thinking it, did I dream it, did we talk about it? Drives me crazy!

I don't think so, not that I remember[

Back
Top Bottom