My Personal N=1

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Hah! Assisted suicide! Exactly.

If worse comes to worst I could always buy some finished product. But I'm not sure about the CBD/THC content there.

And the dispensaries are coming next year. That will make things much easier. The ones in California had all the interesting edibles like Mari-butter and the oil that can be used in a vaporizer instead of smoking.
Have you thought about using Hemp seed or Hemp oil? They come from the same family of plants as MJ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865598461/Bill-allowing-hemp-oil-use-for-seizure-treatment-passes-Senate.html?pg=all

I bought hemp seeds from Sams Club ($4.99 for 2 lbs) and Hemp oil from Whole Foods.
So, it is definitely legal in USA to buy them. I am not sure if it is legal to grow them.

Last edited:
Have you thought about using Hemp seed or Hemp oil? They come from the same family of plants as MJ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hemp

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865598461/Bill-allowing-hemp-oil-use-for-seizure-treatment-passes-Senate.html?pg=all

I bought hemp seeds from Sams Club ($4.99 for 2 lbs) and Hemp oil from Whole Foods.
So, it is definitely legal in USA to buy them. I am not sure if it is legal to grow them.
Hemp oil is legal but contains little to no CBD.

Exactly. I do buy some CBD oil online but I'm not positive that it does anything. It seems just like a mild sleep aid.

That might be a placebo effect. If you don't have a prescription, you can't get anything with CBD. I tried the stuff online and it didn't do a thing for me. I think it's a scam by people wanting to make a quick buck taking advantage of people that are desperate for help.

If I thought the stuff online worked I would be buying a boatload of the stuff, especially for my grandson, if his parents agreed to let him try it.

Ohio may be close to legalizing it it for actual patient use. So many states where it is legal, it is only legal for limited medical research.

It is definitely illegal to carry MJ or hemp across state lines.

Imagine this scenario. a person buys hemp seed and oil for personal use from Sams Club in Ohio, keeps receipt and then drives to Florida for vacation. This person can get arrested in other states even though he never participated in any illegal activity.

It is definitely illegal to carry MJ or hemp across state lines.

Imagine this scenario. a person buys hemp seed and oil for personal use from Sams Club in Ohio, keeps receipt and then drives to Florida for vacation. This person can get arrested in other states even though he never participated in any illegal activity.
Jay, I don't know where you heard this but it is simply not true. For MJ yes, but not for hemp or hemp oil.

That might be a placebo effect. If you don't have a prescription, you can't get anything with CBD. I tried the stuff online and it didn't do a thing for me. I think it's a scam by people wanting to make a quick buck taking advantage of people that are desperate for help.
CBD is legal in all 50 states without a prescription but it is the kind extracted from hemp not from actual cannabis.

Whether or not the CBD that is sold online is effective, that is another question. I think they are definitely jacking up the price ever since Dr. Sanjay Gupta came out with that CNN documentary called , "Weed".

It is probably more effective for some people than others just like any other Rx medication or alternative treatment.

I read a couple of articles speculating that the reason the hemp extract CBD isn't as effective is something they have dubbed "the entourage effect" which is all the various metabolite of cannabis working synergistically. The whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

I will rather buy my hemp seeds and consume them in the same state so that I do not even have to prove legal aspects. If I am guilty, then the bigger stores are guilty of selling the stuff.

Here are the links regarding hemp seeds and Federal folks intervention.

(1) Hemp seeds seized by federal agents in North Dakota with no crimes charged

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/jun/19/north-dakota-hemp-seeds-seized-federal-agents

(2) Kentucky sues feds to get hemp seeds' release

http://www.courier-journal.com/story/news/politics/2014/05/14/kentucky-sues-get-hemp-seeds-release/2139902/

(3) In Federal-State Marijuana Battle, Hemp Is The New Frontier

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/05/16/3438565/kentucky-sues-the-feds-as-marijuana-battle-turns-to-hemp/

(4) Feds Block Kentucky Hemp Seed Shipment

http://www.hightimes.com/read/feds-block-kentucky-hemp-seed-shipment

(5) Hemp seeds bound for Colorado seized at U.S.-Canada border

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/hemp-seeds-bound-for-colorado-seized-at-u-s-canada-border/

(6) DEA Seizes Kentucky's Hemp Seeds Despite Congressional Legalization

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/13/dea-seizes-kentuckys-hemp_n_5318098.html

Last edited:
Those articles are all early 2014 when the federal law had just been changed and all the various agencies (DEA etc.) were trying to get their administrative act straight.

Really, a parent with a bottle of hemp oil is not going to be arrested anywhere. "They" are not out to get you. Relax.

Some states have very strict laws regarding importing plants which have nothing to do with what kind of plant. It is about preventing the spread of bug infestations. California for instance will not let a tourist bring a pineapple back from Hawaii. The pineapples shipped to the mainland are all gassed to kill the bugs. But nobody is going to arrest you, they will just take your pineapple away. This is the reason behind some of those seed seizures. But those importing bans wouldn't apply to a bottle of oil.

And, as you said, all the big supermarkets sell it openly. Really, not an issue.

Last edited:
I remember filling Hawaii Agriculture forms during the flights when I traveled to Honolulu couple of times.

Are these hemp seeds or oil helpful in seizures? My understanding of hemp seeds and oil is still very rudimentary. I looked at the contents and they seem to have high protein and Omega-3 nutrients.

Frankly I don't think the hemp seeds or oil do much of anything. There is very little CBD involved.

You would be better off looking up specifically CBD supplements. They come as capsules, sublingual sprays, etc.

The CBD supps are made from hemp but they concentrate the CBD further.

Last edited:
My internet was out for half the day yesterday. Actually it was the power that was out.
That happens fairly often here. Always good to keep a supply of candles, flashlights, books, crossword puzzles and such.

But, being netless for a while got me thinking. I think it's good for mental and physical health to make yourself take a "net-break" even if the power doesn't go out.

It's so easy to get caught up in cyber-reality and miss the real world.

I just walked 4 miles in the forrest with my dog. Along the way, I talked to some really sweet people who were walking the same road. He walks with two arm sticks having had polio as a child. If he can find the energy and not give into the excuses not to go for a walk, then I sure as heck can too.

There is the most magnificent sunset over my porch rail. I think I'll go make a bowl of ahi poke for dinner.

Life's good. :)

Yes Aloha Bird
Sometimes it pays to be "net free" to just look and appreciate where we are.

x

My internet was out for half the day yesterday. Actually it was the power that was out.
That happens fairly often here. Always good to keep a supply of candles, flashlights, books, crossword puzzles and such.

But, being netless for a while got me thinking. I think it's good for mental and physical health to make yourself take a "net-break" even if the power doesn't go out.

It's so easy to get caught up in cyber-reality and miss the real world.

I just walked 4 miles in the forrest with my dog. Along the way, I talked to some really sweet people who were walking the same road. He walks with two arm sticks having had polio as a child. If he can find the energy and not give into the excuses not to go for a walk, then I sure as heck can too.

There is the most magnificent sunset over my porch rail. I think I'll go make a bowl of ahi poke for dinner.

Life's good. :)
One of my favorite places to go is a little cabin in the "hills" of Ohio. There is no internet connection and almost no cell phone reception but there is lots of privacy and nature.

Kind of off topic but with is 'poke' I mean I know what to poke means. But not sure about poke as a food. Do you like...poke it then eat it? (sorry on ativan had back to back seizures AGAIN ARG)

Hahhhhaahah

No, not poke as in poke it with a stick to make sure it's dead.
"Poh-kay" is an asian dish that has many variations.

Basic recipe is
sushi grade raw ahi chopped into chop stick sized chunks
toss on dressing of
sesame oil
coconut aminos (or you can use soy sauce)
wasabi (the hot green asian horseradish you get at sushi bars)
garlic
ginger
hot pepper sauce if you like it spicy

Sprinkle on sesame seeds and chopped up green onions and serve

I served mine with a sliced up avocado around the edges. Avocado and ahi go nicely together. That's why they are often found in sushi roll together.

I love Mondays.

I had my weekly session with my Hawaiian healer this morning and then spent the rest of the day at the beach. I found this one little cove that has a gently sloped sandy beach where you can just recline and let the waves wash over you (the big surfing type waves are outside the breakwater).

The air and the water are both about 82 at the beach. More like 75 up at my place which feels delightfully cool.

AlohaBird, I certainly do wonder what a weekly session with a Hawaiian healer would be like, and if it is not too private, I would love it if you could illuminate sometime. I cannot even grasp what it would be like to be at the beach when air and water are about 82 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom