Proposed Health care reform bill.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am Canadian also and yes, all systems have pros and cons but at leaste with the Government system:

1) You have to have a health card which prooves you are Canadian (no illegal immigrants will be treated)

2) You still have the right to obtain private health care ( if you can pay for it)

3) In most cases, treatment that is not covered by Government health care can be covered by your private insurance (if you have it) or if the Government will only partially pay a bill, your private insurance(usually provided by your employer) will pay the difference.

4) The wait times aren't as long as previously mentioned, it all depends on the urgency.

Randy

:agree:

A lot of what's being said right now in the US about our system is extremely exaggerated.

Thanks Randy and Eric - people need to hear more truth about your system instead of media folks with their own agendas.

:clap:

What seems to never be brought up with this issue is that a HUGE portion of the US is already covered by government insurance.

Everyone over 65 is on medicare.
Those in poverty situations are on medicaid.
All federal workers are covered by a public plan.
The entire military and a portion of veterans are covered.

Rough guess - at least a 1/4 to 1/3 of the US population is on government insurance.

As I said earlier, I sure it does work well for a country with the population of the state of Ca.

Thanks Randy and Eric - people need to hear more truth about your system instead of media folks with their own agendas.

:clap:

What seems to never be brought up with this issue is that a HUGE portion of the US is already covered by government insurance.

Everyone over 65 is on medicare.
Those in poverty situations are on medicaid.
All federal workers are covered by a public plan.
The entire military and a portion of veterans are covered.

Rough guess - at least a 1/4 to 1/3 of the US population is on government insurance.

O-Kay, I'm convinced that Government Paid Healthcare would not work in a lare populated country such as the U.S b/c of all the huge Government bailouts and as Buckeye Fan (an American) mentioned above, 60% of the population is on some sort of Government Assistance and this healthcare system would be an Administrative disaster, trying to get blood out of an already "Bled dry" Government.
It works great in less populated countries such as Great Britan, Canada, France (to name a few).

Randy

I just know when you dont have health insurance this change looks good when your strugglen on daily basis with seizures and other issues with no health insurance dr or extra despite trying and not gettin it. a few times i even wondered if i could become my own phyician. this looks good from were i stand gives me better chance then more then i gots now. Maybe thats what we should do let every 1 be there own phyician lol. somethins gotta change were alota us still wont end up screwed like we are now

Last edited:
As I said earlier, I sure it does work well for a country with the population of the state of Ca.

Despite it being a Canadian system it's the individual provinces that are responsible for implementing and managing it. I would have to wonder if it would be more functional if something similar was done with each state managing their portion of the system.

I am not sure. I am still waiting for more info on this health plan.

I do know I don't like the cost of healthcare, it is so outrageous and the drug companies are getting rich.

Just today I found out that my insurance is refusing to pay for my KEPPRA XR which so far seems to be better for as far as far as side effects are concerned. The DR does not want me to take the generic Keppra . The regular brand Keppra made me too drowsy and gave me migraines. Anyway the Keppra XR is going to cost me $200 a month and I have insurance but they refuse to pay for it they want me to take the generic Keppra.:ponder:

So something need to be done to improve the costs of healthcare in the country.
Maybe more regulations of these Health insurance companies and Drug companies.

Does anyone know where I can get the Keppra XR cheaper???????? $200 a month is going to hurt and that was with some coupon I found off the Keppra XR website which is supposing to save me $360 a year .

Do you really think this will be any different under a Govt plan?

We need changes to our system, but the direction that they are going is seriously flawed.

I just know when you dont have health insurance this change looks good when your strugglen on daily basis with seizures and other issues with no health insurance dr or extra despite trying and not gettin it. a few times i even wondered if i could become my own phyician. this looks good from were i stand gives me better chance then more then i gots now. Maybe thats what we should do let every 1 be there own phyician lol. somethins gotta change were alota us still wont end up screwed like we are now

I know that you can get insurance if you are a student at a junior college. It costs something, but it is certainly not as expensive as others. I am sure there are other organizations that you can get healthcare through at a reduced rate.
It is not a right, it is a privilege. You have to put something in to get something back.

So far the way the obama administration works, is we will not be entitled to the full details until AFTER it is approved. I hope people are contacting her representatives and congresspeople to let them know how they feel about this before that happens

Despite it being a Canadian system it's the individual provinces that are responsible for implementing and managing it. I would have to wonder if it would be more functional if something similar was done with each state managing their portion of the system.

The Canadian system is managed seperately by each province, (Provincial Gov't)
Maybe the states could manage a system run by each individual state. (that's your over population problem solved).

Randy

President says it is all AARP's fault for the Healthcare Bill he is pushing.

Told a voter that he wasn't familiar with the part of the bill that was in question.

So why are we rushing things?

Obama: "if we have a blue pill and a red pill, and the blue pill costs less than the red pill, but works just the same, why aren't we using the one that is cheaper. The system right now doesn't incentivise (?) that. We are going to change that."

So get ready for your GENERIC anti-seizure meds. Sounds like no choice to me.

Last edited:
President says it is all AARP's fault for the Healthcare Bill he is pushing.

Told a voter that he wasn't familiar with the part of the bill that was in question.

So why are we rushing things?

Obama: "if we have a blue pill and a red pill, and the blue pill costs less than the red pill, but works just the same, why aren't we using the one that is cheaper. The system right now doesn't incentivise (?) that. We are going to change that."

I will opt to go off the meds before I go back on the generic that made me sicker.

The simplest solution I see is to make sure that whenever ANY drug goes generic, that it is thoroughly tested on a wide variety of people. Every generic company has to be tightly audited. Give all generic companies the exact quantity of fillers as the original brand name. Let that patent expire and let the price come down!

So far the way the obama administration works, is we will not be entitled to the full details until AFTER it is approved. I hope people are contacting her representatives and congresspeople to let them know how they feel about this before that happens

We may be able to find out the full details and even read the bill on our own before even Congress votes on this. http://www.letfreedomringusa.com/pledge-to-read

Hold your Senators and Members of Congress accountable for reading any healthcare reform legislation up for vote by having them sign our pledge.
All 535 Members of the U.S. House and Senate have received multiple copies of the Pledge by fax, email, regular mail or personal visitation. Any Representative or Senator not shown on the list of signers below may therefore reasonably be classified as having declined to sign. A few Senators have insisted that although they are supportive of our Pledge, they have adopted a blanket policy against signing pledges that prevents their signing ours. Although Let Freedom Ring believes that that they should make an exception for our pledge, because it is narrowly drawn and quite specific, we have agreed to post letters from those Senators in a separate section following the list of signers. You may read the letters by clicking on the Senators’ names.

We can all write to our Senators and Congressmen/women and tell them how important it is as Americans to have a Healthcare system that works for each of us individually and not the same for everyone else. We aren't all 'everyone', we are one person standing together with other Americans who are all concerned about their healthcare too.

I saw that & thought the same thing. Didn't he also say (earlier than the pill remark) when talking about coverage that what the doctor thinks is appropriate (not the govt. or insurance co.) will be covered? That remark impressed me.

Do you really think that will happen?
They have said that they will favor those that are younger over those that are older.
Care will be rationed. There certainly will be pressure to use the less costly medical care. Even now with HMO, the doctor can not even bring up care that is not covered by the insurance. This will only make it worse.

I saw that & thought the same thing. Didn't he also say (earlier than the pill remark) when talking about coverage that what the doctor thinks is appropriate (not the govt. or insurance co.) will be covered? That remark impressed me.
Hmmm...sounds like he is talking out of both sides of his mouth. This doesn't work both ways. Count me unimpressed

We may be able to find out the full details and even read the bill on our own before even Congress votes on this. http://www.letfreedomringusa.com/pledge-to-read

We can all write to our Senators and Congressmen/women and tell them how important it is as Americans to have a Healthcare system that works for each of us individually and not the same for everyone else. We aren't all 'everyone', we are one person standing together with other Americans who are all concerned about their healthcare too.
That is great news...I see mine on there! I wasn't aware of this, it is great news. But I feel another Tea Party coming on.

Jul 22, 2009
As President Obama pushes for passage of his first major domestic policy change, some physicians are waging an all-out war against a health care reform bill they say amounts to nothing more than socialized medicine.

America's Affordable Health Choices Act of 2009 would create a public health insurance alternative and require coverage for most Americans and from most employers.

The American Medical Association -- the nation's largest physician organization with nearly 250,000 members -- initially opposed the president's plan, but backed the House Democrats' version of the bill last week. That has led to an internal dispute that has resulted in some physicians leaving the nation's largest doctors' association.

Some doctors charge the bill will lead to inferior patient care as physician offices around the country triple their patient lists and become forced to ration care.

"This is war," Dr. George Watson, a Kansas physician and president-elect of the American Association of Physicians and Surgeons, told FOXNews.com Thursday. "This is a bureaucratic boondoggle to grab control of health care. Everything that has been proposed in the 1,018 page bill will contribute to the ruination of medicine."

Watson said the president's reform bill is loaded with rules and regulations that will ultimately result in shoddy patient care and long waiting lines. He blasted the bill as "insidious" by forcing doctors contracted with Medicare into the nationalized plan -- a "trap" he described as "involuntary servitude."

The AMA -- which has long opposed government health care intervention, including the Clinton's administration's attempt to revamp the system in 1994 -- issued a statement calling the House version of the bill "a solid start to achieving health reform this year that makes a positive difference for patients and physicians."

"The status quo is unacceptable," president Dr. J. James Rohack said in July 18 video statement posted on the AMA Web site. Rohack praised the legislation for providing health coverage for 97 percent of Americans, and said the president's plain will "eliminate coverage denials based on a preexisting condition" and "repeal the fatally flawed Medicare physician payment formula."

Still, Rohack said, "the debate is far from over," adding that the AMA will have a hand in drafting the final legislation, including a push for medical liability reform.

Some physicians charge the AMA is putting its business interests above the most critical issue at stake: patient care.

"The AMA is not representing patients or doctors anymore," Arizona physician Dr. Elizabeth Lee Vliet told FOX News. "Eighty-five percent of their revenue comes from non-membership sources. They are in the business of medicine."

While most doctors support some form of health care reform, a growing number are blasting the president's proposal as socialized medicine and are calling for a dramatically different approach -- one that calls for a system that pays for quality rather than quantity of medical procedures available to patients.

"There's no need to rush a bill through Congress," said Dr. Donald J. Palmisano, a leading surgeon and former president of the AMA who heads the physicians group Coalition to Protect Patients' Rights. "We don't get praise for getting out of the operation room quickly. We got praise for doing the right thing for the patients," he said.

Palmisano said he opposes the president's plan because patients will no longer be able to properly contract with their doctors. Palmisano is proposing a patient-centered system that will allow the patient to own the policy, which he said could be achieved by using tax credits to buy insurance.

"The government takeover of the practice of medicine will destroy the private health insurance companies, and will result in rationing, long lines, and loss of access to physicians in the patient hour of need," he said.

The Mayo Clinic, a non-profit organization and internationally renowned medical practice group, took issue with patient care quality that will result if the president's bill becomes law:

"Although there are some positive provisions in the current House Tri-Committee bill -- including insurance for all and payment reform demonstration projects -- the proposed legislation misses the opportunity to help create higher-quality, more affordable health care for patients."

"In fact, it will do the opposite," the clinic said in a July 16 statement on its Web site.

Opponents of the bill also charge that it will deter prospective doctors from pursuing a medical degree -- adding to preexisting concerns over the current number of doctors.
http://www.letfreedomringusa.com/news/read/529

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom