Video EEG Day One

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

*shudder* I used to love scary movies. I can't do it anymore, not since having kids I guess.

One of the last ones I watched was What Lies Beneath. Scared the shit out of me. lol I also like Sleeping with the Enemy. (Gawd, it's been so long this is embarrassing.)

I do have a good friend that's way into horror, so if you want some more suggestions I can bug her. She should be up soon.

I see now that you're in Upstate NY. Where abouts? My mom is from Stoneybrook :) My grandmother lived up north until her mid 50's, then she and my Pop-pop decided to move their family to their vacation home in S. Carolina. That's how we got stuck in the South, and how I became "a Southerner"

Oh, I'm up near Syracuse. I'm not a fan of the South (I know, blasphemy to Southerner's ears!). I have found lots of good movies actually though :) I watched Identity, then juts watched Asylum. I really seem to like movies about crazy people. They are thrillers without being gory (I don't like gory - just scary!)

Oh, and kids can totally watch 'em. When my sis an I stayed with our dad for a bit (mom and dad have been divorced ahwile), we made Friday "scary movie night" and we'd go to Blockbuster and pick out a bunch of scary movies to watch all night. I was about twelve and my sis was ten. My mom didn't like it when she found out, but we loved it, and we turned out great! lol.

Oh, I'm up near Syracuse. I'm not a fan of the South (I know, blasphemy to Southerner's ears!). I have found lots of good movies actually though :) I watched Identity, then juts watched Asylum. I really seem to like movies about crazy people. They are thrillers without being gory (I don't like gory - just scary!)

Oh, and kids can totally watch 'em. When my sis an I stayed with our dad for a bit (mom and dad have been divorced ahwile), we made Friday "scary movie night" and we'd go to Blockbuster and pick out a bunch of scary movies to watch all night. I was about twelve and my sis was ten. My mom didn't like it when she found out, but we loved it, and we turned out great! lol.

It's ok, I don't like it down here very much either ;)

I checked it out - very interesting! I'm having a hard time focusing on anything real since I'm so sleep deprived, lol. And my head is a big foggy mess - probably from the combo of no meds and no sleep!

Oh no doubt! Figured it would be decent browsing at least :D

I know you said they said you could sleep, but I wanted to check in and see if you posted again before I pass out.

How's it going? Did you get some zzzz's? Have you figured out if that was for sure a partial earlier? Anything since?

Looking forward to hearing from you :D

I hope you haven't updated because you've been sleeping....OR because you're post ictal sleeping and they got a good reading. OR because you're home passed the fk out.

Looking forward to reading your update :D

I DID sleep! :) Still at the hospital though. I'm off all meds and feel very strange as a result. Not seizure strange (yet), but kinda dizzy/weird senses (like my fingers and everything feel very light - like running would be fun!) My head also feels strange... almost headachy, but not quite... like... yeah, no way to explain it at all. Anyway, I just had a Full Throttle, and one of the nurses is supposed to bring me another on. OR she asked if I wanted one, I"m not sure if she was serious, lol.

Sadly, nobody has told me much about my results. The EEG tech came in earlier and asked if I had something around 11:15 last night. I said no and said I was just feeling weird all evening. I asked why, and he said he was just wondering (I'm trying to remember if I had to press that button as a test at that time and that's why he was wondering). Okay I Feel like I can almost feel something coming on, but I think I do need more caffeine.

Oh, and when you all have done these, did you either a) have to have someone stay with you or b) call in a nurse to be with you whenever you got out of bed (like needing to use the restroom?) Nobody had told me before that I had to have someone, but last night's nurse said I Neededt o call her whenever I got out of my bed since I'm a fall risk. That was kind of annoying, but like she said, it's her job... but it was still annoying not being able to get out of bed without someone there, lol.

So nothing super exciting! Trying to make myself upset is sadly not working. Though yes, watching stimulating movies has definitely helped.

This must definitely be a very strange experience -- deliberately pushing yourself and stressing yourself to make an unpleasant event happen. Maybe they can give you some XTC to get things going.
/jk

Oh, and when you all have done these, did you either a) have to have someone stay with you or b) call in a nurse to be with you whenever you got out of bed (like needing to use the restroom?) Nobody had told me before that I had to have someone, but last night's nurse said I Needed to call her whenever I got out of my bed since I'm a fall risk. That was kind of annoying, but like she said, it's her job... but it was still annoying not being able to get out of bed without someone there, lol.

So nothing super exciting! Trying to make myself upset is sadly not working. Though yes, watching stimulating movies has definitely helped.

When I was in I could go around the room as far as the wired lead would let me. If I needed to go to the restroom, I just went. After I got a roommate I needed to unplug my lead when I went, then plug back in when I came back. But I have CPS, I don't usually fall down during them.

Did you try any other ways to entertain yourself yet?

Just something to amuse yourself.

Yeah, I Mostly only have simple partial, so I don't usually lose consciousness at all! Anyway, that was just one nurse - and I don't think she's really had to watch one of the epilepsy monitoring rooms that didn't have someone staying with them, so who knows!

Anyway, I've actually done a decent job keeping myself entertained the past two days or so! Jetpack Joyride is a great fun cell phone game! lol.

I'm really frustrated now though, because the neurologist just came in and said they hadn't found anything yet. Now, I know I haven't had much in the way of seizure activity, but I DEFINITELY felt something yesterday, so now I'm thinking, wow, maybe a lot of this IS mental? I mean, some of them I know AREN'T... but I haven't really had many of those. And they told me to press a button when I think it might be something... I've had what I thought were a few very short deja vus, and then the one thing yesterday... I guess this is one of my little-activity weeks (usually the week of and following my period is pretty quiet).

The good (bad?) news is that I'm getting frustrated over stuff again, which usually helps with seizure activity? And the nurse is going to bring more energy drinks by soon. I guess he is going to put me back on my meds tonight though - pending on what my normal neurologist wants. However, on the unfortunate end, my emotions decided to get the better of me because it's Valentine's Day and I'm stuck in this joint, my boyfriend is going to Bulgaria and had to hurry our skype so he could drive before it got dark, and then I was stressing about getting a ride back. I called one of my friends to ask about a ride, but he was driving back tomorrow. He asked how I was doing and I start crying (damn it). He did tell me what I all ready know: that my situation isn't as bad as I think it is (I also kinda avoided talking to him much about the bf stuff because I knew what he'd say). Which I know very well. He was an ICU nurse for ten years, so he knows. I told him that I know, and that's part of what is frustrating because it all upsets me more than it needs to and I feel fine to resume a normal life but I'm stuck here and nothing is even showing... Anyway, all this said while I'm on that video camera, trying to hide my face, lol. I guess all of you can understand my frustration though!

So yep, an interesting day so far. Wish I'd just have a damn seizure at this point! I shoulda just asked the nurse to bring me like three energy drinks at once. THAT would get me going (though might also give me a heart attack!)

This must definitely be a very strange experience -- deliberately pushing yourself and stressing yourself to make an unpleasant event happen. Maybe they can give you some XTC to get things going.
/jk

Hmmm... good idea! LOL. Though highly unlikely because the doc didn't even give me caffeine pills, haha.

The good (bad?) news is that I'm getting frustrated over stuff again, which usually helps with seizure activity? And the nurse is going to bring more energy drinks by soon. I guess he is going to put me back on my meds tonight though - pending on what my normal neurologist wants.

That doesn't seem right. They would keep you off your meds longer. I would expect some kind of EEG simulations to cause activities (flashing lights, etc).

Dont sit there thinking too much into it all. You will drive yourself nuts. Although I assume theres not much else to do!

Wishing on seizures for you and something to show up do this is all over for you

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I know exacly how you're feeling. I had the same thing happen to me in March 2011. I went my whole life having complex partial seizures and grand mal seizures since the age of 1. When I was 29, I had my first veeg. I was cold turkey'd off both keppra xr and carbatrol er. The first day had no seizure activity. the second day, I had it kick in around noon time and it lasted til they put me back on my Keppra xr, which was on the fourth day of being there. But instead of having complex partial seizures or grand mal, I was having simple partial seizures. Some of them were not showing up on the EEG, leading my neuro to believe they were non epileptic seizures. I even went to see the psych dr who he referred me to, and she stated that if those seizures to which my neuro said were non epileptic, and to which I never had prior to being cold turkeyed off the seizure medications, or even having this VEEG, was in deed non epilpetic seizures, the keppra xr he put me back on, would not stop the seizures. But once I was put back on the keppra xr, the day before being released, the seizures stopped. He then told my mom and me that the stuff that did show up on the EEG, was "Potential seizure activity" and that was the reasoning he put me back on the Keppra XR.

Ive been dealing with his mind games and BS since, and Ive seen another neuro in town, and this neuro said what he has said in the past is all BS, and added Topamax to the Keppra XR. The seizure activity that I had last month is in deed epileptic activity. I requested my medical records, and recieved them today in the mail... and when I got them, they listed the following information... something that was never told to myself or my mom when we were there. We were told that nothing was being seen on the EEG and that the seizures were considered NON EPILEPTIC!

"Intermittent left temporal slowing which was mild, she also was noticed to have occasional bursts of generalized irregular theta activity which some embedded poorly formed spike and slow wave complexes usually occuring in in a diffuse pattern."

Just because I didnt have the same seizures I was use to having prior to the VEEG doesnt mean the seizures I have now are not epileptic seizures. Its very frustrating. Hang in there sweetie. I know how hard this is to go through.

If you need anything, even a person to talk to, please PM me anytime.

Wow, that would be really frustrating :( I know I'm lucky that my second two EEGs came back clearly abnormal. I'm not sure if they got more information from my video EEG, but I did get a couple of partials last night/this morning. I thought I had some the day before yesterday too, but the neurologist said it looked normal. I got my physician discharge instructions, and it did said my discharge diagnosis is partial seizures, so who knows if those two showed up on the EEG. The neurologist said he will send my usual neurologist a detailed report (obviously five days of information is a lot to go through).

Also, I did have those partials while I wasn't paying attention (I was watching a t.v. show for the first one, and was looking at stuff online for the second one).

Anyway, I don't know much about EEGs, but I know that the spike and wave stuff can be typical in epilepsy. But maybe in other things as well... I'm glad your new neurologist acknowledged that you are indeed having epileptic seizures though!

Back
Top Bottom