You know you have epilepsy if...

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

If they did come with manuals it would be all too easy! lol.
I think you are right - nothing hits home more than seeing that your words have hurt someone. It would be horrible but maybe its better for her to see you so upset because it gives her something to assosiate your upset with her words.
Its like creating a mental picture in future for her, maybe she will remember how upset you were and think more carefully about her words?

:rose: *hugs*

xxx

I suppose in a way I'm lucky that I wont get that one from my daughter, as she has E as well herself, and so does her best friend. maybe I'll get it from the boys when they're older....I think you should explain to her that you feel hurt that she doesnt want you there and that you were really looking forward to watching her in her play as you are proud of her acheivements. I think you need to have a bit of a chat with her about being more accepting of people's differences, as if she sees your E as a possible embarrasment, would she feel the same if she saw someone else in the street having a seizure? My children have seen me have seizures at their christmas play (darn photo flashes on cameras) and also on the school field in front of the whole school on sports day 2008 as it was so hot. They just see it as a part of life, I have epilepsy, that's 'normal' for me, Another parent has diabetes, another walks with a stick, one child at the school has achondroplasia, another has duchenne muscular dystrophy, and a girl in my daughters year had leukemia. My kids see it as that everyone is different, we all have different things wrong with us it's nothing to be embarrased about. They say if we were all perfect and everyone was the same, the world would be a very boring place. Good Luck with your daughter (and you could always creep in the back if she won't relent!)

I haven't posted on this thread for a while, so I have been racking up some funny moments -

1, I put my company cell phone in the fridge
2, I stood in my kitchen before work and peeled my lunchtime banana, so by the time lunchtime came it was all black and messy. (I have no recollection of this)
3, I started to walk to work with my sneakers on instead of my safety boots.
4, The other day after having a bath, I wandered through the too my lounge wearing nothing (luckily I was on my own) and for some reason it felt right to hang my bath towel on the lounge radiator instead of the bathroom rad.
5, I crossed the road and started walking back towards home instead of towards work.
6, I walk past work on a regular basis.
7, I told a rep the other day that he kept ringing like a cell phone, accept he had no phone on him.
8, Entering a code into my works front door, never seems to work for me, I know that I am standing there pressing all the numbers trying to get in.

I have done so many things, these are some that have sprung into my mind. If I remember anymore, I'll post them.

I was at home feeling sorry for myself. But I'm done. You guys have lived my life except harder. I admire you all so much. I thought I was the only one who forgot everything. Hey, who is in it with me about forgetting about forgetting?Cause I know that has been bringing me down. I'm done with that. Time to move on. Who wants to move on with me HMmmmmmmm???????

I understand the childrens outbursts. My son gets embarrassed by me all the time. He does not want me to talk to anybody. I tell him I promise I won't embarrasse him. Oh lord help me. he he he.

Cetacian, You know you have Epilepsy when someone else with it sends you big ((HUGS))
:pop:

When you go to work and in the space of about 2 minutes, you knock over someone's walking frame (she wasn't using it at the time thankfully!), walk into the door, go into the kitchen and nearly knock over a pan of boiling carrots. Clumsiness was upon me yesterday :pop:

Later on i took all the washing out of the dryer and then folded it neatly to be ironed. Workmate came in later and asked why there was a load of wet washing all nicely folded. The dryer hadn't been on.

I don't even think these are a kind of seizure - just clumsiness and dopiness from the meds :paperbag:

When you cook and it is a miracle if you remember to take it out of the oven, and it is NOT burned!!!

You know you have epilepsy if its the reason why you are told you cant keep working in the one job you are good at... :(

This are great. Here are some of my favorites....
Calling the operator and telling her that you want to make a collect call to Fish (a guy I knew from boarding schoo), and telling her it is ok that I am taking the phone to the roof. ( I lived in a 2 story house). LOL
Calling 911 in Oakland CA and being put on hold
Having mom rush me out of a store, after knocking down several isisle of stuff ( in a $$ type store)
Having people freak out and my friends say, Oh he's just having a seizure.
Telling the EMT's to turn the run form over, I'm signing off.
Having the EMT's turn the form over for you, as they know you. LOL

Kind of funny how several of us went to EMS and Crisis type of jobs. I was a Vol EMT for 9 yrs in upstate NY.

Big ten is ok but REAL football is played in the SEC GO GATORS. and Yes, I jumped on their band wagon, but it was about 35years ago. LOL

you know you have epilepsy if
you are insistant that you wont get in the shower because its going to be cold - even though your housemate has heated the water for you and you have seen her doing it!

You go to the shop to buy milk, end up buying toilet roll but no milk, and attempt to pay using sweet wrappers

You come round from a seizure and have no idea who your housemate is - even though you have lived with her for 2 years

you go to pick your son up from nursery and can not remember exactly what his name is :s (this happened today - not fun! lol)

You know you have E if your in an Rx transition and you pick up the egg beater in one hand to use it as the telephone, which is in the other! :D

You know you have E when you come out of the showerhouse at camp & walk to the wrong camp site & can't tell the guy whats going on so he calls the 'camp police' & they can't help so just drive you around till you find your site. --- I recognised the hanging decoration we hung in the tree and yelled "Thats it!"

You know you have Epilepsy when you .....

(BLANK)

this is a complete post, one of those blank moments

Back
Top Bottom