Another worried Dad from the UK

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

IsaacsDad

New
Reaction score
Hi,

my 3 year old son has been having mostly very mild short lived seizures for 2 weeks. Either getting more frequent, or possibly we are more alert to them.

Locum GP referred on the basis of my description, but first appointment is 4.5 weeks time. The Health Visitor (who has personal experience) said don't expect much from that assessment.

At this point all the medical care he has had is a cursory inspection by GP.

So no diagnosis, the doctor thought it slightly atypical for absence seizures that he has a random arm jerking motion during some seizures, although the more I read the more convincing "absence seizures" sound. Most of the literature seems to suggest EEG is required for proper diagnosis. Doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency on the NHS side, only we (his parents) and his pre-school teacher seem to have a sense of urgency. I think that constipation may be a trigger. My main concern at this point is that it could be something else that won't wait 4.5 weeks placidly.

Also wondering if this explains some of his other behaviour. It is hard to tell what is normal, and what isn't at times. He is quite capable of not answering to his name even when he is fine, and does a fair amount of excited jumping around with the same jerking arm movement he had in one of the fits. He's been quite tired of late, so slightly concerned it might be affecting his sleep quality. He also complains he feels unwell, and wants to be better, but shows no insight into the seizure (as if he can't perceive them), and doesn't expand on the topic although he has quite a vocabulary of body parts he might complain about if he could say.

Any pointers on what to expect. What to ask for. Even good primers, as I'm still getting my head around the naming convention for epilepsy.

Nice to meet you.

I can't give you a definite answer if he's having seizures or not. Usually when I have a seizure and I'm starting to come out of it I can't answer simple questions. For example what my name is, who I'm talking to, where I live and things like that.

Alot of times after I have a seizure I'm very tired and sleep. I'll even be tired the next day and sleep during most of it too.

I don't know how the medical system works in the UK but I'm sure there are others on here that will beable to give you some advice.

Nice to meet you.

I'm starting to come out of it I can't answer simple questions. For example what my name is, who I'm talking to, where I live and things like that.

Alot of times after I have a seizure I'm very tired and sleep. I'll even be tired the next day and sleep during most of it too.

Thanks Val, wasn't aware that feeling tired can be a part of this. I had a colleague who had a grand mal seizure in our office once who woke us telling me he was 18 and at college still, so I know confusion can follow - but he turned blue and was exercising all my boy scout first aid knowlege (on the upside I did catch him as he fell out of his chair). Wasn't aware of this with petit mal like seizures. Indeed told the doctor he is usually straight back but I don't think that is the case now.

How the NHS neurology works for this is I fear what I need to know most urgently today.

Tried to discuss the problem with my son this morning, and he had two episodes during the very brief conversation (stopping midsentence at one point) and another over breakfast. Don't think it is sane or sensible to leave it a month before he sees someone who knows what they are looking at. Now realize that the odd jerking movement he made in the Doctor's surgery, which the doctor commented on dismissing it, IS actually a symptom.

Last edited:
Hey there, I live in Blackpool and my neurologist is in Preston. It took quite a while for me to get to see a neurologist. I think about 4 months to get an appointment, another 3 to have an MRI and 4 for an EEG. Then there was waiting for the results which also took a long while.

I'm pretty sure they move faster for children though. My advice is to keep on at them til you get an appointment because the NHS is certainly in no rush.

I have partials as well as tonic clonics, and partials can leave me tired and confused sometimes, especially if I have a lot in a short amount of time.

Update on Isaac

Thanks Lou, I'm starting to get to grips with how it works, and what ought to be done.

My partner and I have spoken with health visitor, Young Epilepsy, and a few other folk.

The referral is to the RDE Paediatric department, not neurology, probably why the health visitor said "don't expect much" from the initial assessment (I think that was an off the record comment), and yes I know some doctors have a whole hosts of skills but this appears to be with the first free paediatrician.

Got a cancellation to bring that assessment forward a week, but it is still 4 weeks away.

Am going to speak with a GP from his surgery this afternoon. I have some video, and quite extensive update on what I said to his GP on Friday.

Seems I should have kept in closer touch with my mate who became a neurologist, although he is the other side of the country anyway.

Hi IsaacsDad.

Our children are very different so i can't give you any advice on the seizures but i hope you get it sorted soon. I know as a parent you want the answers immediately and the waiting is so frustrating.

All the best to you and Isaac.

Mark.

Update 2

Thanks Mark,

Isaac has been having fewer, and less severe episodes recently so I'm less concerned now than I was since he has stopped getting worse and appears to be getting better.

Dragged the appointment forward a few weeks by getting cancellations.

It is an extremely variable condition with so many possibly etiologies. Don't expect to find a definite answer here, but expect to find what helps others.

Remember that if it persists or increases in frequency with stress it can do terrible things to a child's self-esteem. The fact that you're even here to look for an answer is admirable. Never blame yourself for this, it's the worst thing a parent can do and the negativity will transpire to the child.

A supportive family can mean EVERYTHING no matter what the condition. Please trust me on this and keep your (and little Isaac's) head up!

Okay a month or so on.

We've seen a paediatrician.

He's had an EEG (along with ECG, blood pressure, blood tests and various other tests).

So far everything is normal (he is a very strong and generally healthy little chap). Hopefully we can get the EEG result next week, rather than waiting to the next appointment with the paediatrician. He didn't exhibit any unusual behaviour (other than being quiet and still for 20 minutes) during the EEG.

We've had fewer absences, and more episodes of jerking his arms (and strange facial expressions). Seem to occur in bunches, so Sunday was bad this weekend, Saturday was bad the previous weekend. Last saturday he was walking holding my hand whilst he had an episode, pulling the most peculiar faces, and walking with an odd lopsided gait, but none the less still walking (not falling over).

Have you gotten to speak with a neurologist yet?

Have you gotten to speak with a neurologist yet?

No. Also I thought the "neurological examination" by the paediatrician wasn't quite what I expected. It was a very thorough physical exam with a selection of reflexes being tested, but not with the kind of check I've seem used for adult neurological exams e.g. visual field test, and tests for damage to specific groups of nerves. Although I can quite believe such tests are hard to do in young children.

Back
Top Bottom