Memory Strategies

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

natalie

New
Reaction score
I am writing a college paper and I was wondering if anyone has any links to some helpful memory strategies?

I am new here and have wanted to join for some time...this just gave me the perfect reason :D

Can anyone help me in this area? I would really appreciate it.

I hope to get to know everyone soon :D

Welcome to the group. I wish I had some great sites for memory. I am sorry to say I don't. i do enjoy "free rice" for word vocab. and it actually does recycle words, so you can remember definitions. Anyways...join in. this site hs been relly great for me.

michelle : )

Very cool site Spinnymommy. There's another site, wait, I can't remember where it is :roflmao:

My memory is terrible. Someone could tell me something a short time later I would forget what they said. I have to use two 7-day pill boxes so I don't forget to take my medicine. I also use to alarms so I can take my medicine at the same time.:ponder:

My short term memory iis bad too. I have 2 rows of notes on the doorway between the kitchen and livingroom. (I pass constantly) and read the notes each time I go by. I'll see something I need to take care of and 3 seconds later I can't remember what it was. i use 2 boxes too. One is white and has pics of suns on them for morning. The other is blue and has pics of moons for night. (I drew 'em with perm. marker) I still get them mixed up sometimes and take my am pills at night and vice versa.

I remember to take the pills at the same time every day because I take the am before I make breakfast and the pm before I make dinner. The family won't let me forget to feed them!!!

I am writing a college paper and I was wondering if anyone has any links to some helpful memory strategies?

I am new here and have wanted to join for some time...this just gave me the perfect reason :D

http://www.epilepsynse.org.uk/pages/info/leaflets/memory.cfm

http://www.nevdgp.org.au/info/epilepsyf/info/improve.html

A few ideas, but you can easily do the research by searching improving memory with Epilepsy. Though you don't say that you are writing memory as it relates to E, but having come to an E site, I would have to think that is what you have intended.

When you say you have wanted to join for some time... does that mean that you are dealing with similar issues as the majority are here? If so... Welcome. If you just have a curiosity and want to learn more... Double Welcome. Knowledge will cure ignorance I believe.

I hope you share with us what you have learned while doing your research paper.

I'm with Spinneymommy. Notes are my salvation. I have also started putting a dot on the calendar for each time I take my pills. Once for morning, once for evening. I sometimes don't remember if I took them, even a couple of minutes later.

I'll bet neurofeedback would help in the memory department.

I carry a notebook & a couple of pens with me. In doing so I've learned that it not only is a good reminder (when I check it) but that actually writing things sometimes helps me remember.

Hi natalie, welcome to the forum. :hello:

What class is the paper for?

Thank you all for the many replies! Sorry it has taken me a few days to get back to you all...I have been busy writing the paper...hahaha!

I will try to answer as many of the questions right now as I can. I will get to all of them eventually.

The class is for Modifications for Special Education. I could have chosen any topic; therefore, I chose to write concerning memory difficulties in school aged children who have epilepsy. I feel that many educators are unaware of the difficulties that children with epilepsy face not only due to medication side effects, but simply due to having epilepsy alone. My research verified my feelings. Many teachers (67% of those participating in a specific study) said that they were not confident in meeting the academic needs of children with epilepsy.

I wanted to offer the teachers some strategies to help the children with memory issues (plus I need the strategies for myself...hahaha).

Someone asked if I have epilepsy...I do. I have been diagnosed for almost two years. I have come across so many people who have epilepsy who have dealt so strongly with their diagnosis. Unfortunately, I am ashamed to admit that I am not one of you who has handle it gracefully. I have had a very difficult time adjusting and have really rebelled against life...rebelled against a lot of things due to my diagnosis. However, in the past month or so, I am starting to mature a little (at my age (33), I should have been mature enough to handle this, but I guess I wasn't...hahaha).

So...well...that is a long, boring introduction into me.

Again, thank you everyone for your replies. I look forward to getting to know everyone in the future.

Natalie

PS...I used some of the links and ideas you all provided in my paper...thank you so much for your help!

Wow, sounds like an interesting paper you're doing. I'd be curious if you come to any conclusion/s & what it/they might be. I've always had trouble in school, even with the stuff I knew so understanding how we learn (or mis-learn) as well as how we process & use what we learn is of great value & interest to me.

As for handling it gracefully- some things I do & others........ not so much lol.

Good to have you here, hope you stick around even after your paper's done.

I remember reading about kids who have absence seizures having learning difficulties. I guess so.... they miss instruction without knowing it... and the teacher may not realize if he/she doesn't notice the seizure.

I doubt memory exercises could help with this type of memory loss. I'm sure you know this, but I just wanted to mention it anyway. There was a girl in the school I used to work in who had this difficulty as well as retention problems.

Welcome Natalie

There is such a thing as "Nuemonic Device" eg to remember words or concepts. Here's a very simple example...You want to remember the word "Anthropology" so you think
..."Aunt throws apology". Since you're writing a college paper you might want to try it with with concepts.

I'm also fairly new here and have found that fellow sufferers are very informed and compassionate - how could they not be. I have other disorders and epilepsy is the most frightening for me. But there are ways of coping so life isn't all consumed by it. Always - Laurie :rose:

I remember reading about kids who have absence seizures having learning difficulties. I guess so.... they miss instruction without knowing it... and the teacher may not realize if he/she doesn't notice the seizure.

I doubt memory exercises could help with this type of memory loss. I'm sure you know this, but I just wanted to mention it anyway. There was a girl in the school I used to work in who had this difficulty as well as retention problems.

Some of the research I found showed a link between children with epilepsy and learning disability. The studies suggested that schools screen children with epilepsy for learning disabilities to help the children before it is too late.

Also, I did suggest in my paper that teachers repeat the content material several times (over several days) for children who are known to have absent seizures.

Laurie, the mnemonic memory strategies that you have suggested works really well with children who have difficulties with learning. However, one study found that people with frontal lobe epilepsy will have difficulties using mnemonic strategies. I included that in my paper because many, many special educators use mnemonics for learning with children who have disabilities (not just those who have epilepsy). If anyone would like more information concerning this study, then please let me know!

Again, I really appreciate everyone's replies. Thank you so much for all of the help!

Natalie

Hi Natalie

I have a bad memory but at the moment my memory is really bad because of the Topamax which I'm taking. I have a weekly pill box which has 4 compartments for each day in it. I have to take my meds in the morning & at night so I just take them with brekky & with tea. If I go out somewhere for the night or overnight I just take an AM/PM pill box that I have.

I am currently being taken of Topamax & have to decrease it every 4 week so i have written down on my calendar when i have to decrease the Topamax. I put any other appts or important dates on my calendar which is kept in my lounge room near my couch.

I do voluntary work in an office 2 days a week & I am always writing down notes when asked to do things or if I answer the phone in the office I automaticaly pick up pen and paper and start jotting down the name of the caller and notes about phone call lol.

Hope you get good marks with your paper.

Hi Natalie

I have a bad memory but at the moment my memory is really bad because of the Topamax which I'm taking. I have a weekly pill box which has 4 compartments for each day in it. I have to take my meds in the morning & at night so I just take them with brekky & with tea. If I go out somewhere for the night or overnight I just take an AM/PM pill box that I have.

I am currently being taken of Topamax & have to decrease it every 4 week so i have written down on my calendar when i have to decrease the Topamax. I put any other appts or important dates on my calendar which is kept in my lounge room near my couch.

I do voluntary work in an office 2 days a week & I am always writing down notes when asked to do things or if I answer the phone in the office I automaticaly pick up pen and paper and start jotting down the name of the caller and notes about phone call lol.

Hope you get good marks with your paper.

I know it seems that I always have a reply to the comments that you all make, but I find this so fascinating!! When I did the research, phenobarbital was the most damaging AED to cognitive skills. However, out of the new AEDs, they found that topamax was the most damaging to memory and cognitive skills.

However, what they discovered is that, when a person is on a low dosage and started out very, very slowly...topamax actually enhanced memory...but only when on a dosage lower than 125 mg/day and starting at increments of 25mg per week...(you know what i mean here...begin...25 mg at night for one week...then 25 mg in morning/25 mg at night for a week....then 25 mg in morning/50mg at night for a week continued until the person is up to 125 mg.)

Anyway...the problem with this is that there is no research to show if a person's seizures are controlled at 125 mg per day. Interestingly, my neurologist will not increase me above 125 mg. She said she would not because I was in college, but I had no idea why. I still do not know for certain, but I am wondering if it is due to this study. I have daily complex partial seizures that are still uncontrolled and I have side effects from topamax (mild, but I still have them). I am frustrated now because the research that I have completed shows that for seizure control on topamax, the minimum dosage needs to be 400 mg per day. I literally made an appointment today to see my neurologist so that I can see if she will increase my topamax.

If I am going to have side effects, then I want to have the hope of having seizure control! Does that make any sense???

CQ, why are you having to go off of topamax? Did it control your seizures? What type of seiuzures were you having (if you don't mind me asking)?

I hope things work out for you. It sounds like you were handling your memory difficulties in a very effective manner. My problem is that I always lose the paper where I write the information down on...hahaha! Honestly! Hahahaha!

If I am going to have side effects, then I want to have the hope of having seizure control! Does that make any sense???

CQ, why are you having to go off of topamax? Did it control your seizures? What type of seiuzures were you having (if you don't mind me asking)?

I hope things work out for you. It sounds like you were handling your memory difficulties in a very effective manner. My problem is that I always lose the paper where I write the information down on...hahaha! Honestly! Hahahaha!
Hi Natalie

I had epilepsy as a baby then my seizures stopped when I was about 2 1/2 years old. I had a 22 year break from epilepsy then in 2002 I started taking seizures again. We aren't sure what caused the seziures the 2nd time around.

I usualy have an aura which is in the form of a funny dream or feeling funny in the head before the actual seizure. If I am talking to someone when I take a seizure I won't make sense, may seem vague or will stare in space. think the seizures I usualy take are classed as partial seizures. I usualy only have them every 2 -3 months. In the 6 years that I have been taking seizures again I have only taken 4 grandmal seizures & 1 bad seizure that I took this year.

I have been taking Topamax since March 2006. I started out on 200mg then last Nov I went & saw my Neuro because I was taking the seizures more on a monthly basis. The Neuro increased the topamax to 300mg. All went well & no signs of any seizures. On 14 Feb I was walking to a nursing home where I do vol work & I ended up taking a bad seizure in the street. I have no memory of what happened. I lost 3 hours of the day. One minute I was leaving my place to go to the nursing home, the next minute I woke up in hospital 3 hours later. The dr treating me rang my neuro who said to increase the Topamax to 400mg a day (which is the highest doseage of Topamax).

I had to go see the Neuro at the end of February to let him know how things were going with the Topamax increase & how I was going. At the time everything was going fine & the Neuro said he wanted me to have an MRI. I went & saw my Neuro at the end of March after I had the MRI. I'd taken 3 partial seizures since I last saw him. My Neuro had been thinking about putting me on Keppra for a while & when he heard that I was still taking seizures he has put me on Keppra 1000mg a day. The Neuro asked me how I was going on the Topamax, I told him that my memory was gradualy getting worse. There had been times that I had been forgetting things & done really silly things that I would never do. The Neuro said that memory problems were a side effect from the Topamax & he was going to see how I went on the Keppra for 4 weeks. I had to ring the Neuro 4 weeks after I started taking the Keppra & if I didn't have any side effects or seizures then we would gradualy reduce the Topamax & eventualy take me of it completely so hopefuly my memory will get a bit better. This Monday I will be reducing the Topamax by another 100mg so I will be back to 200mg.

Sorry this post is so long lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom