Go Back   Epilepsy Forum > Our House > The Lounge

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 12:28 PM
Your Host
Recent Blog: Oh poop

Thanked 2,290 Times in 817 Posts

Arrow Direct Brain-to-Game Interface Worries Scientists

Originally Posted by Wired :
Your brain might be your next videogame controller.

That might sound pretty awesome, but the prospect of brain-controlled virtual joysticks has some scientists worried that games might end up controlling our brains.

Several makers of brain-computer interfaces, or BCIs -- devices that facilitate operating a computer by thought alone -- claim the technology is poised to jump from the medical sector into the consumer gaming world in 2008.
Direct Brain-to-Game Interface Worries Scientists

The entertainment industry has driven the growth of the home computer industry for a long time. Maybe it is going to push neurofeedback into the research forefront. While I share the concerns of the scientists referenced in the article, I think the attention to issues this prospect raises is ultimately a good thing.
New to CWE? I suggest reading the proactive prescription and epilepsy 101 threads. Also check out this chart of alternative epilepsy treatments and this page on EEG Neurofeedback. More great stuff can be found in the list of the best forum threads.

Would you like to help support this forum?
Old 09-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Account Closed

Why do I have the 'urge' to watch -
"Lost in Space", "Space Odessy", "Buck
Rogers and 21st Century", "Star Wars",
etc, etc, etc?

Extremely Interesting!

Now I have the urge to do a Vulcan mind
meld on Bernard ...

Old 09-15-2007, 01:13 PM
Recent Blog: Lots of giggin'!...

They should be 'worried'...otherwise they should be in some other field of study. I mean, I would WANT scientists to be concerned about potential negative effects of anything and everything so the most informed and educated decisions could be made!
Now with THAT said...a small soap box from me will have to surface here. As Bernard mentioned, VERY good things can come from this research...but I fear this 'WORRYING' aspect by the scientists is sometimes too overwhelming for them (and particularly their funding!) to continue with any kind of speed. Unless some 'fearlessness' occurs, global warming may beat scientific research to the punch. I'm not advocating the slaughter of hordes of animals, nor am I advocating reckless science...but I am a STAUNCH supporter of ANYTHING that will get those who 'sign on the dotted line' to stop dragging their feet when possible---AND---I want clarity with respect to claims of anything that could be harmful OR beneficial so it can't so easily cause delays in the future!
Whew!...but I'm feeling MUCH better now!