Direct Brain-to-Game Interface Worries Scientists

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Bernard

Your Host
Administrator
Benefactor
Reaction score
Wired said:
Your brain might be your next videogame controller.

That might sound pretty awesome, but the prospect of brain-controlled virtual joysticks has some scientists worried that games might end up controlling our brains.

Several makers of brain-computer interfaces, or BCIs -- devices that facilitate operating a computer by thought alone -- claim the technology is poised to jump from the medical sector into the consumer gaming world in 2008.

Direct Brain-to-Game Interface Worries Scientists

The entertainment industry has driven the growth of the home computer industry for a long time. Maybe it is going to push neurofeedback into the research forefront. While I share the concerns of the scientists referenced in the article, I think the attention to issues this prospect raises is ultimately a good thing.

Why do I have the 'urge' to watch -
"Lost in Space", "Space Odessy", "Buck
Rogers and 21st Century", "Star Wars",
etc, etc, etc?

Extremely Interesting!

Now I have the urge to do a Vulcan mind
meld on Bernard ...

:evil2:

They should be 'worried'...otherwise they should be in some other field of study. I mean, I would WANT scientists to be concerned about potential negative effects of anything and everything so the most informed and educated decisions could be made!
Now with THAT said...a small soap box from me will have to surface here. As Bernard mentioned, VERY good things can come from this research...but I fear this 'WORRYING' aspect by the scientists is sometimes too overwhelming for them (and particularly their funding!) to continue with any kind of speed. Unless some 'fearlessness' occurs, global warming may beat scientific research to the punch. I'm not advocating the slaughter of hordes of animals, nor am I advocating reckless science...but I am a STAUNCH supporter of ANYTHING that will get those who 'sign on the dotted line' to stop dragging their feet when possible---AND---I want clarity with respect to claims of anything that could be harmful OR beneficial so it can't so easily cause delays in the future!
Whew!:soap::soap:...but I'm feeling MUCH better now!:)

Back
Top Bottom