Music Recommendations

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I feel like someone should sticky this, I'll be posting like a madman here.

I'll introduce an artist/band and provide a link to a youtube video of the song whenever I get access to do so, and provide a description of the sound and mood.

Since I can't post links or video yet, please just check these things out on Youtube, they won't be hard to find-- just copy/paste to search.

1) Little Tybee- "The Wind Will Blow You Love". 5 piece from Georgia. Josh Martin on guitar, he is an 8 string player who apparently is a huge influence on guitar great Tosin Abasi, of Reflux/Animals as Leaders fame. The piano player just has such a sweet, golden, heartfelt voice. The bassist and drummer set the pace and mood just right. The violin player accents parts that become just so emotionally charged. But above all they leave so much room for each other as high caliber musicians, that what comes out is just lovely and exceptionally tasteful.

If you're in the mood to smile, I recommend this one. You don't have to be a musician to appreciate the heart in this song.

2) Jon Gomm- "Passionflower". One guitar player. Transcends acoustic and electric playing. A one man band, he provides percussion using his guitar's piezo/his own hands/occasionally fingernails. A custom setup with low tuning and electronics, as well as several effects modulators and compression that's just a tad gain-y, allow a wide range of tapping and chords to be properly expressed. He also has the voice of an angel. In plain English: holy crap.

I've also never seen someone use tapped harmonics moved up full tones using the guitar's tuners and returned to normal, as part of the song's central melody and theme-- I'm sure many strings were broken in the process of writing. All while singing, doing the percussion part, and noodling on those pedals.

Good for a pick-me-up or even a cry for when you're feeling down. He writes excellent lyrics, and his delivery is flawless.

Enjoy! I'll post more if people like it. Way I see it, if anyone's going to know about truly good music, it may as well come from musicians. It's not like Nicki Minaj or Justin Bieber are poets anyway. Everyone's entitled to their own tastes and I'm not here to tell you yours is no good. But, unless you try hearing other things, you'll never know how much heart is really poured into it for really nothing more than the sake of pure and absolute self-expression.

Take the time to understand the difference between being an entertainer, and catering to an audience for the sake of making money, and being an artist, to CREATE your own audience. I will only be posting artists, if that says anything.

Oh DUH and if you like something post it here too!! Elucidate your interpretation or even just how the song makes you feel if you're up for it. I kind of wish I could go back to that simplicity for the sake of overall appreciation rather than dismantling and analyzing every aspect of sound.

Sweet
another music lover,im alittle old school ,like classic Rock the Blues and my fav is Grateful Dead....and Pink floyd for the moods.only wish my brain would let me learn to play....

Nice and thank you Nakamova, should have searched for these prior. Can I still keep this thread? Haha. I tend to come across a lot of artists just being involved with other musicians, it'd be cool to have a way to get lesser known artists out there, and I hope the descriptions do something for it. It'd be like my own little music review section. My relationship to music is almost too serious ;)

Rich956, what is holding you back? Besides the reason we're all here... I've had sessions where I could barely hold back the tremors, and one that caused a grand mal. Do I regret it? Questionable. Knowing what you listen to amplifies it mentally and emotionally.

Thanks for exposing us to new music!
You must view things with a different ear when you're able to dissect the musicality of things and pick up on little details...but it also must make you really love a good song when you hear one.
I love how music is so intimate and everybody's tastes are unique.
My dad liked to say "A day without Mozart is like a day without sunshine". I grew up listening to jazz, classical and quirky old songs and catchy tunes he would sing like "chiquita banana".
My sisters ranged from Violent Femmes to Simon and Garfunkel and my decade was the 90's and then my husband introduced me to new country so I feel like I have been exposed to much and appreciate much.
Music can get you through a day that is for sure.
Can a relationship to music be too serious? Naw.

Tangerine Dream mellows me out. I love Nina Simone and Etta James and listening to the blues. Still listen to Devo, Duran Duran, and the Romantics. The whole Seattle sound is always being played around the house.

I live in Seattle so I love it all. I have met a lot of people before they became stars.Get, down get down get down get, get down tonight ,baby. 000000000000 I love music . another one of my passions.I like "We are young" because of the energy it pours out. I feel 25 again!

another music lover,im alittle old school ,like classic Rock the Blues and my fav is Grateful Dead....and Pink floyd for the moods.only wish my brain would let me learn to play....
Amen to that! Floyd is my favorite band of all time! :rock:

I'm a "mood" guy myself. Most of the time, I rely on Pink Floyd, Coltrane, and Miles Davis. I do have my moments where I'll listen to old school punk, but I usually stick with jazz, classical, and progressive rock.

I like every thing. Except hard rock. It hurts my head. Otherwise, I would like it. I like Pink Floyd, yes,yes,yes. I just love music anyway. Musicals,classicals, Pat Benetar, I played the violin. Love that. Music is my passion. Michael Jackson. I'm a seventies woman. Oh, and Nora Jones, And songs from old movies "just singing in the rain." But right now. I just have to listen because of the vns someday I will get my voice back.

I like a kind of odd assortment... I like various metal bands (a little bit of death metal, a little bit of symphonic, a little bit of thrash, etc.), but then I'll also listen to Garbage (long-time fan), NIN (ever since PHM came out when I was in elementary school lol, AND I just bought NIN tickets today for November), Poe, Fiona Apple, Tori Amos, Regina Spektor, Birdie, Porcupine Tree, Anathema's more current stuff. Porcupine Tree is the one I got into more recently... they've been around a long time, but one of my friends had me listen to Fear of a Blank Planet a couple months ago and I got completely hooked.

And I also love Pink Floyd... grew up listening to them. My dad raised me right ;)

Another one of my favorites is The Cure. I even named one of our cats after Robert Smith. Because when we first got him he sat in the corner and cried :p We were like, "Little dude, you're Robert Smith." lol.

I'm a music lover too. I love all different types of music, it all depends on my mood. I like to listen to pandora it's a radio station that has all types of genres. You should check it out sometime. You might enjoy it.

My music tastes are quite diverse. I've sometimes wondered whether this has anything to do with my neurological differences, but after seeing others' tastes I beg to differ. I mostly listen to soundtracks and instrumental songs, and also ambient easy-listening artists. There are some louder songs I listen to, but anything too heavy or fast-paced I avoid.

I guess I should join Young Men Who Listen to Enya Anonymous.

Back
Top Bottom