The Very Best Non-Alcoholic Wine & Beer

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Endless

Even Keel
Reaction score
Okay, I'm new to a diagnosis of Epilepsy. I took it pretty well, until my doctor told me I couldn't drink.

"What?! You mean NO WINE?!"

I'm a serious oenophile. As in, a large collection of very fine wines, which I partake of on a regular basis. My family is now in for great Christmas gifts for years to come as I now dispose of it all.

But I am not willing to give up wine all together.

I can't believe there is NO fine non-alcoholic wine out there. Some winery somewhere had to take up the gauntlet and produce something fantastic. The question is, do any of us know what those labels are? Have any of you partaken of any of it? Or heard of it? At this point I'd even settle for pretty good. Same for beer.

Any suggestions?

:)

This may be worth a try...

Hello, I do like nice wines as well, or, rather, I did as I don't partake any more. Champagne is my favorite wine, but, fewer seizures are even better. :)

I've tried the O'Douls and also the Budweiser NA. I really can't tell the difference in the taste of this and regular beer. They are okay on a hot, summer day with a burger.

So far, no luck in the wine department.

I do enjoy Tonic Water and sometimes add a bit of lime to it and may try it with a salted rim-love salt-occasionally. I read something about the quinine in tonic water as a help in epilepsy.

Since I don't like soda's, fruit juices, I live on water, carbonated water with lime, tonic water and would so appreciate other suggestions for drinks without the sweet taste.

Anyone?

Oh, by not willing to give up wine, I meant I'm going to substitute non-alcoholic wine. I've given up alcohol for good. Nothing is worth having a seizure. Not even a glass of champagne. So now a good non-alcoholic wine is my new quest. But I guess that's kind of a silly request because it's a quest for a good glass of grape juice. darn. Maybe I'll just have to become a non-alcoholic beer aficianado.

I'm huge on iced tea. I keep a big pitcher in frig. I like Tzao tea's green tea which has some mint in it.

Here's my super-secret recipie for my famous virgin bloody mary's, just for you. The secret is it has to be FRESH. I like it on Summer Sunday morning brunches. :)

6 lbs very large fresh off the vine heirloom tomatoes
The kernels from 8 ears of fresh corn, cut off the cobb
1 celery stick

put the above ingredients through the juicer

Add the below (adjust amounts to taste) and blend in the blender
1/2 tsp Wasabi powder
1/2 tsp salt

Pour in glass over ice with salted rim - or unsalted rim, your choice
Add a skewer of fresh tiny baby veggies, blanched so they are tender and chilled

YUM

Last edited:
I have not found any acceptable substitute for a good (alcoholic) wine. I have spent some time in the middle east, where there isn't any alcohol at all. After a while, you adapt and find other interests. :twocents:

Limoncello anyone?

Hi, Bernard,

Point taken, but, having spent a lot of time in Europe, and finding wonderful wines and liquors to try, I think it is interesting to try a different wines just as it's fun to try different foods. And, a lovely glass of wine can enhance that French meal beautifully.

I have never been more than a very light social drinker, but, some people do collect fine wines just as others collect stamps, coins, antiques and so on. I know a lot of people who love to sip a fine Bordeaux in that region in France and elsewhere.

I don't think there's anything wrong with an interest in wines or beers. There's a true art to building a fine product.

As with anything, prescription drugs, food, shopping, excess is usually a detriment. :)

Now, if anyone has a recipe for an alcoholic free Limoncello...I'd love it!

I am really tired of drinking water and hope for more input. :)

Cheers!

Last edited:
Oooh, this sounds good!

Oh, by not willing to give up wine, I meant I'm going to substitute non-alcoholic wine. I've given up alcohol for good. Nothing is worth having a seizure. Not even a glass of champagne. So now a good non-alcoholic wine is my new quest. But I guess that's kind of a silly request because it's a quest for a good glass of grape juice. darn. Maybe I'll just have to become a non-alcoholic beer aficianado.

I'm huge on iced tea. I keep a big pitcher in frig. I like Tzao tea's green tea which has some mint in it.

Here's my super-secret recipie for my famous virgin bloody mary's, just for you. The secret is it has to be FRESH. I like it on Summer Sunday morning brunches. :)

6 lbs very large fresh off the vine heirloom tomatoes
The kernels from 8 ears of fresh corn, cut off the cobb
1 celery stick

put the above ingredients through the juicer

Add the below (adjust amounts to taste) and blend in the blender
1/2 tsp Wasabi powder
1/2 tsp salt

Pour in glass over ice with salted rim - or unsalted rim, your choice
Add a skewer of fresh tiny baby veggies, blanched so they are tender and chilled

YUM

This sounds really good and very refreshing. I have an artist friend coming South to enjoy this gorgeous weather we are having. I think he'll love it!
Since we're in Arizona, right now, a nice baked egg dish with spicy vegetables, and a bit of cheese and sour cream on top with a slice of avocado may be perfect for brunch with this drink.
Thanks for sharing.

I'd like to come up with some other caffeine-free, cold drinks for summer.
Iced Tea has become so tiresome...it's hard to find really good, sugar free, decaffeinated drinks.

Perhaps I should start another thread...cool, summer, non-alcoholic drinks?

Thanks again, I'll try this recipe!
Cheers!

Last edited:
Wasabi...had to look it up!

from Wikipedia:Wasabi (ワサビ(山葵)?, originally 和佐比; Wasabia japonica, Cochlearia wasabi, or Eutrema japonica) is a member of the Brassicaceae family, which includes cabbages, horseradish and mustard. Known as "Japanese horseradish", its root is used as a spice and has an extremely strong flavor. Its hotness is more akin to that of a hot mustard rather than the capsaicin in a chili pepper, producing vapors that stimulate the nasal passages more than the tongue. The plant grows naturally along stream beds in mountain river valleys in Japan. There are also other species used, such as W. koreana, and W. tetsuigi. The two main cultivars in the marketplace are W. japonica cv. 'Daruma' and cv. 'Mazuma', but there are many others.[1]

I love horseradish and have even grown it! No wonder this drink is so good...now I'm really ready to try it. Yum!!

Thanks for the recipe!!! :) You're a dear for sharing this!

That looks good, Bernard

That's so funny you showed this exact tea, Bernard. I looked at it just this morning in the grocery store!

Perhaps we should start another thread...delicious, healthy drink options.

It may be fun to try to come up with some chilled coffee based drinks, and also a chilled fruit, carbonated water drink. A friend of mine told me of a root beer flavor that she adds to carbonated water and adds a bit of vanilla. But, as she pointed out, root beer is naturally caffeine free and one get it sugarless. :)

Perhaps some raspberries in the blender, and???? and then poured over ice chips?

Love the ideas, thanks to you both!

btw, have I hijacked your thread? Sorry if it seems so! :)

No Moonshine. Sorry, guys.

Where in the world do you all live? That all sounds too fancy for around here. Now don't assume that everyone in West Virginia drinks home-made Moonshine. We don't. We drink Coke. Oh, tip: check out the Coke machine at Krogers. You can get one for a quarter! Cheapest in town. But don't tell them I told you. They'll raise the rate! :pfft:

Where? Well, in my town we have a bunch of terrible wine and food snobs. But we aren't snobby. You are more likely to see an REI label than you are Gucci, and most people wear polar fleece to the office. :)

Artist - Wasabi is that really HOT green paste they serve with your sushi at japanese restaurants. You can get it from most Asian/Japanese grocery stores. Don't get the premade stuff in tubes. It's not as good. The best stuff from the store it actually starts as a green powder in a can. It's mixed with water to make that green paste. For the drink I just add it in powder form. Add a little at a time, whirring in the blender for about a minute inbetween and then taste, then add more. Because if you add too much by accident it'll blow your head off. It makes the drink hot without that peculiar taste of peppers that tabasco sauce has.

Bernard - Tazo tea is my favorite! Your wife has excellent taste! It's the green w/mint referenced above. I like their tropical, too! Ice tea is the best! Trader Joe's used to have a lot of varieties that would make great iced tea, but for some reason they quit carrying them. Oh, well. Some Walmarts carry Tazo tea, some don't. Wish they all did because the price is right there.

On another note, I was at costco today and saw that they carry O'Douls non-alcoholic beer by the case. Things are looking up for this summer!

Last edited:
There's some good alcohol free beers about. I prefer Becks. It has the taste of proper Becks, although perhaps a little more "hoppy".

If i'm going to a friends house i'll buy a bottle of "wine". Well, not really, but it looks like it, comes in a fancy bottle and is surprisingly cheap for a glorified grape juice :woot: I hate people nagging me to drink alcohol when i don't really feel like explaining my medical history.

If i'm out in the pub, i generally have either alcohol free cocktails or just some coke. I'm a cheap night out :D

Seeking to speak with folks who are looking for DA wine

Hi there!

I am a proprietor working on a new nonalcoholic wine and am reading about your quest to find a good DA wine.

I'd love to connect with you all if you want to contact me via PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had to add a story about wasabi that may bring a smile to some:

a work-Xmas party at one of these meat-skewer open buffet type restaurants (Tejas de Brazil), a sushi buffet section among other sections, and a fellow employee confusing a big chipful of wasabi for guacamole...
enough said

oh no! Bet his sinuses cleared out in a hurry.

I made a similar mistake when I was a kid -- we had a"passover" meal at my kindergarten. I took a big spoonful of what I thought was mashed potatoes -- it was horseradish. An educational experience, fer sure.

Dealcoholized Wines

I've been experimenting with ginger ale and add-ins, like Pom or unsweetened cranberry juice. A virgin bloody mary is a particular favorite of mine, rather like a tasty salad in a glass. I bought some dealcoholized wine online from a California winery called Ariel. They claim to be the only wine to win a gold medal in competition with wines with alcohol. I haven't tried it yet out of fear of triggering a seizure, but I had my first O'Doul's last night with no problems today, so I may pop the Chardonnay open one of these days. They have a Cabernet Sauvignon, too, but I can't believe it will be like the real thing.

I just checked out Amazon for non-alcoholic wines and it seems like Ariel and Sutter Home Fre are the two big manufacturers. There were mixed reviews on the taste with both brands. Some people loved it and others said it tasted like plain grape juice. Would you say the Ariel you bought is on the dryer or the sweeter side?

Oh, and it looks like Ariel is way cheaper on their website than on Amazon. And they ship to Hawaii, yay!

I tried the Rouge tonight and decided it was better with a steak than water. Really not bad at all, rather like a light Beaujolais Nouveau. On the dryer side, but lighter bodied, not much fruitiness, and a slight buttery finish. I have been afraid to try any alcohol at all, but so far so good. I have a bottle of the Cabernet, too, which I'm hoping will be nice and dry and full bodied. I had not seen any other choices, I will check them out. I have so missed wine. I would rather have given up chocolate cake!

I just ordered a case of the cabernet. They are only offering the cab and the chardonnay. But even including the trans-pacific shipping, it came out to 12 bucks a bottle which is what basic table wine costs at the supermarket here.

I don't miss the alcohol but I think I miss the whole ritual of pulling the cork, pouring it out swirling it around, etc.

Back
Top Bottom