The Very Best Non-Alcoholic Wine & Beer

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Exactly, AlohaBird. I have had to make due with catching a whiff of whatever my friends are having. I'm thinking the Rouge might be good in a sangria or added to hot apple cider with mulling spices.

You know when I poked around on the Ariel site a little more I discovered that what they are calling a cabernet is really a blend, mostly cab but with some merlot and shiraz too. So it's basically "rouge". Pinot noir is my favorite but any old rouge will do.

Non-alcoholic sangria sounds like a great idea. Drinking booze in the sunshine always gave me a headache anyway

I can't even drink a BUSH N/A because my family flips out cause it has 0.5 % alcohol in it...my mom is such a Nazi about it all....my sister gangs up on me as well...is any of this stuff completely alcohol free that I can show them on the label? lol

The Ariel wine is the same, 0.5% You would have to drink the whole bottle to get like 1/2 teaspoon full of alcohol.

I like at the end of a hot day. A white Zinfandel with cheese and crackers. Or a nice salad with 1 glass of wine. It does not bug my seizures, but hardly ever drink. The most is 1 glass a week.

Well my case of Ariel arrived today. Pretty good turnaround for shipping all the way to Hawaii but they do it FedEx.

So, if you are expecting it to taste just like wine, you will be disappointed. But if you are looking for a pleasant wine-like beverage to fill that wine shaped hole next to your bowl of salad and plate of medium rare T-bone, this works.

Minimal calories and carbs. It's not sweet grape juicy tasting at all.

Bottom line. It's not wine but it's good. I like it.

I drink on a rare occasion. Maybe a small glass of wine or a shot with food. It has never caused any problems (even though I'm afraid it will). I find that iced tea causes more problems because of the caffiene. For better or worse, my epilepsy is weird. I almost never have an all out seizure, just auras all the time (which are little seizures). So, I start feeling funky a long time before I end up on the floor. I haven't felt weird after a drink, at least not seizure-wise. On the few occasions I got a little happy (it doesn't take much), I didn't experience any epilepsy problems. Maybe I should let myself drink more.

I think you know your body better than any Dr. But talk to him or her about it. I used to drink serious tequila. I had a lot of fun but those days are over. I LOVE WINE.BUT ONLY1 GLASS AFTER MY SON HAS A MELT DOWN AND I NEED TO RELAX. listen TO YOUR BODY AND YOU DOC. BE HONEST TO.lOVE TERESA

I cannot drink at all. It causes me seizures.

I can drink water and I love Tazo tea. :roflmao:

Last edited:
Well my case of Ariel arrived today. Pretty good turnaround for shipping all the way to Hawaii but they do it FedEx.

So, if you are expecting it to taste just like wine, you will be disappointed. But if you are looking for a pleasant wine-like beverage to fill that wine shaped hole next to your bowl of salad and plate of medium rare T-bone, this works.

Minimal calories and carbs. It's not sweet grape juicy tasting at all.

Bottom line. It's not wine but it's good. I like it.

Hi Aloha Bird and other non alcohol peeps,

Just to tag along to what you wrote. Finding a nice non alcoholic wine is very challenging and some, especially the Fre brand, trigger extremely bad headaches for me. (Just a heads up for peeps re: that).

The one brand that I have found to be pretty consistently decent is, as you say, Ariel. I especially found their Merlot to be really superior to the rest. The Chardonnay is also, imho, their best white. I've served the Merlot and my 'real wine' drinking friends truly loved the taste. (Though I suspect they missed the buzz)

:)

Confessions: I drink a beer sometimes. I used to love wine, but now I get headaches. I don't even want to know what wine and my thirties would do. BUT, I even put that on my doctor charts and he has yet to say anything. I mean, that means I haven't had a beer since December and probably won't have one until the end of the semester.

Is even having a little bit of alcohol incredibly bad?!

:dontknow:

Most doctors will say that.i drink alcohol but not give myself head achen

Hi Aloha Bird and other non alcohol peeps,

Just to tag along to what you wrote. Finding a nice non alcoholic wine is very challenging and some, especially the Fre brand, trigger extremely bad headaches for me. (Just a heads up for peeps re: that).

The one brand that I have found to be pretty consistently decent is, as you say, Ariel. I especially found their Merlot to be really superior to the rest. The Chardonnay is also, imho, their best white. I've served the Merlot and my 'real wine' drinking friends truly loved the taste. (Though I suspect they missed the buzz)

:)
I wonder if the headaches could be the result of sulfates used in the processing. :ponder: I haven't tried the Fre brand but I have gotten both the Chardonnay and the Cabernet from Ariel's website. I wish I knew where they sell their other flavors. Anybody know?

Non alcoholic wine just grape juice.the fermentation makes it wine.i drink anything but never ott never get drunk or want to be I will get most awful head ache.
is it just case know your limited press common sense button and don't let e take over everything

I still drink, I've done so for 6 years, and pretty heavily, without causing any problems. I guess everyone's different in their triggers and tolerances. What I do do though is drink water between drinks to try and keep myself hydrated, eat plenty to keep my blood sugars up and make sure I've nothing planned for the next day as a just incase.
My epileptologist said it was all experimental, and that some people have absolutely no issues.

But if one is drinking fairly regularly and having seizures fairly regularly, how would one know if there were a causal relationship or not?

I never knew my alcohol intake was problem until I stopped (decided to get into bodybuilding back in the day).

Alcohol is poisonous to the human body and especially the brain. That is why it gets moved to the head of the line to get metabolized (why you "feel" a drink almost immediately after ingestion). Some people are young enough and otherwise healthy enough that they manage to get away with this *for a time* but it is never good for anybody or even benign.

I still drink, I've done so for 6 years, and pretty heavily, without causing any problems. I guess everyone's different in their triggers and tolerances. What I do do though is drink water between drinks to try and keep myself hydrated, eat plenty to keep my blood sugars up and make sure I've nothing planned for the next day as a just incase.
My epileptologist said it was all experimental, and that some people have absolutely no issues.

so do i.

it was a long road learning tho.

Id have 1 or 2 drinks for a long, long time before i went to 3. After doing 1-2 for maybe a year, i went to 3, at 3 for a year i have gone to 4.......but only on New years, my birthday and when i bought a BMW after only having a DL for 2.5yrs our of 6.

But on any given month, ill drink once a weekend, maybe. In the summers my family has a cottage on a lake with a boat. Ill drink every other weekend than. But no drinks til after dinner and only 3.........& only beer.

Beer is for football and baseball. I like the sports, don't like the beer. Love solves all in the heart.

Back
Top Bottom