Is 15/16 late onset for occipital lobe generalised epilepsy?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Myshkin

New
Reaction score
I have been wondering, having my head stuck in historical texts and modern academic papers on epilepsy for a few days, whether my case is peculiar in terms of onset. I've ruled out JME, of course, but I haven't noticed many cases of onset beyond the age of ten or so. The prognosis for later onset cases looks gloomy. I'd like to hear from other epileptics whether such matters are just due to gloomy doctors or whether it is as uncommon and degenerative as it appears.

Not sure how many CWE members have occipital lobe seizures, since it is on the rare side. Since you've been doing a deep dive into the research, you've probably come across studies that link some forms to coeliac disease. Any chance that applies to you? Have you tried a gluten-free diet to see if it helps?

Hi Myshkin,

I started having absence seizure at age 10 then by age 12 I started having complex partial seizures also and I would see different colors of the rainbow flashing back and forth in my eyes but I was still conscious. When it got really bad for me was when I was around 14 yrs. old and that was because a lot of the seizures were hormone related and once the hormones started changing each month the seizures started for the worse.
Often occipital lobe seizures come from trauma, genetics or a bad blow to the head. My case it was trauma and to many cells went over to one side of the brain and never dissolved which in turn left scar tissue on my brain but I didn't have a seizure until I was 10 yrs. old. Keep away from processed foods, anything with nutra sweet or aspartame in it and cut back on the carbs and starch foods and you will see a difference. I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I've been having simple partials since I was little. I describe them as "a weird feeling starting in the back of the right side of my head"--they weren't diagnosed as seizures until one occurred during an EEG after some tonic clonics. A CT scan showed scar tissue in the area that often said they seemed to start. I was a forceps delivery, & that is probably the what caused it. My complex partials started about 20 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom