2 questions- side effect & seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

kimba

New
Reaction score
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone ever had there "heart racing" as a side effect of a medication? (zonegran right now). I went from 100 mg. to 150 mg. & it's not anxiety, just my heat seems to be racing very fast.

And also, I had a very Scary seizure (I think) Sunday. I had a LOT of stress going on. All I remember is going to sit on my couch, then I woke up (kind of dangling off the couch). But while I was out, which was not long, it was pitch black, like I was "inside my head" & heard horrible noise for a couple seconds, then kept thinking to myself "oh my God, what is going on, where am I, I'm I insane or something?". All this within seconds only of snapping out of it. Only reason I know is because when I came to, I was watching "The Watch" on Lifetime which I saw a bunch of times already and it pretty much was in the same scene still so it could not have been long. It was just scary while it was happening. Does that sound like some type of seizure? I've had tonic-clonic & one where I literally "lost" 30 minutes of time but I dont even remember those at all. Thank you to anyone!!!

Kim

Hi Kimba,

I'm not able to answer you question about Zonegran because that is one medication that I've never tried, but other meds have done that to me.

Your "episode" on Sunday sounds like a seizure to me. A simple partial seizure. I've had CP seizures before where I can remember parts of it right before the seizure, or the "aura". Usually, I don't remember what happens during the CP seizure or tonic/clonic seizures at all.

You mentioned "hearing a horrible noise for a couple of seconds". Has happed to me and, yes, you wonder "Am I going insane?". I have Temporal Lobe Epilepsy and this kind of auditory hallucination is a side effect. As with you, it passes very quickly after having heard a loud menacing voice. So brief like your experience, so that nothing can be made out. Knowing it's origin has taken the power of fear away.

Seizures with sound

Hi, Yes I too have experienced seizures with sound. I actually just posted in the kitchen area last night because they were freaking me out since I've only had them 3x in my history with seizures. Mine is actually loud and it rattles me right up and out of it. It's like an alarm clock going off in my head but it's mostly static. It's like I'm hearing my brain short circuit and it only last a few seconds. Not a good feeling nor a pleasant sound.
I can't help you with the Zonegram question since I've never taken that med.
GOOD LUCK AND BE WELL

Hey Kimba --

I was on Zonegran last year, and the pre-seizure breakthroughs I had on it were different from any previous seizures I'd had. The sensation was a bit like when you nod off in a classroom for a second, then snap awake again, but in that single second is a very intense dream with sound and imagery. I call them "pre-seizure breakthroughs" because after having a few of them over the course of a couple of weeks, I did eventually have a full-on tonic-clonic. The Zonegran actually CAUSED the seizures because it gave me low blood sugar (a seizure trigger for me). I don't know if it's having the same effect on you, but it does sound like it's worth checking with you neuro about.

Best,
Nakamova

The sensation was a bit like when you nod off in a classroom for a second, then snap awake again, but in that single second is a very intense dream with sound and imagery. I call them "pre-seizure breakthroughs" because after having a few of them over the course of a couple of weeks, I did eventually have a full-on tonic-clonic.

Nakamova- I am brand new to epilepsy. Had a seizure in April then again in August. I don't even think I have any 'auras' but dang, I could have written that. I have had those same sorts of sensations and never was able to articulate how it feels. You hit the nail on the head! I will try to be more aware of any strange happenings.

I am on day 7 of lamictal xr and haven't noticed any side affects yet. Knock on wood. Hope you feel better soon kimba.

Back
Top Bottom