2 Seizures and a bit worried.

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

pianoguy

New
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Backstory

Let me just say I was lurking this forum while on bed rest for about a week and I've really learned a lot about Epilepsy. The support and knowledge here is quite amazing.

2 weeks ago I had strep throat. I don't usually get sick but I managed to pick it up from somewhere. I went into the urgent care and was put on Zithromax. Pretty standard. That entire week I felt a little "off" but thought nothing of it. 2 days later (Friday 7th of July) I was outside my home talking to a friend when apparently I said to her "I don't feel good I'm going to go now" while we where in the middle of a conversation. (I don't recall any of this) what I do remember was being extremely nauseous and dizzy. I've never felt like that before. I then went into a seizure, hit my head pretty hard on the concrete. I woke up to her crying and panicking if I was ok. (lot of blood from the head injury though the cut was small) This made me panic because I didn't know why she was waking me up from my sleep. (I was really out of it) She got me back inside where I had another seizure. This one though I knew the onset. I felt scared right before it happened and extremely dizzy and nauseous.

After lots of tests, 2 MRI's , Spinal Tap, (and a blood patch because the spinal tap caused me to have amazing headaches and loss of balance) and a "well we're not sure what's wrong but you should be ok in a couple of weeks" I'm here.. I have no health insurance and my bills are about 11k so far. (I Run my own small business)

Questions

I have not had another seizure that I'm aware of. However I've been getting that nauseous feeling along with the feeling of fear. It really has me a bit worried. This week it came on strong, I laid down on the floor and after 20 minutes it went away. I did however throw up right afterwards. Nobody was home but there was no loss of time. I cleared the floor because I'm worried I'll fall on something.

Today I've had some dizzy spells on and off. They come and go. I have a loss of balance, my vision gets a bit blurry then after a bit I'm ok.

Do you think I'm just recovering from a head injury or could this be the start of epilepsy? I run a small business that I'm currently selling so funds are low but I've put aside money to go to a Neurologist. I will take me about 4 weeks to save up what I think I'll need. (Estimating about 1k) I wished I could just go in for more tests, but that isn't an option at the moment.

Also I'm worried that I might chock on my throw up if I go into a seizure. I really don't want to go out that way. I know this may seem a little extreme but I've just never dealt with anything like this before. I try to lay on my side, is there anything else I should do?

Thanks so much and sorry if this post was a bit long.

EDIT:

One more thing I've had headaches on and off ever since. I never suffered from headaches before this.

Last edited:
It's possible that you had a reaction to the Azithromyacin.
The side effects do include: Nervousness, Headaches, Nausea, Dizziness, Balance Issues... among other things.

Something to note: It takes about four to five weeks for most anti-biotics to clear out of your system, so if it is a reaction to it, it'll lessen over the next few weeks until it's completely flushed out of your system.

Since your MRI's were clear, you can rule out something like a tumor. So no worries there. :)

Since you had a head injury, as you noted yourself, you could be recovering from an injury like a concussion. That is the most likely the source of your headaches, at least.

If it is epilepsy, it's likely deeper in your brain around the area of the Amygdala. That's the gland which controls the flight/fight response, so a seizure in that area can trigger feelings of fear. It's also located pretty much in the middle of your brain, so if it were to spread, it could spread in any direction and cause different effects, or spread in all directions and induce the tonic-clonic (fully convulsive) seizures you had.
Of course, you'd need an EEG to confirm that, but that's my gut feeling about where it would be stemming from. :)

As far as choking on vomit goes... I wouldn't worry about it. Personally, I've never heard of anyone having that, plus it seems like you throw up *after* your seizures, by your description. If you throw up after your seizures, despite being unconscious, your body will naturally clear the airway by coughing. Laying on your side opens the airway as well, so if it brings you comfort, by all means do that. :) It's a good idea anyway, just to help out with breathing and such.

Best advice I can give you...
First off, relax and calm down. Stress makes everything worse, and you can't make clear decisions when you're tense and worn out. I know it's scary, but you need to find some means or way of calming yourself so you can make good judgment calls. :)

Secondly, keep a journal of what's been happening and when. It'll help the doctors, and it may help you find causes or triggers for what's happening. Anything you can do to make the most out of a doctors appointment is good, considering you don't have insurance, so I'd encourage you to keep track of what's been happening.

Lastly, if you have the time, continue browsing the forum and learning. :)
Being knowledgable about your condition, and being proactive in your treatment can make all the difference in the world. :)

Oh... and welcome to CWE! :D

Thank you so much for the quick and very thought out response. :)

I do tend to over stress. Running my business can be extremely stressful and of course this to boot has had me a little on edge.

I had no idea antibiotics took that long to clear out of your system. That may very well be the culprit.

My memory has been a bit shot as of late so I'll start up a journal as suggested.

Edit:

Interesting about the fight or flight response. My friend stated right after my first seizure after regaining some consciousnesses I stood up quickly repeated and said "I have to go" but of course, had nowhere to go. During my second seizure I didn't recognize where I was or who she was and had an urge to want to leave apparently. As the minutes went on it felt as if my brain was "booting" back up and I felt normal again.

Last edited:
Well I had another seizure Thursday night :( Right after the seizure I bolted from bed and went into the kitchen. Once in the kitchen I wasn't honestly sure why I went there in the first place. My neck felt sore and I was generally exhausted. After I went back to bed I slept almost 13 hours which I haven't done since being a teenager. I woke up with a headache.

I had a feeling one was going to come on. Before bed I felt a few "electric shocks" to my leg and arm. I also saw stars and just generally felt odd right before falling asleep.

I have a doctors appointment scheduled on Monday. I've created a journal as suggested that includes recent events, blood work copies etc so my doctor and quickly see what's been going on. I spoke to a Neurologist center close by that offers discounts for those with no Insurance. Hopefully I'll start getting some answers, I just don't understand why this has come out of nowhere.

I know it's easier said than done but you definitely need to reduce your stress level as it can bring about more seizures and other health concerns you don't need. If you had a head injury and have a concussion, it can certainly bring about nausea and vomiting, plus stress will do that too.

Do you live alone? If someone is there with you, maybe they can help when you have a seizure. If not, have neighbors check in on you everyday if you can and if you're worried about choking, sleep on your side. I've alwas been side sleeper so it's not a big thing for me. Keep the diary and also keep a diary of when you have symptoms of nausea and vomiting & what you were doing right before and what meds you took right before in case the meds are making you sick and report everything to your doctor.

I didn't have insurance when I first got sick but now I have the Oregon Health plan, saved my life. Check into different insurance plans and see what you can afford.

I hope you get better

Thanks Angel. I'm usually on my own at home. I primarily sleep on my back but have made an effort to sleep on my side.

I have a check in system going with my family. I'm also online often as per my business so should pop away from the computer for an extended period of time someone will normally call my phone.

Stress no doubt doesn't help with all of this. I do my best to try and wind down as much as possible at night, playing the piano, relaxing music etc.

You know I've heard others talk about their computer screens being an issue as they flash and you don't realize it. I heard them say you can get a non flashy kind. I remember reading someones post that said extended computer time is what triggered his first seizure.

Thanks Angel. I'm usually on my own at home. I primarily sleep on my back but have made an effort to sleep on my side.

I have a check in system going with my family. I'm also online often as per my business so should pop away from the computer for an extended period of time someone will normally call my phone.

Stress no doubt doesn't help with all of this. I do my best to try and wind down as much as possible at night, playing the piano, relaxing music etc.

With my spouse working out of state I'm at home alone. The check in system is a great idea/plan. Between my husband, parents and a friend, a phone in every room, even the bathrooms and my service dog I feel much more secure than I used to. If they don't get phone calls and/or ims regularly they are on top of me.

Silat gave good info esp about the vomiting. I vomit quite a bit during my nocturnals. I now sleep on my left side, trash can beside the bed and I arranged the bedroom so I can go straight to the bathroom from the bed. It seems that the body knows what to do to keep you from dying on your own vomit. I speak from experience...even tho I'm seizing and vomiting some part of me manages to spew it out and I often "come to awareness" in the bathroom having just thrown up. In other words I'm like where am i, what's going on. Oh, I guess I seized and vomited again. Clean myself up, change into fresh bed clothes and cuddle up with the dog.

You know I've heard others talk about their computer screens being an issue as they flash and you don't realize it. I heard them say you can get a non flashy kind. I remember reading someones post that said extended computer time is what triggered his first seizure.

Changing the brightness level helped me alot. I'm still not able to be in front of the monitors in my home office for extended periods without causing sz or migraines. I've found that using the laptops is easier on me.

Same with the tv. I was in the office working earlier with the tv on and news came on with either an ambulance or police cars with flashing lights and I nearly lost it. I wasn't watching the tv but the tv news lights to my side and reflecting off the monitors did it.

An action movie or high graphic show will also do it. Course they diagnosed me as photo sensitive.

Funny note...my eye dr looked into my eye with his light and I seized. He refused to finish the exam and when I got a copy of my neuro dr file later it had a letter in it from the eye dr. Dear Dr. Neuro, your nice epileptic patient was at my office today. She seized and I'm not seeing her again til you fix her! :roflmao:

That's what's happened with me. I've become "aware" each time I actually throw up. I suppose it was a concern that I feel a bit better about.

I've also done the same thing, kept the house clean etc etc. After having seizures I looked at my house in a new light and thought, "there's a whole lot of things in here that I could smack my head on"

I've got lots of good friends supporting my through this. We all have a good sense of humor. My close friend "Well there's light at the end of the tunnel... well except you, it could be another seizure" I know that's really morbid and I mean no offence to anyone here, but it was the first time I laughed in a while.

She seized and I'm not seeing her again til you fix her! :roflmao:

Poor guy! lol

You really are sensitive to light. I'm a huge geek and I actually use a program called F.Lux It adjust the color and brightness of my monitors depending on what time of day it is. It helps keep the strain down. I also use LCD vs traditional 60hz monitors.

That's what's happened with me. I've become "aware" each time I actually throw up. I suppose it was a concern that I feel a bit better about.

I've also done the same thing, kept the house clean etc etc. After having seizures I looked at my house in a new light and thought, "there's a whole lot of things in here that I could smack my head on"

I've got lots of good friends supporting my through this. We all have a good sense of humor. My close friend "Well there's light at the end of the tunnel... well except you, it could be another seizure" I know that's really morbid and I mean no offence to anyone here, but it was the first time I laughed in a while.

I'm glad it helped you feel better. I had a huge fear I was going to be found dead on my own vomit, but I'm used to it now.

And yesssssssssss seizure proof your house. I've been found twice laying on the kitchen floor bleeding after dragging my head down a microwave and kitchen counter corners.

As to the humor, laughing about it helps me. My parents and husband are used to my "about my epilepsy" jokes. I often excuse my behavior by saying, look my brain is already screwed up I'm working on going nuts is all! :banana:

Back
Top Bottom