absence seizures!!

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

gillianh

New
Reaction score
hey everyone. I was diagnosed with absence seizures when i was 16 yrs old. i am now 23. ive been on almost every medicine- depakote, topamax, keppra, lamictal, ethosuximide, and now im on zonogran. i have not been able to control my seizures with any of these medications. i just had a baby a couple months ago and its getting more and more difficult to function with seizures and especially not being able to drive. any advice? does anyone know of any medications i can try to control these seizures? from what i hear they are the most difficult to control...

thanks!!

Welcome Gillianh!!

I have absence seizures as well.. And have two little girls one is two and the other is 11 months and I JUST started having them (Last week as far as I know.. maybe a month to a year ago).. I am on topamax and suffer from a year and a half long (every day) migraine. Topamax was to treat the migraine and if it can help the pain but not control the seizure.. I think I'm ok, but I think the migraine sets the seizure's off (sounds crazy, I know).

But if you've tried it all, what is left? That's a serious amount of different kinds of an-seizure meds to try. (In my personal opinion).

Have you kept a personal journal of what you've taken? If not I would start to (I know that is a lot to do with a baby.)

Also, eating the right foods and staying hydrated can help (as if you didn't know SORRY IF YOU DO!) I'm allergic to so many things and still forget to eat and drink enough water witch I think sets off my migraines that then sets off a seizure.. (see the cycle?)

So as hard as it is, proper care of you is JUST as important at this point too, ok?

I'm not a doctor so I don't know anything about meds, but I know there are people on here who can help, just give it time. They have to read this and with all us having lives and seizures and what not, it takes time. So try to be patient. We are here for you!!

All my best,
Abi

Abi thanks for ur reply. Yes I've taken so many different meds and to be honest in beginning to feel like there's no hope...ive recently rea about a ketogenic diet and g.a.r.d.s diet. Do u know anything about them? I've basically kept a pretty low carb diet my entire life and began exercising last yr.. Im willing to try anything

Thanks

Gillianh-

Your welcome! That is the diet my family and I use in general (my parents the most) because of health issues and it helps with so many things like detoxing the body and helping your introduce certain foods back with out a system overload. And for some it can cause weight loss too. Its hard to stick to since its strict, but its been so much better on my body and I'm not broken out in hives. I'm eating the food from this diet but not cleansing that first week the way I probably should. All in all, best option I've seen yet and I've seen my family do it for a few years. They are starting there 3ed year this year and starting from the starting point again.
I used to suffer from joint pain and swelling and being a bit bigger than I wanted and then I started eating the food from this diet and my body feels better, no more swollen joints, no more hives and no more extra weight! I feel so much better when I eat good for me foods. Yes I occasionally have a treat but not too often.
And as far as exersize, getting my heart rate up makes my head hurt and when my head hurts I have to rest on the couch more... so basic simple slow walking for me :) do what you can and don't kick your self for not being where you wish you were!

I hope this helps! All my best and a hug,
Abi

Last edited:
I've had epilepsy for 9 years now. I've been on so many different meds, dosages and combinations that I can't even begin to list.

The ones that I'm on now, which I've been on for about a year, seem to be working pretty good. I'm still having seizures, about 5 a month, this is down from 5 a week when I was first diagnosed. The seizures I'm having aren't as bad as they were either. I'm still having ones where I black out during, but not as many of those either.

On my last appointment my neuro suggested a new med that he was thinking about putting me on and taking me off one of the other ones, but he wants to find out a little more about the med first. Here I go again......

It's frustrating it know.

I too have absence seziures, I was 1st. put on Dilantin and Phenobarbital. It has also taken two meds. to control my seiz. Around 2003 I was given about all the NEW meds. out there.

I ask to put on dilan. & Phenobarbital. My Neur agreed to put back on Dilantin but refused to put back Phenob.

Since 2005 I have be taken Dilan. and Clonazepam (Kloplin) I have less seizures on this combo.

Clonazepam is addictive med. I did not know that at the time.

Please go into all the forums and get all the inform. you can.

are ur absence controlled now? i feel so hopeless like they are never fully going to be controlled. ive been on so many different meds and so far nothing has worked...

i have absence seizures along with plenty others uncontrolled i didn't think they could control these ones if they tried.i wont go into wat i havetaken and has failed to many on 5 aeds right now not sure which one is for these seizures.

are ur absence controlled now? i feel so hopeless like they are never fully going to be controlled. ive been on so many different meds and so far nothing has worked...

Being on Dilantin and Clonazepam has my seizures under control more than any other meds.

The only time I have a seizure now is if I take a meds. like an antib. or vit. B12, folic acid the list goes on. Now I know to watch for these triggers.

Back
Top Bottom