advice on seizures and no insurance while visiting a third world country?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
So I have had two seizure lasting longer than 5 minutes, that I am aware of. Possibly more I just have a time line that shows longer.
One lasted at minimum 45 minutes before I came out of it. The other one I was going in and out of seizures for six hours. I was at the hospital during this time, unaware that I had seizures at the time they thought it was psychological.

Well for the third time in two years I am traveling out of the country to a third world country south of Mexico next month. I'm so excited and am not cancelling. Out of the question.

But I don't have insurance and have been having more seizures these last couple months which worries me that I may have another seizure that lasts longer than 5 minutes or keep having them over and over. My medication hasn't been helping at all (if it ever did) but I don't have insurance nor 300 to pay out of pocket to see the neurologist to get new medication before the trip (I didn't pay for the trip my chcurch did). Being in a third world country having that type of episode wouldn't be ideal.i will have travelers insurance but let's be honest, how helpful would that actually be in that situation?

So any advice on getting in and a medication adjustment? Medications to ask for? Anything I could get that could stop a seizure in its tracks should I have one that lasts longer than 5 minutes? Like an epi pen for seizures?

My neuro has given me an rX for a small amount of Ativan to take with me when I travel -- just in case I have a seizure somewhere far from a hospital. Maybe you can get a free "sample size" rX for ativan or valium from your regular doc or your neuro?

When I was on a group trip in Mexico, a member of the group fell off a horse and broke her collarbone. She was taken to the nearest little clinic, got X-rays, an overnight stay, pain meds, etc. all for relatively little money, no insurance needed. Here's hoping the country you're visiting will be able to offer similar services should you need them. Fingers-crossed that you don't.

I'm going to Nicaragua, and a small outskirts town to boot haha.

The hospitals there are horrible. The best best is a clinic, and the medication there is insanely cheap and no need for a prescription but a pharmacist here told me that they don't have the FDA there to regulate and make sure the drugs aren't tampered with and she wouldn't recommend I take them (I got my e medicine on my last trip there, 20$ for a months supply when here it's $140).

I made an appointment with my primary care physician so hopefully (they are cheaper) they can help me out. Last time they didn't want to mess with my medication at all.
I've tried 4 different e meds so far and none of them, in hind sight, have done anything to control the e at all. So I don't know if they will be willing to change it up, or if I want them to this close to a trip to Nicaragua. But fingers crossed a scrip of 5-10 Ativan is reasonable

Thank you for the advice :)

Next Question:

Would you feel comfortable purchasing your medication in Nicaragua (a third world central American country)?

Like I've previously mentioned, I was able to get my Tegretol for $20 for a month supply when it's $140 here in the states (due to lack of insurance)

I'd love to save the money until I qualify for insurance in late August. Maybe get some anti biotice in case I ever need them, migraine medication, of course e medication and maybe some Ativan.

But a pharmacist here said not to trust it because it isn't FDA regulated. That presents concerns but let's face it, I don't trust the FDA or the big pharma companies. It took years to convince me to go on e meds. I'm going to ask my PC doc tomorrow, just curious others opinions

Last edited:
Which is worse for someone with epilepsy: No meds, or meds that might or might not be safe/effective....

You might read the article at this link: http://www.nicaragua-guide.com/medical-services.html
It suggests that as long as you are buying from a reputable pharmacy (ask around), you will be getting an acceptable product.

BTW, watch out for mosquitos. You don't want to get the Zika Virus!

The pharmacy we go to is at the Maxi Pali, which is owned by Walmart. It's their version of a Walmart so I assume it's a good one?

Speaking of Zika, I was pregnant during my first trip and it was announced the week of our return that they had Zika there. I spent my entire pregnancy terrified haha. Thankfully she was great when she was born.

Thank you for that link, it has so much useful information!

I saw my PC yesterday who recommended I not go out of the country, at least not until I see my neurologist. This is the second trip I'm going in against doctors orders. I was 8 weeks pregnant on my first and the doc said no. I went and everything went perfectly.

But my PC gave me 20 Ativan to carry with me in case of emergency. I told my husband what she and the pharmacist said, stick it under the tongue if I have a seizure. I will also let one of the peeps (or the whole group, I know them all they just don't know about my e) what to do if I have a seizure and I have purchased through eBay a necklace pill case to keep the Ativan. I do worry what may happen if I'm carrying it around without a prescription but most medicines don't come in your name over there so as long as it's in the bottle during customs I should be alright.
She didn't increase add or change my mess though. I told her I'd had 4 seizures in 3 days, she asked what type of seizure, and didn't seem to worry to much because they were complex and not generalized. I told her with my pattern when I start having a lot of complex seizures they build up and I start having generalized seizures and that's why I have the Ativan.

I don't want to increase my mess or add another or try another with tons of side effects but I do want these episodes to go away.

I don't know if it's the seizures or the medication but my memory and cognitive skills are greatly declining as the year goes on. If it's the medication I definitely don't want to increase.

Either way though I have Ativan to help if I go status so that's a huge relief

good luck, I hope you have a great seizure-free trip! :)

Back
Top Bottom