alcohol induced seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Well now just to be clear I wasnt born with a bottle in my hand if your trying to be funny. But I do know what you mean. I live in MA and have never been to boston for the festivities. I like to stay safe at home usually.

No not funny. I find it stupid how the city has to cage people in like animals because otherwise they would be running into traffic and such. These are UNIVERSITY STUDENTS not high school kids yet they act like idiots

Preach on! I dont mind hearing it. I know its a bad habit and one we have actually joked about in the past. "We are functioning alcoholics" its really quite depressing. Just because I work and take care of business doesnt mean im functioning. I'm so far from that. My daughter would have nothing without me. So thank you for being honest.

Well, the truth is if you didn't have a problem with alcohol you wouldn't be thinking about "cutting down" nor would you be uncertain if you can quit the vodka. Social drinkers, people without drinking problems, don't have such thoughts. It never occurs to them.

This is true but dont they say there are stages to being an alcoholic? Denial being one? Im not in denial i know im drinking waaay too much these days. Im the first to admit it. Dont get me wrong...if my boyfriend works or goes out on a camping trip on the weekend I don't drink. I dont drink during the week (he still does). Its not like I dont know how to not drink I just have always really enjoyed letting loose at home. Dancing and singing and staying up late laughing. I just never saw the harm in what I was doing to myself - to my brain. But thank you. The added comments are just the thing I need to put my thoughts in concrete blocks and tie them to my wrist'..this will make it difficult to pour myself a drink this weekend. Wish me luck

@george. I think you read my post backwards. I NEVER drink if hes not around. What fun would that be?:banana:

Alcohol is known to amplify insulin secretion which may lead to hypoglycemia-induced seizure. Someone with gut dysbiosis would be more prone to hypoglycemia induced by alcohol.

I know of someone who halted her seizure disorder with the right diet and good probiotics (I believe it was Natren Healthy Trinity). Then when she went off to college and started drinking she had a seizure.

Alcohol shifts gut flora in the wrong direction because it makes the gut more alkaline, allowing microbial overgrowth/imbalance, similar to the warnings about proton pump inhibitors like Prilosec which lower gastric acid.

Last edited:
Would that show up in blood work? I don't know what gut dysbiosis is but I will check it out.

Also interesting is some people don't need to drink to be drunk, called auto-brewery syndrome where gut microbes like yeast, clostridia and E. coli manufacture alcohol.

Last edited:
I do have symptoms of IBS. Have for the last 14 years since I had my daughter before I started drinking. It's worth checking out. Thank you

I give myself a pat on the back this moring. Only 1 small drink last night (vodka :shot and 1/2 with cranberry juice) it wasnt enjoyable since I've always only drank to get drunk and have fun. My boy friend had several to my 1. I've proven to myself I have self contorl in these situations that would otherwise have me finishing the bottle. Maybe I can rub off on him and we can explore a healthier lifestyle together. I plan on discussing this with my neurologist next time in detail. I'd like to explore the idea ...if alcohol is causing my seizures will I be able to stop alcohol and AED altogether or am I stuck having to take AEDs regardless...meaning it's too late.

I would suggest getting off the booze first. Then let your brain get used to that. Then back off the meds slowly.
Quitting the booze is going to be stressful both physically and emotionally.
One thing at a time. Let the meds help you through that transition. Once your system is cleaned out, then you will have a better idea if you really need the pills or not.

Stopped drinking due to alcohol-related seizures. I would not sleep through the night and get really bad complex partials the next morning.

Just for reference it used to be no problem for me to down an entire flask of Crown whiskey within a night's festivities. Even when I'd drink a gallon of water before bed I'd have issues the next day, generally hangover related. My sleep cycle app said that went I'd go to bed for 6 hours I would only get about two hours of actual sleep, which contributes to the partials.

When drinking with friends I'll have a glass of red wine and soda for the rest of the night. I take a lot of ribbing from friends who are throwing back bottles of Grey Goose, Crown, & Hennesy, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Last edited:
I take a lot of ribbing from friends who are throwing back bottles of Grey Goose, Crown, & Hennesy, but you gotta do what you gotta do.
You will be having the last laugh later in life when they all have rotting livers and you are still going strong.

You will be having the last laugh later in life when they all have rotting livers and you are still going strong.

Boo don't say that on the 17th!

I think I'm a up - down drinker. Go clean for few months then crash and burn drinking jugs of alcoholic beverages

I survived st patties day. I did however get a phone call from the local PD last night saying they needed me to come pick my drunk father up and by the time I got back home my bf was down about 4 guinness and probably 5 shots of whiskey. Needless to say I wasn't in much of a party mood by that time and my teenage daughter also thought it was a good night to completely cut him down and tell him how much she hates my bf because he grounded her from electronics the night before...he's been in our lives for over 11 years. She's 14 and I'm blown away by how rude she was towards him. I think I need a parents of teenagers forum to write in next. ..

Back
Top Bottom