another neuropsychology test

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

seizuregirl

Stalwart
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had received a letter from Social Security saying that my epilepsy was doubted again, I no longer have epilepsy, and my short-term memory no longer exists and, somehow, I have my long-term memory again.

I went to the local gov't building to have another test with a neuropsychologist,
I had to tell them who my neurologist was, what hospital he was in so they could verify with him that I was being treating still. And I again, went through the same test I had 3 or 4yrs ago.

The most frustrating part of having it done is how long it takes. I was there for 3hrs, and it seems like I had to do the same test again, and again. I might not have, but I just hadn't wanted to be there since they had 4dr's that had confirmed 4 or 5yrs. ago that I have epilepsy and it won't ever be controlled with any medication/s or with any neurosurgery.

Ya gotta love Social Security. If it's something they can't see you must not have it.

Hi Seizuregirl,
I've had to have the same testing you have had done at least 3 times. Once before surgery then again after surgery then they did it a few yrs. later. The test should that my short term memory wasn't as good as it used to be thanks to the seizure meds I've had to take all of these yrs. and the Dr. removing my right hippocampus. My seizures decreased after surgery but just like you not a single med will stop the seizures. I found out I was drug resistant after having a DNA test done and now I'm using the medical marijuana which has been a great help.
I Wish You Only The Best Of Luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

My Father came home a few hours ago and he asked me what I remembered from yesterday, nothing really, my Father said that he had asked, when do I have seizures, how I feel before, during, after having one, I couldn't describe anything for the 1st 3 questions but I could for the 4th easily, it doesn't happen every time, but there can be a puddle of liquid that happens quite a bit when it's done, not always of course, the few times I've hurt myself and being very tired, then his asking my Father what happens before, during and after one from a different view, and of course, why, when and where I had surgery and what meds I was taking.

And my Father told me that it looked like I had convinced him a very short time into the test that my memory hasn't returned, and I'm still having seizure's because of what we had told him. He also told me that the dr's attitude a few min's after starting the it had changed, and he had what looked like a smile you get when your trying not to laugh out loud, So my Father is sure that I won't have my disability cut off. And i'm not too offended about his wanting to laugh at me, I laugh at myself all the time!

My Father told me that he still has to meet with my Dr. too before any decision can be made, and he's sure nothing will change, but if it does, we'll have no worries about going back to court with them again.

Last edited:
It's ridiculous that they make you jump through so many hoops. They should reimburse you for the time you spent re-taking the neuropsych exam.

Do you know how many years after you start to collect Social Security Disability for seizures that they can keep checking on it and possibility have it cut off?

Do you know how many years after you start to collect Social Security Disability for seizures that they can keep checking on it and possibility have it cut off?
It took them 5 years to check on me the first time. They've checked on me every two years since.

Back
Top Bottom