antihistamines and partial complex seizures

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
Does anyone here think they ever had a seizure because they took an antihistamine? I just read a book called Partial Seizure Disorders that mentions antihistamines as a possible cause of seizures.

In the past I had taken benadryl right before a couple of swim races so I could breath better and I had no problem. But in October I took a benadryl and I had a seizure 20 minutes later while I was driving. In the past I also have had seizures at night while I was sleeping and I often took Benadryl at night for my alergies.

Has anyone else ever wondered if taking an antihisamine caused a seizure for them?

Yes!....definitely!......

Sudafed is an absolute killer for me! It seems to really lower my seizure threshhold (as if the presence of severe allergies isn't bad enough!).

I have settled on using Claritin to battle my allergies or toughing it out...the epi said it won't interfere with Zonisamide(Zonegran) and Trileptal use.

Does anyone here think they ever had a seizure because they took an antihistamine? I just read a book called Partial Seizure Disorders that mentions antihistamines as a possible cause of seizures.

In the past I had taken benadryl right before a couple of swim races so I could breath better and I had no problem. But in October I took a benadryl and I had a seizure 20 minutes later while I was driving. In the past I also have had seizures at night while I was sleeping and I often took Benadryl at night for my alergies.

Has anyone else ever wondered if taking an antihisamine caused a seizure for them?

No Wonder about it! I ended up in the ER on Benadryl and my pharmacist called my doc when she watched me fall out in the pharmacy after I'd taken a sudafed. Anihistimines and seizures\seizure meds are not a good combo.
Here's a link to more information:

Drugs that may lower seizure threshold : Epilepsy.com/ProfessionalsDrugs that may lower seizure threshold ... antihistamines baclofen heavy metals hyperbaric oxygen lithium mefenamic acid oral hypoglycemics ...
professionals.epilepsy.com/page/table_seniors_drugs.html

Zoe I tried to do a cut and paste on that link and it failed.

I am glad to know this, as a mom, I would reach for Sudafed as a sure bet.
Benadryl sent my ASD son into crazy mode as a young child. I was expecting sleepiness and he was bouncing off the walls, and that is putting it mildly.

Last edited:
Hi forward2007, welcome to the forum. :hello:

Oops!
Forward2007,I too want to welcome you to the forum. Glad you joined us.

Thanks for the welcome. I'll be posting lots of questions on the forum :tup: :cheers:

:hello: Forward!

Looking forward to meeting you!
:D

(Couldn't resist saying that!)
Welcome to CWE! And you're correct
in regarding to the meds and CP's.
I can't even take Nyquil or stuff
like that, and there goes my list of
No-No's ... and I feel like a 3 year
old sometimes! No, you can't have
this. No, you can't do that.

How about some Yes, I can do this?
Yes, I can take that?
:agree:

Would the same seizure threshold rule apply to cough syrup? My cough syrup (Wal-Mart brand) contains 6.25 mg antihistimine? :ponder:

Forward2007,

I just had to add my piece, it's from an earlier post:

check with your pharmasist or Dr. but if you are on ANY AEDs, definately don't take any over the counter cold or flu meds (anything containing antihystimine and/or decongestant as the chemical reaction CAN be fatal.)

I speak from 28 years experience of being on AEDs.
I was told (and experienced myself) internal bleeding or nose bleeds from most headache meds exept Tylonol. That's the only one that I can take that doesn't react to my seizure meds.

I can't take aspirin, IB Profen, Advil, Exederin or Motrin, just Tylonol.

I took 2 Advil once by mistake and had massive nose bleeds that wouldn't stop. At the time I didn't think it had anything to do with the meds then it happened again just a couple of days before I had to see my neurologist. I happened to mention this to him and he was very concerned and said that I was lucky that I didn't bleed out through my stomach.

This is more of a problem in my case because I also take meds for my ulcerative colitis.

This warning is not documented on any OTC cold/flu meds literature.
I don't know why the FDA doesn't make this info manditory.

Regards

Randy

I keep trying to find some more info on this and can't seem to pull anything up.
Found some facts that antihistamines can trigger seizures, but nothing about internal bleeding.
Can anyone help pull something up?

My Neurologist told me that taking Benadryl would be safe as long as I followed the directions so I question how well known it is that antihistamines can cause seizures.

My Neurologist told me that taking Benadryl would be safe as long as I followed the directions so I question how well known it is that antihistamines can cause seizures.

I had to take another dose of Benadryl last night i feel like crap today was sick to my stomach weak dizzy....

you guys might be right.... i see my neuro again in January so ill ask him.... its not something I've ever taken a lot of ...

the rash is gone now though:) :woot:

I know it is hard to drink water all the time.... I sometimes add lemon or lime just to have a different taste....:tup:

Just remembering is hard for me, but I am going to connect it to this machine, and won't allow myself to touch a key, until I have taken my glass and downed the contents.
(We are talking H20 here folks)

happened to me

I too had a seizure after backpacking in CO and taking an antihistimine. I have mentioned this to 3 nero docs and none of them had said anything -- so it is great to have the confirmation.

I went to the Dr. Friday and he was less than convinced that the seizure I had while driving was caused by the Benadryl I had taken twenty minutes before the seizure happened. He did agree I should play it safe though and switch to a different antihistamine.

Back
Top Bottom