anxiety

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

TeeJay

New
Reaction score
I hope I'm doing this correctly.

My med (Vimpat) is now giving me anxiety attacks. I thought I was having seizures but apparently not. The EEG was good. My dr seems to not care about the side effects, which also include heart beats so fast it feels like a heart attack. I need opinions please! Do I need another doctor? I attended the funeral of a good friend on Weds and had to leave half way through. Just couldn't handle the anxiety. This is not like me, I used to be a pretty tough girl! I can only assume it's the anxiety. Would love to hear some of your opinions, am very frustrated. He also gave me klonopin for the anxiety. Maybe all meds give a person these side effects, I'm still too new to this to know. Thanks much! I wish everyone a happy valentine's day and NO SEIZURES!!

TJ

Hi and welcome! I think that it's really important for us to be really knowledgeable about what's going on with us, and also to be very assertive with our doctors when it comes to med side-effects that are not tolerable. I have told my neurologist on a several occasions that I would not continue taking a particular med (Keepra, Zonegran and Triletptal, to be specific) because I was not willing to live with the side-effects. There are always other meds that you can try. I also don't like the idea of taking a second med to deal with the side-effects of the first. We have enough pills to put in our bodies as it is. If you "fail" on 4 or 5 different meds either because of poor seizure control or intolerable side-effects you might consider looking into vns. I've been on anti-convulsants for over 30 years and only found out about vns in the past 6 months or so, and it was from this site, not from my neurologist, which kinda ticks me off. It's a viable treatment option for many people and I think we, as patients, have a right to be informed of all of our options so we can make a choice of what we want to try. It doesn't work for everyone, but it seems like the right thing for me and I wish I would have known about it yeas ago! Best of luck with everything. Keep us posted!

Cheers!

Thanks for the advice - what is vns? Vimpat is my 3rd try at this. I guess I can tolerate the side effects - if I want to cry everyday and have the rapid heart rate randomly. These things I seem to have no control over. Very frustrating. On the other hand, I am much better off than others who are still having seizures. At least those seem to be controlled at this point. Thanks much, nice talking with you...

Hi Teejay, welcome to CWE!

VNS = Vagus Nerve Stimulation. It's a bit like a pacemaker for the nervous system. More here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vagus_nerve_stimulation

I think you call your doc and let him know that you want off the Vimpat as soon as possible. The info below is from the Vimpat site:
Stop using Vimpat and call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:
•double vision;
•feeling like you might pass out;
•fast or pounding heartbeats, fluttering in your chest;
•feeling short of breath;
•fever, skin rash, swollen glands, flu symptoms;
•bruising, severe tingling, numbness, pain, muscle weakness;
•nausea, upper stomach pain, itching, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or
•lower back pain, cloudy or bloody urine, swelling, rapid weight gain, urinating less than usual.

Sometimes being a "squeaky wheel" can be crucial to your treatment. If you feel like your doctor isn't listening to you, then it's important to find another who will.

Hey TeeJay.

This is the first anxiety problem I've heard of from Vimpat. I use it with great results and the only other effects are drowsiness and dizziness. I don't agree that giving you more drugs should be the response to the effects of another drug. I have switched medication before due to side effects.
It is important to remember that you are really the one in charge when you see your neurologist. Anxiety is a big issue and often times can be a trigger for more seizures. If you think you should be trying different medications, it is your doctors job to find the right ones. That's what you're paying them for.

Good luck. :)

Thanks, I have at least half of those symptoms. Think I may switch doctors. It seems as if he doesn't know about these side effects, though I just saw him Weds and bawled in his office I was so frustrated. Thanks much,

Tj

Thanks for the advice. The anxiety is getting worse, as is the stomach pain and heart pounding. As far as changing drs, he is the only game in town. Will find one in a nearby city, that's all I can do. Again, I appreciate your help,

Tj

Back
Top Bottom