Anxiety or seizure?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

Reaction score
I have trouble figuring out if I'm having anxiety or seizures I'm under a lot of stress at work so my seizure activity has increased but every once in a while I can't decide if it's anxiety or if it's seizure related or at the two go hand-in-hand. so I'm wondering how you can tell if it's a seizure or if it's anxiety.

It's easier when we discuss generalized seizures that they're not anxiety related although when I used to black out I thought that they were because they were a tonic and I thought the stress just made me pass out. now that I know that I'm having partials, sometimes I can't tell if it's a partial seizure or if it's just some kind of stress or anxiety related thing. so does anybody know how to tell the difference?

A big part of my aura is also anxiety and panic before I have a generalized seizure so that just makes it even more confusing ha ha. This is why I was misdiagnosed for so many years and treated under mental health.

so I'm wondering how you can tell if it's a seizure or if it's anxiety.
That's a tough one, since physiological stress responses can be the seizure and can also cause one. There are few things that would suggest one or the other:

1. If you make any involuntary motions -- even very slight ones, such as raising your arm or your hand -- then it's likely to be a seizure.

2. If you feel the sensations of unexplained fear or epigastric rising (the butterflies stomach), then it's likely to be a seizure.

3. If you can stop or derail the symptoms, then it's anxiety. (Easier said than done of course, but it's worth learning some stress reduction techniques such as focused breathing, or use of acupressure points to see if they help.

I hope you can find ways to reduce your work stress -- that would be ideal in either scenario!

I can totally relate to this, as it can be difficult to tell if I'm under allot of stress.

I try to keep my stress levels down, but it can be a task in a busy world. I just do the basics: breath, meditate, listen to calming music, etc.

Anyway, I'm not really an anxious person until I go beyond my limitations of being stressed out, and my brain lets me know when to take a break real fast! I do get anxiety attacks (partially) when stressed, and sometimes -- I find it difficult to distinguish between an anxiety attack or some form of seizure.

Also, a big part of my auras are anxiety attacks, adrenaline rushes and an overall feeling of fear!

I was at college a couple of weeks ago, and I felt so out of it and bizarre as if everything was a dream and the fear was intense! I had horrible thoughts and sensations. I thought maybe a seizure was coming on and my brain was too stressed. Fortunately when I got home, it passed.

Anxiety can make us feel so many bizarre and strange sensations.

Back
Top Bottom