Any experience with Dr. Jonathan Walker (Dallas)?

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy Forums

Welcome to the Coping With Epilepsy forums - a peer support community for folks dealing (directly or indirectly) with seizure disorders. You can visit the forum page to see the list of forum nodes (categories/rooms) for topics.

Please have a look around and if you like what you see, please consider registering an account and joining the discussions. When you register an account and log in, you may enjoy additional benefits including no ads, access to members only (ie. private) forum nodes and more. Registering an account is free - you have nothing to lose!

I do hope the NFB helps you out. If you care to keep us updated start a thread in the History Book & let us know how things go.

Just a footnote, be aware that there is a difference between Kinesiology and Applied Kinesiology.

Still thinking about whether or not do it... Like I said, the applied kinesiology stuff made my common sense BS meter go off.. On the other hand, I don't want to be close minded and miss out on something that could be helpful.

Does anyone know of any other respected NF practioners available in the DFW area?

Hi Dignan,

We tried NFB last summer.

The practioner we saw did not do any of the things that you described during the evaluation.

All the best to you.

Take Care:e:

Bernard,

I saw that you still thought this guy was legit even with his applied kinesiology method in the screening. But, I wondered if you thought I might still be better served trying someone else entirely, and if so, was ther another NF practitioner in the DFW area that you know of who is well respected?

Also, I've read some of your wife's experiences with NF and Rebecca's story, but I wanted to ask you directly how much of a sustained difference you felt the NF made in your wife's condition, and was it ultimately worth the money and time and effort?

Thanks,

My wife once saw a chiropractor that used applied kinesiology (AK). That chiro was a quack (IMO) and we stopped seeing him before long. However, the AK tests that he did while I was present were completely harmless. I found it interesting, but nothing to be frightened about.

I said I thought Dr. Walker was legit based solely upon what I know of his work with NFB. He is one of the pioneers of the QEEG guided protocol in treating epilepsy. His work has been published.

As long as AK isn't part of the ongoing NFB process, I don't see any problem. The QEEG guided protocol for treating epilepsy appears to have a damn good success rate. It's a defined and reproducable method that is scientifically sound as far as I can tell.

With Stacy, the NFB completely eliminated her multiple, daily absence seizures. It was partly responsible for her enjoying 4 years of 100% seizure control without any AEDs. It was a "golden age" for her - she was high functioning - thinking with great clarity and alacrity.

Even when her hormones went helter skelter after delivering our first child and she started experiencing TC and CP seizures again, the absence seizures never returned. Even though she needs Dilantin today to help prevent seizure activity, she still functions better (esp. maintaining control when she gets excited in some fashion) than she did before the NFB.

Yes, the money and time we invested in the NFB was definitely worth it - straight up in a financial sense if you estimate the cost of 4 years of meds we didn't have to buy + potential medical [ie. ER] expenses we didn't have to pay versus what NFB cost us, not to mention the unquantifiable benefits of normal cognition and zero stress/fear about seizures (during that 4 year span).

On this thread on Dr. Walker.
I have known him for a few years, been to a workshop of his, had long discussions with him and worked on a homicide death penalty case with him, so I have had time to see the man up close. The jury, the STate and the defense found him very credible. He presented the results of a QEEG I did because I unfortunately became quite ill at that time.

Dr. Walker has always been in my experience a gentleman, a gentle man and non defensive, listening carefully to questions and entertaining views different than his own.

His article in Clinical EEG and Neuroscience passed a peer review process. The peer reviewers in this journal are tops in the field of neuroscience and the journal is a very high quality journal.

Onc can never guarantee the behavior of office staff, but Dr. Walker is a fine and competent practitioner that I would not hesitate to engage. His seizure and Neurofeedback work is QEEG driven.

As for the complaint, as a 30 year licensed practitioner this sort of thing is unrelated to one's competency and the amount of the fine and the nature of the phrasing as presented in the post is indicative of a very minor more bureaucratic infraction than a competency problem.
Best,
Gerald Gluck, Ph.D. SF-BCN

Blondie,

What was the result of your NFB experiences? Did you find it helpful?

For those that are interested, I had the QEEG done recently... It didn't take very long and was one of the easiest EEGs that I've ever done (in terms of getting goop stuck in my hair or length of time taken, etc). I basically had to wear the EEG cap and stare at a spot on a wall for 5 minutes then a short break, then another 5 mins. Then, I had to do another 2, five minute sections with my eyes closed.

The whole process from getting in, to getting fitted with electrodes, to doing the procedure took about 40 to 45 mins. It was conducted by a technician not the doctor and I didnt get any feedback other than he was pleased that I didnt move or blink much which gave him results pretty much artifact free.

I have to wait almost a month for my follow up visit with the doc to hear the results.

That's good to know. I may try neurofeedback this fall, and of course the qEEG will be a part of it.

Awesome! When Stacy had her QEEG's done, we always got to see the charts showing what was measured and how it compared to the norms that are expected.

I hope you have success.

I see the neurologists at UTSW...pretty much traditional treatment. I had a left temporal lobe necrotic lesion that was removed,and have been seizure -free.
That being said,I am open to non-traditional treatment,especially if it means you can cut down on some meds.Before my surgery,I was on FOUR seizure meds to try and control.

We have been going to Dr. Walker for about a year now. Since we don't live in TX, we fly out there and stay for about a week at a time to do about 2 sessions a day. We had a first QEEG followed by a recommendation for 25 sessions (with 4 locations done each time). We did 5 to 10 sessions per trip with 1 to 3 months break in between.

Previous to the sessions, our son (9 years old - seizure on set 6 years old) had seizures when he had a fever and right before school started in the fall (maybe due to anxiety). They are simple partial seizures with visual and tactile perceptual changes like things looking bigger/smaller or faster, fingers feeling bigger. They usually last up to 10 min and goes away. Prior to starting Lamictal, his would have the initial seizure then a few small ones (a few second ones) for up to 3 weeks everyday. He also had anxiety and fear before sleep every night and could not be talked out of it. It is as though the fear was stuck and can't come out of his head as he put it. With the Lamictal, he gets the initial seizure with a fever the first night of a fever and none after that. He still had fear episodes once in a while before being sick but it went away quickly.

Although he only had seizures maybe 1 or 2 times a year (from fever), since the he still got them with a fever and despite being on medication, we decided to try NFB hoping that he can me med free/seizure free.

Back to the sessions, the first time we went, we did 10 sessions and he seemed better than ever. He was having some fear/anxiety once in while and especially right before being sick (not sure if it was related to the seizures or just him being tired). Anyways, all that was gone.

After the second set (5 sessions), he seemed generally out of it and his hand writing seemed to have gotten worse. This I am not sure if it was related to NFB or just him getting used to more homework in school etc.

He had a fever a few weeks after this last protocol. (So after 15 sessions.) I brought the fever down to about 99.5 before sleep but he still had a seizure about 1 1/2 hour after sleep. He usually cries and starts breathing hard like he is really anxious and is out of it for about 5 - 10 min then once he is awake, he still is having the visual/tactile type seizures but is aware of what is going on. This is usually accompanied but high anxiety and fear and we sit up with him for about 40 min until he falls asleep. This time it started about 1 1/2 hours after sleep as usual but he seemed more aware, we could actually ask him what he is seeing etc. (usually he is out of it and can't seem to understand us or is not aware). When we were sitting up with him, his anxiety went away pretty quickly and when asked if he is anxious, he said no although he still had the visual seizures. So it seemed like an improvement. Since his is not a motor type seizure we really can't "see" the difference/improvement but what we could gather with the increased lucidity as well as the marked decrease in anxiety appeared to be very good signs. Also, that same night his fever went up again around 4:30am. I was laying down with him (I always do this when he has a fever to watch over him), and he had his eyes closed but said mom, I am seeing things again and then went back to sleep a few seconds later. I also see this as a good sign in that if he has a second seizure in a night, he usually has to wake up again and sit up for awhile for it to go away which we did not have to do this second time.

After the third set of sessions (5 sessions), He was a little scared before sleep about sharks but we could actually talk him through it and he went to sleep right away. A couple of days after the sessions, he was watching Scooby Doo where a scary guy cuts what appears to be an arm with red stuff splurting out. Then the scene pans to show that the arm is in facta sub sandwich. He was scared that night but was still consolable. Other than that, he seemed really good.

After the fourth set of sessions (5 sessions - last protocol) he had extreme anxiety the night before the last day in TX/sessions, and was so emotional, he was crying, and fearful. We mentioned this to the NFB therapist who said they will speak to Dr. W. Anyways, the therapist said that we should finish the protocol so we did that. Our son to a much lesser degree, but still had irrational fear like scared that someone will enter our house, and we had to sleep with him. This continued for 2 weeks and suddenly stopped. Otherwise, his hand writing has improved and he was doing fine in school. This by the way was the last of the 25 sessions originally suggested.

He did end up having a fever for the first time in 5 months and we expected him to have a seizure as usual but he did not experience any. I am not sure if it was bec of the NFB or because I got the fever down before sleep and he only had a low grade fever all night. (Although in the past I have gotten the fever to about 99 deg. and he still had a seizure after falling asleep.) I looked at this as an improvement brought on by the NFB.

After the second QEEG, it showed improvement but high betas in the front part of the brain and some low thetas in small areas. Dr. W said that the high betas can cause anxieties. Anyways, he suggested another 10 sessions to fix these two areas.

We did the 10 in a week (2x a day). After these sessions, he again had some anxiety but to a much much lesser extent. He did want someone to lay down with him for a few days (5 days) after but was fine after that.

After the last set of protocols: One day I was working on homework with him and was a little hard on him. He did smell something like a glue stick all of a sudden. I didn't smell anything. Wasn't sure if it was a seizure. When he went outside the front door or out the garage, he didn't smell it (for smell type simple seizures, does it go away if you go to another area/location?) but when he went back to the desk, he could smell it again. We tried it a few times with the same results, where when he went outside or the garage, he couldn't smell it but could back in the house. So maybe it wasn't a seizure. This was followed by a scary feeling like he didn't feel safe in the house after I mentioned that maybe something is wrong.

After I was easier on him with the HW and was calming, the fear dissipated quickly and he felt fine. So I don't know if this was a seizure related (can anyone help me with this if a seizure can just go away like this?)

So am not sure if what I just described was a seizure. If someone can give me feedback as to whether a sensory/smell seizure comes and goes depending on location, and whether a psychic seizure /fear goes away after the stress is gone?

Anyways, back to the NFB. So we hadn't done a QEEG yet, but are planning to go back either in Jan/April of next year to do one and to see if he needs anymore NFB. According to the last QEEG, the improvements there. Whether it is really helping with his seizures is harder to tell since he only gets them usually with a fever. But the last time he had a fever, he didn't get them (even though the temp was lower) so that seems like good news.

And although he did had the side effect of anxiety after some of the protocols, they seem to just slowly go away. I am sure if he was only going twice a week, maybe that would have given him enough time for his brain to adjust and rest so that he may not have had the side effect as opposed to doing 2 time a day or 10 a week back to back. I am thinking that his may be the reason he had the side effect.

As I posted before, Dr. W's office is always packed and often times we are sitting outside in the hallway to wait for our sessions. I've seen the same people in the past year and they keep coming so I have to assume that it is working for people.

Last edited:
I've read anecdotally that anxiety is a potential side effect of neurofeedback. Your observations of your son suggest that this is what is happening in his case, especially given that the anxiety tends to fade as time passes after the training sessions.

It can be tough to separate out stress anxiety from seizure-related anxiety. Your best bet is to keep observing your son to see if there's a pattern, or if symptoms progress in any way.

As for the a smell aura -- the length of time is variable. They can last a few minutes, or they can last for hours or even days. In general, the smell won't go away with a change of location, but it could have also been the case that your son's aura was brief. If he continues to have olfactory auras, and/or if they are followed by headaches then they be migraine- or seizure-related. But if it was a one-time thing, I don't think you need to worry.

I got my QRRG results and was recommended to do 40 sessions which are supposed to start soon.

I have to say that I'm actually a little nervous about it, and I certainly don't want to do anything that may add something like anxiety to the list of issues I already deal with.

I've never had a ton of seizures, I'm really doing it just because I hate the meds so much.

I guess I'll just have to cross my fingers and hope for the best and hope that the NFB doesn't do anything to screw me up further.

I've read anecdotally that anxiety is a potential side effect of neurofeedback. Your observations of your son suggest that this is what is happening in his case, especially given that the anxiety tends to fade as time passes after the training sessions.

It can be tough to separate out stress anxiety from seizure-related anxiety. Your best bet is to keep observing your son to see if there's a pattern, or if symptoms progress in any way.

As for the a smell aura -- the length of time is variable. They can last a few minutes, or they can last for hours or even days. In general, the smell won't go away with a change of location, but it could have also been the case that your son's aura was brief. If he continues to have olfactory auras, and/or if they are followed by headaches then they be migraine- or seizure-related. But if it was a one-time thing, I don't think you need to worry.

Yeah, I am thinking that the smell thing was not a seizure because he couldn't smell when outside but as soon as he got back in the house, he could smell it. Since we did this like 3 times to check and the pattern repeated where he couldn't smell it outside but could inside, I am thinking that it could not have been a seizure.

As to the fear things, I think it was probably also not a seizure. He all of a sudden got the anxiety only after I said that maybe something is wrong (referring to the smell in the house). Maybe he felt anxiety like something was wrong in the house so that he wasn't feeling comfortable/safe in the house. And since it went away after I calmed him down and did some homework, I am assuming that you can't just stop a seizure by calming someone (the type of fear he had before with seizure we couldn't console him), I am thinking that it was not a seizure.

If anyone would like to add advice/feedback on above, please do so. It will be appreciated.

Anyways, thanks for the feedback and I will keep everyone posted with this experience and I encourage and hope that others doing NFB will share so we can all learn about it more.

By the way, on Dr. W's website, under patient letters/feedback/review, there is a guy that had some type of brain injury who improved after NFB who listed some of the side effects he had (which I think included anxiety - he listed about 5 different things). Despite the side effects which he said was short term, he encourages people to do NFB because of how it really helped him. It was an interesting read.

Last edited:
Awesome feedback kayochan - thanks for sharing.

When my wife used NFB the first time (not with Dr. W), it took a long time to get her brain activity normalized. The practitioner had a heck of a time adjusting the training protocol all the time because my wife didn't respond to the sessions as expected all the time. Sometimes, her brain responded too strongly and sometimes, brain waves that weren't supposed to change, changed. During the process, she had periods with anxiety, tiredness, etc. too. It worked out great in the end though. :)

I spoke to a person who is an NFB practitioner at this office and he said that while he believed in NFB therapy, especially for ADHD sufferers, he did disagree to an extent with any Dr who said unequivocolly that they could end seizures using NFB.

He said it is possible, but there are too many variables and triggers involved with epilepsy and to say that you can get rid of seizures and go medication free before any sessions have taken place was just not something he was comfortable doing.

He didn't say anything like the Dr was a bad doc, but he did say he disagreed with making those types of promises in regards to epilepsy. He still felt the NFB would be helpful and was worth a try though.

I mentioned what some others have said about anxiety and fatigue being caused by the NFB treatments and he seemed surprised by this, saying that he felt that this may be more likely in people who were already showing anxiety issues before they came in for treatment.

He also noted that the practitioners there are considered independent contractors and not actual employees of the clinic. This guy was real honest with me, and I appreciated his candor. He also seemed to make good common sense.

I also spoke to my normal neurologists office and a neurologist friend (not related to the NFB office) and they seemed to think that I should either change meds or do NFB, but not at the same time.

My normal neuro has discussed moving me back to Dilantin from Keppra since I'm not happy with how I feel on it. He said it would be better to do one thing at a time so that any transition effects can be more easily pinpointed and not confused by introducing two things at the same time.

Because of this, I am thinking of postponing the NFB for awhile because I want to change meds sooner and not have to wait 6 months for NFB to end first.

Thoughts?

I think it's best to be stable on the med you're most comfortable with before doing the NFB. Then you can best gauge the effectiveness of the NFB, and how it's changing your brainwaves (for the better ideally!)

Back
Top Bottom